Been cleaning your bearing all day with different kinds of solvent and still got dirty bearing? try the paper slip method.
What you need:
- Dirty bearing.
- Small pieces of paper cut as shown below, must be clean.
- Solvent/mineral spirit.
How you do it:
- Cut small section of paper in sharp triangular shapes, and fold it in half to increase its strength.
- Slip the paper between two balls until it stops going any further.
- Pinch both ends of the paper, close to the outer race.
- Spin the outer race of the bearing, letting the paper rub the inside part of the outer race.
- Take the dirty paper out, swap with new paper, do this until it’s clean.
- Do this also with the inner race if necessary, most likely you don’t need to.
- Clean the bearing with solvent/mineral spirit.