Bearing removal tools

Other than the standard removal tool that you get with some throws or buy as an accessory, what else do you use?

I found in one of my tool boxes in the garage an old spark plug boot remover. It is rubber coated so no scratches and it seems to work well.

20221015_160906

15 Likes

i wrap a rubber band around the bearing and use needle nose pliers to get in the center trac groove. i pull straight out and avoid wiggling the prevent wearing down the bearing seat post

3 Likes

That was the idea behind using this. I never like the the tool that went inside the bearing and then had to rock it back and forth to get it off. I can pull it straight off with this.

3 Likes

Most of my throws have very precisely machined bearing posts, so i can easily remove the bearing with my bare hands. Only 2 of them need a little more encouragement. I use a simple, old fashioned wooden clothespin to convince them.

9 Likes

My two Leatherman multitools have painter’s tape around their jaws if I ever need to use them to remove a bearing. Otherwise the little tube tools work just fine.

3 Likes

I wonder about pulling the bearing off by the outside as opposed to the inside. If the bearing post is tight, isn’t there a risk of damaging the bearing by side-loading it? It seems like on some yoyos with tighter posts, it would be a lot of stress through the components of the tiny bearing.

Or am I over-thinking this?

Ivan

2 Likes

I’ll have to give the rubber band idea a go. That sounds like the best across the board —for protection, grip and being able to take it out without rocking.

Thus far have added a layer of protection in the form of an old T-shirt and used needle nose pliers. It works but I don’t like it. Slips too much.

1 Like

I still favor using a drill bit that fits in the center, or a brass/steel tube of the appropriate size if the bearing is on the axle side. My alternative is a pliers with masking tape on the jaws. If you’re gentle enough, just a bare pliers works just fine.