Fixed Axle Friday Throws

Hildy Brother Currier is similar to a No Jive and in current stock. The Hildy Brothers Azalea is a great option as well if you can find one now

2 Likes

I second the Azalea

1 Like

Luke Hildebrand is a terrific person and a great craftsman. Few people get wood yo-yos the way he does.

2 Likes

Love my Curriers! Have a few of them, including a couple customs that Luke made me. Highly recommend them as well to anyone looking for a quality fixed axle.

3 Likes

Today I am going to be gushing over the latest TMBR release the Morrow. Mine is a Cherry one coming in at 47 grams. The Morrow feels amazing in the hands, it is so round and smooth with the softest wood finish. On the string it is pure TMBR magic and plays absolutely joyfully. I can’t wait for what might be possibly next from TMBR. For srings I’m only using the best 100% cotton YYE Type-10

Have a good #fixedaxlefriday YYEF :call_me_hand:let’s see some pics :camera_flash:

14 Likes

Loving my Morrow as well. Debated between the Cherry and Maple, in the end went with Maple, it’s safe knew I’d love it :joy:

5 Likes

Carlson CS for me. Super pretty day out.

8 Likes

@edhaponik always enjoy your content, your Fixed Axle Friday Back2Basix video is just one of the great references for players out there

9 Likes

Just landed Spirit Bomb on my fixie!

Just joking obviously, since that is impossible for humans.

7 Likes
6 Likes

Forgot all about that one. All I can think watching it is “wow that was me at my heaviest” and “stop talking so fast!!!” Some worthwhile nuggets of info in there though I guess. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve been throwing this one I made of photinia wood from the backyard of my childhood home.

18 Likes

Nah dude, it’s a great video. Any tips on landing that kickflip suicide though? it looks easy, but ive been trying it for hours and I cant even seem to get close to the loop. I started two-fingering the mount to get a wider string gap, but still no dice.

Almost landed a Kwyjibo today though, which I thought would have been impossible last week for me. Probably because ive been wearing that trick out of style on unresponsive.

4 Likes

That looks awesome what are the specs, is it sharing the same profile as the Harbinger?

It’s hard to give pointers on Kickflips without seeing what you’re doing. For sure you need neutral (enough) string tension. I find that it really helps to keep everything small. A big loop can be harder to catch than a small one, because a small one doesn’t have space to compress or distort much. In terms of the technique, the release is important. You kind of have to “flick” it to get the yo-yo to come around. You shouldn’t have to move your free hand much or spot the landing really. The idea is to put the loop where your hand already was. One last thing I’ll suggest is that it can be easier to control the whole thing if you pinch the string with your throw hand.

Good luck. Kickflips were a HUGE step in figuring out how a developing modern fixed axle style might work.

7 Likes

The profile is a bit different to a Harbinger. Its flatter rim and more curved at the gap. It’s a bit hard to tell in this photo here.

Specs are 56mmX31.4mm at 57.9g. I created this one at these specs to keep the yoyo comfortable even though it’s a really heavy wood.

9 Likes

That’s a beauty Glen. Great spalted figuring in that wood.

4 Likes

Just the type of pointers I needed, thanks for the advice! Ill figure this out eventually I think.

Also, landed the matrix earlier. Its going to take a bit more practice to get cold fusion down though. Not sure if im good enough for that one yet, even though I can do the trick in my sleep on an unresponsive.

4 Likes

The Baldwin I purchased in the shop here way back . My go to fixie

7 Likes

It’s almost been six months since the TMBR eHTEEN drop and there has been some discernment on the Forums about keeping them from coming apart. In response @edhaponik made a little how to set up video for the community. I personally haven’t had any issues with my maple eHTEEN as I was knowledgeable about the dime trick in setting up the gap and tightening the caps from previous TMBRs. Being that folks have been playing them now for 6 months, I am curious how everyone’s are holding up. Couple of months back I wacked mine on a tile floor and splintered the edge, I remember Ed had posted an Instagram post of a similar crack, I used his superglue trick and haven’t had any issues since. My eHTEEN still plays just as great, I play a lot of wood and other fixed axles and the eHTEEN is still one of the best. I still haven’t seen any on the BST and even when @codinghorror offered his up in this thread it was picked up quickly within a few post. The eHTEENs are great players and thank you @edhaponik for all the support and trick tips, it has inspired my playing and progression a hundred fold. Thank you @yoyodoc for your Fixed Axle manifesto.

Have a good #fixedaxlefriday YYEF :call_me_hand:let’s see some pics :camera_flash:

10 Likes