Does anyone think multitools are terrible for bearing removal?

I mean, every time I use them to remove a bearing, it always gets stuck on the tool & it would take me a huge amount of effort to get it off.

Do you mean a bearing removal tool, or this?
https://sits-pod21.demandware.net/dw/image/v2/AAMV_PRD/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-master/default/dwa03ccb4c/large/8-rebar.jpg?sw=600&sh=600&sm=fit&sfrm=png

I use pliers. The round side of the wire cutters on needle nose pliers and I have not had any problems.
If I can find that, I just wrap the bearing in paper then use regular slip-joint pliers.
That way it will not get scratched.

YYR bearing removal tool is da bomb!
http://store.yoyorecreation.jp/images/detailed/1/BearingRemover.jpg
A bit expensive but I have yet to find a bearing that resists this tool

Yea the yoyofactory removal tools suck. They can be usable though if you file them down a bit to make the shaft smaller so the bearing won’t get stuck as bad. Not hating on Yoyofactory I;m just not a fan of their tools.

I’ve never had a problem. Given the choice I usually prefer this type:

(mine’s actually a C3 that I got at YYE, but I don’t see it in their online store right now)

…but, I haven’t had an issue with the YYF one, either.

I use my multi tool all the time, never had an issue with either that I own. The trick for stubborn ones is to put it (yoyo half) in the freezer BEFORE you use the tool.

I’ve never really had a problem with the YYF Multi Tools.  Anytime a bearing gets stuck I just get it unstuck and move on.

If you want to try something different like the X-cube version GregP posted check out the Shinwoo bearing removal tools we recently added, same thing pretty much:

Absolutely the very best way to kill a bearing😀.

With the leverage/power generated in wiggling a bearing off the seat post; too much potential for distorting the bearing cage is possible. Effectively shortening the service life of the bearing.

Obviously all bearings are Not as hard to remove as others.

The bearings that come off fairly easy, seems to give people a sense that ‘hey, pliers are ok. I used a pair to remove a few bearings’.

But those Tough bearings… Those that almost seem ‘Fused’ to the yoyo. Where you really have to Grip the pliers and twist the heck out of it to get the bearing off. Gripping the outside of the bearing can be very damaging.

The primary idea of the bearing tools that fit into the center of the bearing; is to minimize damaging/distorting the bearing cage that encases the bearing balls.

I only use pliers when I know the bearing is not going to be used again.

Proper bearing removal tools have no substitute.

2 Likes

My YYF multi tool suffers from the same problem. The bearing gets stuck on the tool and you have to exert a lot of force with your hand to pull it off. It’s the only thing I have to safely remove bearings though so I’d rather use it than something that could damage the bearing, or slip and potentially scratch up the yoyo half. I’ve heard good things about the YYR bearing removal tool, but man it’s super expensive. I’ll have to try the freezer method the next time I need to remove a bearing :smiley:

give it 10 or 15 mins in the freezer before attempting the removal. usually works like a charm for me.

Garrett, does the Shinwoo tool have a hole in the end like the X-cube tool so you can use it if the bearing is on the axle side?

My YYF tools are great, I have a bunch of them, and use them all the time.

Bought one and got a bearing stuck on it instantly, then got a massive MYY remover rod with no issues.

Of course yoyodoc will tell you the right way to do things, but where’s the fun in that? :smiley:

Yes it does, very convenient.

1 Like

can confirm total artist collects yyf multi tools…

Now we need some of your classic multi tool eye candy…

My collection, and I’m waiting for a new color. Purple, Aurora or all metal would be great. :wink:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7493/16013387508_19690ae625_z.jpgMultitools by Total Artist, on Flickr

1 Like

The YYF multitool is great for what it is (a multi-tool) and I regularly use mine to cut strings.

However, I found that on stuck bearings something like the ones Greg and Garrett posted (I have a Magicyoyo one like Panzerhacker) allows for better leverage and is more comfortable to use than the multi tool.

As yoyodoc pointed out, pliers should really be a last-resort tool. I’ve broken a couple of bearings using them to get stuck bearings off in the past, so I wouldn’t recommend them unless all else has failed. Even then, logic should dictate that if a well-leveraged bearing removal tool and some elbow grease can’t do the job, then the forces required to do so would be too much for the internal structure of your average bearing to handle. :-X

I generally use these round nose jewelry pliers I found in my toolbox of jewelry making stuff you get my yoyo bearing out. Its like the perfect size for the bearing to fix and be pulled out.

I use one of the Shinwoo style ones that YYE used to sell.