My bearing wont come out with plyers

i tryed with plyers but my bearing is not getting removed . the yoyo i have is deviant - offset . so what should i do

3 Likes

It can happen sometimes that seems a bit stuck, do you have proper pliers? Like the ones with the ā€œroundedā€ part in the middle are the ones I used to use and then I just bought a little tool that make it easier to remove them, gently go ā€œleft and right and upā€ at the same time, the worst that can happen is that you destroy the bearing, sometimes is needed some force, it happened thousand times to me and the yoyo never get damaged.

Anyway I recommend you to buy one of those bearing extractor tools that they sell in the Yoyo shops online, will make your life much easier!

2 Likes

i bought long nose plyers 200mm

Yes thatā€™s why probably, not the best to extract a rounded object like a bearing also with that pointed part them have.

Try with something like that if you canā€™t buy the bearing tool remover:

With the rounded part that ā€œhugā€ the bearing should be so much easier to remove

2 Likes

I have had very good luck with ZGRTā€™s yoyo tool.

You may have to visit their site to check on availability.

2 Likes

Throw it in the freezer for 10min and try it with the pliers

2 Likes

YYF makes a little keychain thingy deal that has a decent bearing remover on it. Not the best in the world but it tends to get the job done for me. Freezer sold separately. YYF is for the people.

2 Likes

Stick it in the freezer for 30 min, should pop right off. Thats enough time for the aluminum to shrink a little

1 Like

Use a bearing removal tool like the YYF Multi-Tool ā€“ YoYoExpert

1 Like

When it comes to bearing removal of any bearing ā€˜you may use againā€™ there is no such thing as the right pair of pliers(not plyers).

More bearing are ruined by being removed with pliers than all other methods combined.

If the bearing to be removed is just anyways, get the pliers and get it out.

If youā€™re simply trying to remove the bearings to clean it, removing it with pliers is worse than just leaving it dirty in the yo-yo.

Very simple explanation for this as followsā€¦ Yo-yo bearing is comprised primarily of four structures. Starting from the center you have the inner raceā€¦ Next you have the cage that retains the bearingsā€¦ Then you have the bearings inside the cageā€¦ Then you have the outer race.

The entire bearing is only stuck in the yo-yo because the inner race ID is jammed against the bearing post for one of a couple different reasons.

Using pliers on the outside of the bearing may give you some superman level strength, but that comes with a penalty. When you were using the gripping strength and leverage of the pliers in the process of trying to remove the bearing you are talking the parts against each other and compromising the strength of the bearing cage. Bearing cages by nature of construction are not that strong. Their primary mission is to contain the bearings centered between the races. So when youā€™re twisting the outer race back-and-forth youā€™re also twisting the heck out of the cage and thatā€™s not a good thing.

It is possible to remove a bearing with pliers and not cause any obvious damage to the bearing. Itā€™s not obvious damage anyway. Regardless, every bearing has a lifespan that is hard to calculate because every bearing is subjected to potentially different levels of punishment. Some people run their bearings lubed up. Some people run their bearings dry. Sometimes bearings are run in very humid conditions or dusty conditions or any other condition that might affect the lifespan of the average yo-yo bearing.

Like Iā€™ve already mentionedā€¦ If youā€™re just taking the bearing out because itā€™s junk then you never plan to use it again, pull it out, get it out, take it out, shout it out, whatever?

But if your plan is to use the bearing again after your doctorate up or whatever your plan is, make the investment in a good bearing removal tool. If youā€™re going to be throwing for the foreseeable future the tour will pay for itself many times over. Over the years people of whined to me Did you to cheap or poor to bounce for a bearing removal tool. Yet, they donā€™t hesitate to buy the next nice yo-yo that ā€˜dropsā€™.

Just think itā€™s a yo-yo as a little hot rod. If you had a 55 Chevy with a big block motor in it, you could save a whole Lotta money if you were a good mechanic by working on the vehicle yourself. And any good mechanic has the proper tools for the job orā€¦ Theyā€™re not a good mechanic.

NowI think of your yo-yos as little hot rodsā€¦ā€¦ ā€˜Youā€™ are the Mechanic. Use the correct tools for the job.

ā€¦. I remember one time several years ago, a guy got in touch with me cause he hurt I mess with yo-yos. He told me it took him about 10 or 15 minutes to get the bearing out of his yo-yo. He told me he cleaned it in acetone. And then he put some alcohol in a jewelry cleaner and he let it do itsā€™ Ultrasonic thing. He blew the bearing dry with canned air and put a drop of thin lube on itā€¦ā€¦ and it plays even worse now!

I asked him, ā€˜How did you get the bearing out of the yo-yoā€™?

He told me he use the big pair of pliers. I asked him if he thought it was possible he did some extra damage to the bearing in the process of taking it out? He said oh no, I donā€™t think so. I will get back-and-forth very carefully.

Remember one of the keys to survivalā€¦ Obviously, what you know can help you. Unfortunately what you donā€™t know can harm you. Thatā€™s where the old saying comes from that knowledge is power. People that remove bearings from yo-yos are not stupid. Theyā€™re ignorant. Ignorance by definition does not identify stupidity. Ignorance identifies a lack of sufficient knowledge that can be utilized in solving the problem at hand.

Everything in life pretty much is a learned by doing situation. One of the best things about this forum is that if you put the problem out there thereā€™s enough guys in here already that Iā€™ve done it the wrong way and will try to tell you the right way to do it to save you from having the same headaches they already went through. Sometimes suggestions help sometimes it just comes down to where are the pliers?

Good luckā€¦

PSā€¦ here is an abstract parallel for you>

Your baby brother is running around in the back yard. Suddenly, he screams for help!. You run out into the back yard and notice he is stuck in mud almost up to his crotch. You reach down to pull him out. Here are your 2 options: get both of your hands and grab him under his armsā€¦. Or just grab him by the neck and yankā€¦

Option 2 may just pull his head off.

You choose (wisely) the option that at least minimizes the potential to cause damage.

Choose wisely.

1 Like

get the round end of a 1/4" drill bit, work it side to side gently.

Unless the axle is stuck in that half.

Steveā€¦. I know that ā€˜youā€™ know this already.

But some people donā€™t.