Fixed Axle Friday Throws

You do want it to sleep, if you are having trouble with response try putting some chapstick or lotion on the string/axle. I am also tall 6’3” and I prefer a shorter string just so the yo-yo can get back to me on longer combos, I have it at belt length. I would watch the bottom of the string for fraying just in case, but I’ve found cotton strings only break on my legend wing

5 Likes
  1. Yep, should sleep. I def want to be able to vary between simple string trick combos and responsive stall combos. A trick like Stop N Go, for example, is not going to work with a wrapped string. You should have a 10+ second sleeper possible and also response which is snappy enough to return on command.
  2. Preference issue, but the shorter your string is, the fewer winds are used in a stall, which translates to less potential when you regenerate. Just play around and see what works for you. I’m 5’10 and tend to go around my belly button length, whatever that is.
  3. You do, but not as much as you think. If you’re using wood and cotton, your string is more likely to break (because cotton is fragile) and your yo-yo is more likely to be damaged (because wood is fragile). BUT if you are throwing a lot of stall tricks, you won’t need to throw down super hard. I can’t remember the last time I broke a string on wood, but it was certainly while throwing Kamikaze or something similarly long, as opposed to any kind of stall combo. Some axles can be replaced, but it depends on the yo-yo/brand. Under typical wear, axles should last you a really long time.
5 Likes

I have yet to see a pic of a worn out wood axle that needed replacement? It’s gotta be a REAL long time!

5 Likes

I’ve got one that I probably should replace, but it’s in a No Jive that belonged to Stuart Crump, and I just can’t bring myself to replace it. That axle could probably tell a lot of stories if it could.

1 Like

Yeah I have probably only worn through 2 or 3 axles (No Jives) over the years. They get a weird concave and don’t respond consistently. Others I’ve overtightened which makes them compress and twist. I’ve SCORCHED a few - like to smoking - which leaves a groove and a tell-tale black stripe. Those can sometimes, but not always be salvaged. ProYo/GT axles were a little softer and thicker and I’ve messed a few of them up. I’ve never actually ruined a replaceable TMBR axle (though I irrevocably burned some of the old ones before they came apart).

5 Likes

How do you do this, like if I wanted to do this, what should I use and how?

(I too have overtightened a TK and caused the axle to distort, which definitely ruined it. Don’t do this!)

3 Likes

2 ways: You can over-prep an axle by “burning it in”. This involves wrapping a string around an axle once or twice and pulling it through to remove any rough spots. Generally not necessary with newer smooth walnut axles, but tougher Russell axles or even No Jives it could help. Too fast/hard though and you’ll burn a groove into it. The other way is to throw really hard. Going for White Buddha, Kamikaze, Cold Fusion, etc can very easily leave a mark.

3 Likes

Yep, outside one 1 scorched NJ axle, over tightening is the only way I’ve damaged them as well.

3 Likes

Forgot all about this compilation I did for the Fixed Friday column. It’s got some axle burners for sure though. Lol @ the end.

9 Likes

Jeez even my picture got moved? Wasn’t trying to offend anyone, nor did I start the discussion.

1 Like

I thought it was cool man (just for the record) (:

1 Like

You didn’t offend anyone, It wasn’t supposed to be a witch hunt, it’s just a sensitive subject. Hope we’re still cool

1 Like

Yeah it’s no worries, just wanted it to be known it wasn’t my intent. Was just excited about my first fixed axle, didn’t think about the imagery and should have.

2 Likes

This week on the Fixed Axle Friday Throws thread there were several post on a Tuesday that were removed due to their off topic dicucussion of one companies choice of particular engraving aesthetics. Even in the Tom Kuhn Appreciation thread there are many engraved No Jives. I also thought the Ski Season was over but Purgatory keeps opening back up the lifts for this Memorial Day Weekend. To some Christians Purgatory is also the place between heaven and hell where sinners go to cleanse their souls, though some denominations deny its existence. There are not one but several Purgatory No Jive Mandala editions also in Light and Dark. Well today I am back to throwing a 3 and 1 and it so happens to be engraved with the Light Purgatory 2 Mandala Snowflake engraving in my favorite Flying Camel configuration. For srings only the best 100% cotton YYE Type-10 of course.

Have a good #fixedaxlefriday YYEF :call_me_hand:let’s see some No Jive pics :camera_flash:

9 Likes

Same as last week for me. Maple eH. Was actually one of the protos. Plays perfect. Did have a 3-in-1 in my pocket yesterday though.

7 Likes

Friday fixie is my “Aurora Moose Legend”

8 Likes

Morrow!

10 Likes

Once I’m done at work I’ll be playing Morrow as well

6 Likes

I might want to get a fixie. Any recommendations?

3 Likes

To me the gold standard is Tom Kuhn 3-in-1 No Jive. Unfortunately they don’t make them any more :frowning: so you’d be looking for used or old stock.

2 Likes