How To Post Videos on the YYE Forums

In response to the question posed in How to post videos to the forums, this is a best effort guide to document the process of posting videos on the YYE forums. I’m treating this one as a wiki-like post, so please let me know if you have any suggestions or corrections in the thread below.

How to Post Videos on the YYE Forums

Step By Step Overview

1. Upload your video somewhere else
  2. Copy the embed or share URL for the video
  3. Write your forum post, and paste the embed URL on a line by itself, with an empty line before and after. Here’s an example:
Here's my totally awesome text introducing my video!

https://www.mylinkhere.com

Here's the text I intended for after the video.

Popular options for somewhere else to upload videos and a brief overview of how to do it

NOTE: This set of directions was curated using a Chrome web browser. Instructions are likely slighly different on mobile, but the general steps are probably similar.

YouTube

• Requires account
  • Supports private sharing (by link)
  • To Upload: Click “Create” → “Upload Video”
  • To get URL: Click “Share” → “Copy”

Imgur

• Does not require account, but account recommended
  • Supports private sharing
  • To Upload: Click “New Post” and drag and drop video
  • To get URL: Click “Grab Link”

Discord

• Requires account
  • Supports private sharing
  • To Upload: Click “+” and select a video to upload. Note that you do not need to actually post the video, selecting it uploads it.
  • To get URL: Discord should give you the URL after you select the video. Simply copy it.

NOTE: To my knowledge, Discord provides no guarantee around how long they will retain the video.

Instagram

• Requires account
  • Does not support private sharing
  • To Upload: Click the “+” icon (tooltip says “Create”). Select video.
  • To get URL: Click the three dot menu in the top right corner and select “Copy URL”

NOTE: Instagram embedding lately has been hit or miss for me, and has resulted in a clickable links with preview rather than a full embed.

Other

You can upload your video to any file sharing service and make the video public and try to get the YYE forums to embed. YMMV. Google drive for example doesn’t embed but does give a clickable link.

Thanks for checking out my guide. Please let me know below if you have any feedback!

15 Likes

Making second post so edits don’t bump.

4 Likes

Yo this is sick thank you. I would just advise against Instagram though bc it never embeds directly

3 Likes

I put a note on it. I think it’s an important option because a lot of yo-yo content is Instagram first. Let me know if you think I need to emphasize my note or reword it.

3 Likes

I just think it’s hella annoying that they don’t embed directly. But yah the best trick circles are on insta .

1 Like

Instagram never embed directly but is good to share your stuff if you care about share your account.
It give a clickable link that send you on instagram, you can watch the video both having or not having an account, there is only the step that open a new window.

I always copy from instagram as I would like to share the whole account.

Other than that I think Imgur is a very nice way to post videos, nice big screen on the post and easily accessible, I wish the forum get implemented with a player from the main social media!

Ah @TryCatchThrow mate you forgot also that is possible to do it from TikTok

2 Likes

Just want to add that it’s Instagrams fault that vids won’t embed here and that it’s out of yyes control.

2 Likes

I always forget TikTok because I can’t use TikTok due to my work.

I did forget TikTok but it’s because I don’t use it. If you wanted to write up instructions I can add them? I don’t intend to create myself an account.

1 Like

Im going to probably post from TikTok. I can try figuring it out without instructions though. If i find a way maybe ill reply here and give notes.

3 Likes

I you would spend the time to do that and post in this thread, you would be doing the community a big service as this thread was designed as a one stop shop for all methods of uploading video. I will thank you in advance for anything you do. :grin::+1:

1 Like

Yeah I can’t use TikTok due to my work but please if someone is willing to write up a how to I’ll be grateful. Any other methods are welcome as well.

1 Like

It was really simple to post from Tik Tok in 2 easy steps.

1. Paste the URL to your video.
  2. Click the little monitor looking icon at the bottom of the copy box.

It generates the embedded version automatically from there!

2 Likes

Thank you so much for taking the time to post that. It seems such a little thing but it helps tremendously.

2 Likes