Paper bearing cleaning with pictures

So, you have your bearing, and your paper.

So you fold your paper like this…

Then you take the other side and fold it along the edge of the first fold…

So now it’s all nice and pointy…

And we put it in the bearing. If you can see the balls easily, clean the inner race, if you can’t, you can only clean the outer race.

Now remove your bearing and turn it around.

Clean this sides race…

And you have a clean bearing. Well done, well done. For those of you who already know this method, why did you read this far? Yeah, some people might call this redundant because there already is a thread for this, but it doesn’t have pictures. It’s hard to understand without pictures. I made pictures. That makes it good.

The last part of this instantly reminded me of beauty and the beast! (I have to watch it at least once a day with my girls.) Thanks for all the fish pictures!

Um… Okay…

So, you have your bearing, and your paper.

So you fold your paper like this…

Then you take the other side and fold it along the edge of the first fold…

So now it’s all nice and pointy…

And we put it in the bearing. If you can see the balls easily, clean the inner race, if you can’t, you can only clean the outer race.

Now remove your bearing and turn it around.

Clean this sides race…

And you have a clean bearing. Well done, well done. For those of you who already know this method, why did you read this far? Yeah, some people might call this redundant because there already is a thread for this, but it doesn’t have pictures. It’s hard to understand without pictures. I made pictures. That makes it good.

2 Likes

Thanks for taking it that extra step, GregP!

You know it. :wink:

It’s funny-- this isn’t how I do the paper cleaning technique, but it looks like it would work fine. As long as you can get some paper in between the balls and the race, it should be fine.

How do you do it? Also, HOW DO YO DO PICTURES LIKE THAT? Can you do it from an iPod?

http://yoyoexpert.com/forums/index.php/topic,49903.0.html

It’s pretty similar, which is why I think this would work fine. I make multiple smaller triangles with a finer point, and only folded over once. They pass all the way through the bearing. I kind of grab either side of the slip and pull “up/out” a bit to create additional friction against the race, and “spin” only a little bit before swapping it out for another slip.

The pictures are easily done on desktop: highlight the link and click the icon that looks like a picture. However, still somewhat easy on any other platform by doing the work manually: all it does is add a special shortcode to tell the forum software that it’s an image. It looks like [ url ](some image)[ /url ] where the square braces are actually snugged up to the “url” and “/url” parts (can’t do it for the sample or the forum software will render them invisible!).

(if the link that xxjohnsonxx pointed to already says that, sorry for the redundant info! I only got the “warning” when trying to post this).

+1 exactly