Fixed Axle Friday Throws

Beautiful looking yoyo. I love walnut and paired with that curvy design it looks stellar.

2 Likes

@Markmont had a great skiing YoYo analogy in the Organic debate this week. The ski season is coming to an end but Purgatory is still getting storms and open on the weekends throughout the spring. I’m still amazed that there is a Ski Purgatory Tom Kuhn No Jive 3 and 1 series even. This one is a little heavier and larger in diameter than its San Francisco and BC predecessors, but a 3 and 1 nonetheless. I have been enjoying responsive play on Fridays this entire ski season and don’t plan on stopping anytime soon.

SF OG / Purgatory / BC Painted

Have a good #fixedaxlefriday YYEF :call_me_hand:let’s see some pics :camera_flash:

11 Likes

Not fixed, but quite responsive with the 1/2 spec, I am just totally in love with this Spinworthy:

10 Likes

Thanks, @Myk_Myk I’m glad you like it.

I actually made a bearing Harbinger recently out of Sheoak. It’s my first dedicated bearing responsive.

10 Likes

That is something a hero would say.

2 Likes

The only fixies I own are cheap Duncan plastics (the iconic ones). I can’t quite get used to the way string tension changes the ability to make the yoyo sleep. I’m sure someone sees this as a virtue, but it’s just annoying to me. Clearly I just don’t “get” fixies (their appeal).

2 Likes

You need to master your Sidewinders and UFOs, fun and manages string tension along with Loops and Hops.

2 Likes

In my opinion, I love fixed axle because it is very basic but at the same time very challenging to make look smooth. It’s like trying to get the most out of the least if that makes sense. But I definitely get where you are coming from, I love all my Duncan plastic fixies!

4 Likes

In previous fixed axle Friday weeks I have showcased Axle Sleeves and Premium Fixies from yesteryear. Today’s throw takes it to the next level of decadence and modern luxury. The @jeffreypang911 Titanium Luftverk XP 55 Alpina Slimline with the AMS2488 Type II coating. This throw looks and feels like it is straight out of Star Wars and the future with it’s hard lines and sleek styling. Being designed as a pocket slimline, its slimmer than a Duncan Imperial and most loopers. However, it packs some punch weighting in at 64 grams and doesn’t need to be thrown very hard for contemporary fixed axle play when set up with the included red anodized bearing blank. I have also been enjoying it with bearings as well and is extremely fun unresponsive with a flat ceramic as a Jedi trainer. This luxurious EDC has heirloom qualities and could potentially last for eons and be passed down through the generations, but it may just become the ultimate walk the dog sparker to entertain my boys, only time will tell. I’ve been playing this with @MattB YYSL Type X strings in black to keep things on the dark side.

20190418_103425

20190418_103501

Have a good #fixedaxlefriday YYEF :call_me_hand:let’s see some pics :camera_flash:

15 Likes

Love the look of this! Similar looking profile to a deep state.

Would you recommend the bearing blanks for fixed axle play? Is the blank static when the yoyo is spinning?

2 Likes

The XP 55 is even slimmer than the Deep State. Yes the Luftverk bearing blank is static and is fun for fixed axle play, and an off the shelf solution for other metal and plastic yoyos. However it isn’t as snappy as wooden axles, it doesn’t have the high rpms, but this is also due to the larger diameter.

4 Likes

Do you happen to have a Deep State as well? I was curious how those bearing blacks would do in one. I wasn’t sure if the black was too slim for it.

4 Likes

I think it is too thin. Anyway, you’d probably get almost no spin with the blank if you did get it to fit in a Deep State!

Oak Harbinger for me today.

3 Likes

I just don’t understand a titanium slimline responsive. I’m not sure why anyone would bother paying that kind of price for one, or why titanium is at all necessary for it.

This guy could sell anything.

4 Likes

I see the reasons behind your question. It is a luxury item for what it is. But you could also argue, why bother making something out of wood that won’t last as long or ever be as smooth.

(Don’t get me wrong, I love wooden yoyos and have made a few myself)

7 Likes

I wish I could try the Alpina with the blank, because I bought a couple of the blanks, and did not like them at all in anything I tried.

2 Likes

No Dice, I tried, both the Luftverk Bearing Blank and the 2016 Duncan Wheels Spacer and neither of them work in the Deep State as it needs a Full Spec C sized bearing for the side effects to tighten properly. Maybe @Glenacius_K could spin up some Full Size C bearing blanks out of maple with a recessed groove? That would probably work in a Deep State.

11 Likes

The Alpina looks like a Deep State on a diet.

2 Likes

That is a fine looking pair.

2 Likes

At 23mm it might be one of slimmest yoyos of all time second only to a Mighty Flea

3 Likes