Fixed Axle Friday Throws

How do you guys find the Currier? I know its a popular model, but I have a take apart model and I just find the weight distribution due to the metal inserts and axle a bit off. It has similar behaviour to a Butterfly in my opinion. Great quality though.

2 Likes

As I have posted before I am a Currier fan Fixed Axle Friday Throws. They definitely have their own distinct feel. I noticed yours has Purple Heart caps. My all maple feels and plays different then the ones with the different layered laminates. The larger wooden axle and the brass insterts definitely contribute to their character.

2 Likes

if it ain’t broke…

fix it!

11 Likes

Hmm, were the rim edges more rounded in this model? It looks so to my eye? If so then I approve :+1:

3 Likes

Not really rounder. The rims are a little wider and the walls are very slightly tweaked. The change to the rims might make them appear that way? It does feel like a dif animal.

5 Likes

It’s one of my all time favorites. Luke made a take a part Currier to my specs, it’ll never leave me.

3 Likes

Last week I asked the question Collector or Hoarder? Well I have been hoarding this Friday’s throw now for almost 9 months. Starving for any TMBRs in 2018 when the eHTEENs dropped it was a chance to get my fix and fill. At first the eHTEEN I picked up during the initial drop was the Maple for its weight and the known consistant playability of maple. However the Ash just had a beautiful grain and look to it, but I was skeptical of it’s light weight. The next morning I saw there were still a few Ashes left, so I had to pick one up before they all sold out later on that day. Once I recieved them I instantly played the Maple, while the Ash was left in it’s YYE velvet pouch and hidden on the shelf to be a spare. Unbeknownst to me however, we would have a lot of amazing TMBR releases in 2019 that has been keeping me well fed with premium wood offerings. Now with anticipation for the next eHTEEN release, the Unknown branding and color way, my hoarding may revert back to collector and an eHTEEN trypditch could be on display and in rotation to satisfy my fix axle cravings. @edhaponik thanks for being the player you are, the Gondola Flip out of a Houdini stall is my new favorite.

20190830_095235

20190830_095358

Have a good #fixedaxlefriday YYEF :call_me_hand:let’s see some pics :camera_flash:

13 Likes

Looks like this will be the first eH I’m going to miss out on in a while. Going to have to search one out later on down the road. I’ll live vicariously through the trickcircles posted with them when they’re released :smiley:

3 Likes

It’s not much to look at, but I made it with scraps from around the house and it works, which feels pretty good.

14 Likes

Nice! Nothing like playing on something you made with your own hands! Each one you make after this will get better and better too!

2 Likes

Looks good! Did you use a router to make it? Something I’ve been thinking about doing.

2 Likes

I threw my tiger oak Spinworthy Boon.

14 Likes

I threw a lot my trusty blue QSH!! Does it count?

9 Likes

Thanks! I cut the rounds with a hole saw, then, yeah, router on the edges. I’m not really much of a woodworker, so my tools are all Harbor Freight level. I got lots of chatter on the edges, and the the wood isn’t exactly high quality, so makes for a pretty bumpy ride when I’m throwing the thing. Bamboo chopstick for the axle, which works okay-ish. It sleeps, it stalls, it even loops (well, kind of), so I’m pretty satisfied.

Here’s a profile shot:

10 Likes

At the end of the day, you’ve made a playable yoyo, well done!

I like the profile.

3 Likes

When are these getting released? This is torture…

2 Likes

Last I heard it’d be a couple to a few weeks. That was around a week ago, but even then it wasn’t definite.

3 Likes

Having some issues with the laser engraver… Hopefully we can get them online soon though!

5 Likes

I’m throwing my A-RT Orphan today.

This is a really good fixed axle yoyo that fits perfectly with A-RT’s design philosophy and style.

The gap is quite thin, something around 2mm. But there is no endgrain around the axle or response recesses. It relies solely on the axle and soft poplar walls for response. The species used for both the walls and axle was well chosen, tt works like a dream. It has a very powerful throw and return feel and is nice and smooth.

It has a really nice simple and classic look in my opinion. Like a yoyo that a boy in the 1940’s might have thrown that was made by his dad.

There quite a lot of thought that went into this one.

12 Likes

I never noticed it on my Orphan, but is each half two pieces of wood glued together?

2 Likes