Yoyo dyeing discussion thread

Hello everyone, I’m goog and I’ve been dying yoyos for a couple of years. Something I noticed from the beginning was that there aren’t really any good tutorials or resources to get started with dyeing your own yoyos, and I had to sort of figure it out along the way. Since then, some videos and stuff have come out that are either useless, way over-complicating things, or way over-simplifying the process resulting in a waste of time or a vibey yoyo.

I’ve spent years figuring out a process and wanted to know if people would be interested in a full comprehensive tutorial for dyeing yoyos. I can also answer questions anybody has right now.

Here are some examples of my work

15 Likes

what yoyos did you use? they look beautiful.

2 Likes

Did you happen to look here…

1 Like

Those guides are outdated, as you don’t need to mess around with acetone at all to dye polycarbonate yoyos. It’s way over complicating things.
@jhb8426

4 Likes

What yoyos did you use?

First picture is the 2Sick pawn, pictures 2 and 3 are the sf plstc, and picture 4 is the yoyofactory poly edge.

4 Likes

they look so beautiful. great work.

2 Likes

@Goog is the master at dying. :rofl:
He also does the dye jobs for SF for his dyed PLSTC releases.

4 Likes

whoa, really?

1 Like

Yeah I’m not quite sure why I’m flexing when it’s not my work haha but these are some of his beautiful works.

5 Likes

do you own any yoyos that he did?

1 Like

unfortunately I haven’t yet.
I either need to buy another Motive from a certain SF website which I already own to be able to get one of the Goog dyed SF plstc.
Or there is one for trade on a different book of face bst group but paying $20 to ship a yoyo selling for $15 is a bit…
I did seriously contemplate it and it’s the soda dye colour that I wanted. But I am eyeing for the right opportunity as I’m sure there will be a good opportunity to do so soon instead of rushing.
Maybe at worlds or maybe I can get Goog to do a custom job, but I haven’t talked to him about this yet so.

Short answer, no :frowning_face:

1 Like

oh well…

1 Like

pretty sure the PLSTC is $20?

1 Like

Yeah BST has it going for $15

1 Like

Ah ok.

2 Likes

Wow! Great work!

3 Likes

Yes, always open to new methods.

3 Likes

Thanks! It’s really not too hard to pull off once you know what you’re doing! It should be more common.

5 Likes

Oh wow, tell us more about how polycarbonate has changed over the last ten years.

1 Like

I never said polycarbonate has changed. There are new products out that are designed specifically for dyeing synthetic fabrics that take really nicely to yoyos such as RIT DyeMore Synthetic and iDye Poly. Working with these it’s easier to get the color you want because there’s fewer things you have to mix. Boiling/heating water constantly allows you to have consistent colors over the same amount of time and achieve the same results multiple times. It’s dangerous to heat acetone. It’s easy to store and re-use these synthetic dyes over a long period of time. Many of these guides were made long ago and don’t tell people how to deal with dye getting on metal parts/hubs/bearing seats. My least favorite (and somehow most recommended) tutorial is the dylan kowalski tutorial, where he just chucks the whole yoyo fully assembled into a pot of dye for 20 minutes and then has to clean the bearing. None of these guides actually tell you what the best ways to clean off a yoyo are.
Messing around with anything that can dissolve the yoyo is likely to cause vibe. It’s just not optimal.

5 Likes