How to remove bearings

I don’t have a removal tool. My removal tool broke. I can’t wait in shipping usually what I hear when ppl ask me about this or I see threads posted.

This is what I always suggest for bearing removals, and how I do it daily.

If a tool works for you, or a 1/4 drill bit :call_me_hand:

this is what I believe is the easiest and likely everyone has a pair of these in the garage.

Posted as a separate thread so it’s easily searched.

7 Likes

I use a vicegrip with rubber coverings. That allows me to really wail on the bearing without damaging it. They have to be thick rubber coverings though

1 Like

I’ve used my needle nose to do that a few times. Works well. I haven’t found a great way to deal with an mr85 that’s being stubborn but that’s why I have a bunch of spare parts I probably don’t need.

2 Likes

I feel like so long as you don’t put the death grip on it and warp/crush the bearing this is the best way to do it. Maybe it’s just me and/or my removal tool, but it seems like you always have to really pry back and forth with it and it’s kinda sketchy to me

1 Like

Still small rocks, large ones cause the damage to the seat.

1 Like

The classic string in the bearing seat and tightening the throw always works.

2 Likes

For sure. I try to rock as little as possible and just pull in one motion if at all feasible (admittedly it frequently isn’t)

This has been added to:
Useful modification & maintenance guides – clean, repair, tune, fix yoyos

1 Like

Can you elaborate on this?

Basically put string in the bearing seat where the bearing isn’t stuck. Tighten the yoyo up and the string should get stuck under the bearing allowing you to pop it off by pulling. Used to be a super common method for removing stuck bearings.

@Shwa

1 Like

Ah!! That makes sense.

A little preventative maintenance goes a long way too. A very lite application of thin lube on the post(s) can aid in ease of future removal.

While not super common, this also prevents galvanic corrosion between the Bearing and The Yoyo material (Especially on Raw posts or posts that have become raw).

Have fun

1 Like

The metal on these is very hard. What has happened to me a time or 2 is that the outer ring just cracks or shatters from the pressure. And still it held on tight…:face_with_symbols_over_mouth: