Yoyo dyeing discussion thread

LOVE dyed throws. You are doing some fantastic work there @Goog! I also love what @gravyoyo is doing with all the Delrin he gets his hands on. Recently purchased one of his dyed delrin Gamers from YYE and cannot wait to get my hands on it. Here are a couple I did myself over a year ago. Amplified Vinyl and Vosun V8.

Was going for a candy stripe on the V8, but ended up looking more like a bloodstain… Still a win! lol.

5 Likes

Can a dark green be achieved with dying a white plastic? Anyone have any images of yos dyed green?

1 Like

Yeah, dark green can be done, you just might need more time or to mix a dark blue with a yellow to get it really dark. This is the darkest green I ever did but I could have left it in longer

2 Likes

I’ve seen a couple of other photos with colors similar to this one…but they don’t really look all that green to me. They look more like a blue.

I’m not sure if it can be done or not…but I’m looking for something more like

Awesome dyes mang!

1 Like

My experience with the Green rit dye more is that it has a bit of a blueish/green. I’ve added a little yellow to the bath and had some decent results. Mixing yellow and sky blue can give you more of an olive drab color depending on your time in the dye.

4 Likes

Here’s a good example of using yellow under green to mellow out the blue tint of the rit green

6 Likes

I’d love to see a tutorial on how to dye polycarbonate!
Also down to contribute any way that I can.

Dylans tutorial is very rough around the edges. I was giving him pointers, but what I didnt know he was actually filming at that very moment. So it was quick and dirty.
A written guide would be awesome addition as, like @Goog said, everything out there is out dated.

3 Likes

hey @Goog are you still planing on making a tutorial for dying a throw? I really want to know how to do it right

5 Likes

@Goog I would love to know how to do this. I have wanted to try it for some time.
I would love to have a solid tutorial to learn from. Thank you,

2 Likes

@Goog have you dyed a Replay Pro?

1 Like

Hey man, it’s been on my mind but I’ve been at school for the past few months. I’m home now cause of covid so I might be able to throw something together as long as I don’t get overwhelmed by these online classes and schoolwork haha

2 Likes

I have not, I don’t really want to try dyeing a replay pro as the liquid dye could leak in under the cap and cause rusting/corrosion, and if it dried up inside it wouldn’t really look that great in the end. Besides, YYF’s already-existing colorways look great so I’d probably just buy one of those instead! I’d only try it if the yoyo was really sentimental to me and I wanted to throw my favorite colorway on there. On top of this, there aren’t many white or clear replays out there for a good base.

3 Likes

Curious as to if this tutorial exists yet?

2 Likes

Nope, am currently being overwhelmed by classes. Summer for sure.

2 Likes