Fixed Axle Friday Throws

Lol actually an oak Bloodcell you sent me a handful of months back. Honestly one of my most used fixies love the thing thanks again for hooking my up :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

:slightly_frowning_face:

9 Likes

Looks really nice. I hope this could be fixed.

5 Likes

This Friday I cleaned up my oak TMBR and put some butcher block oil on it. Really brings out the grain and evens out the marks. Feels good too. I keep it as responsive as possible mostly for STM and stalls, so I like everything about how it reacted to the oil. I am not sure if it didn’t make it a little smoother and responsive, I don’t know if everyone would like it , but I am happy, plus I guess I can peel grapes on it now.

20 Likes

It’s not awesome, but I strung it short for my two year old to play with. She can’t really throw it so I’m not sure how this happened. Possibly stepped on. Going to try to bore out the axle and put in a dowel in its place. It won’t play the same because the original axle seems to have a groove in it.

3 Likes

I’m glad to hear that the yo is going to get a second life/chance. I hope the process of fixing it brings you joy :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Good color! It’s part of my list to recreate some of the retro Duncan Butterfly - with all the mess I’m trying to solve, there are some pushbacks, -ha!

7 Likes

19 Likes

11 Likes

Today I’m still playing on the Classic Duncan Butterfly theme and this one is a 2nd edition of the USA made translucent wide wings in green. These have a softer plastic compared to todays that are produced in China and it weights in around 50-51grams. This one is from the early-mid nineties and is still a great 0A player, working on @drewtetz Super Disco Regens. Was craving the feel of cotton today so I’m laced with YYE Type-10.

16 Likes

Super disco regen is one of my go to tricks. It just feels good when you hit it right and everything is aligned

5 Likes

FYI there is a Zipline Kot-n restock that just dropped and there is also something else there that just dropped on the sly that you fixed axle players would appreciate on this #FixedAxleFriday. The XL and the Oak look :+1:

9 Likes

18 Likes

I’m really liking TMBR. But has anyone came up with a solution for not having them fly apart besides periodically tightening them? It’s only happened a few times so far but it’s keeping me from taking them outside.

14 Likes

@edhaponik posted this up awhile back with his tips on keeping TMBRs tight

11 Likes

Tightening them is it’s own subtle art, but when you master it they don’t do that.

My process is:
a) set cap 1 to match the depth you want the axle.
b) tighten the axle against that cap by hand, keeping the cap in place w your fingernail.
c) lightly start to screw on the other half with the cap only partially on to the desired gap.
d) loosen the half again slightly and screw the cap down to the point where the gap will be correct upon tightening. (This takes several adjustments.)
e) tighten the halves against each other.

Using this process I can’t remember the last time a tmbr of mine flew apart in play.

14 Likes

To add to Ed’s video, I started using two US pennies (1¢) instead of dimes to tighten the wood thread caps.

The pennies fit a bit more snugly in the grooves and have more surface contact. This helps avoid tearing up or stripping the wood.

A quarter might work even better, but I never have any around.

5 Likes

If I take a TMBR outside, I try to let it adjust to the humidity for a few minutes and then double check the tightness before throwing.
After 2-3 throws, I double check the tightness again.
I do the same thing if I have it in my pocket for any length of time (even if I’m inside). There seems to be a humidity change from pocket to outside-of-pocket.

Then it’s usually good, unless it feels like I have a weird catch (really lopsided or just one half of the yoyo) or I hit it one something; it seems like I can hear the difference when it hits my hand funny. In that case I just check the tightness again.

It does help to keep two coins in a purse or wallet to assist with the tightening.

7 Likes

I’ll have to get back to my Butterfly retrospective later as I just can’t resist playing fresh TMBR. This one was a delightful surprise, the Zipline Wood-Z Cherry XL unengraved made by TMBR. With a diameter around 59.5mm and width around 29.5mm at 41 grams, it plays heavier than it is and is just a joy. The highwalls and slim profile coupled with some fresh [kot-n] makes this one a real 0A flipper with nice fat catchable loops. Still playing the stock [kot-n] that came strung up on it and plan to play the prototype SE (summer editions) next.

17 Likes

I love how my oak KNack is aging.

16 Likes