Fixed Axle Friday Throws

Time to learn some fixed 5a.

21 Likes

Happy Friday!

Today I’m throwing the Butterfly. Been working on the Ed Haponik style roll out at the end. I can do it great off a breakaway, but I’m working to get it consistent off of anything else.

A few unsolicited thoughts about the Butterfly (because I don’t have anyone I can talk to IRL about yo-yos):

I had called the last Butterfly that I bought inconsistent and hard to use. In software, we sometimes jokingly label a bug or issue as PEBKAC, Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair. My new Butterfly has taught me that my last Butterfly’s problems existed at the other end of the string (PEATOEOTS?). I didn’t know anything about string tension, and when my kids inevitably broke that Butterfly, I chose to replace the axle with a snappier wooden one to make it more consistent.

Well, now I’m older and wiser, and this Butterfly is a phenomenal player for it’s $6 price completely stock.

The only thing I would change is they are a bit fragile. I would love to see one made of a machined plastic. I would even be willing to spend more than $6 on one.

16 Likes

I think those are called flyaway dismounts, and that ed is just addicted to them lol

2 Likes

Thank you! I could not remember what it was called for the life of me.

1 Like

Happy Friday!

23 Likes
9 Likes

Dude! I too have been working on my flyaway dismounts for a while on my fixies - it’s hard. Yours looks great!!!

1 Like

I’m a fan of one piece designs, this vintage stained Elfverson & Co Kalmar Trissan is from the pre-internet days, as it’s contact details are an international Swedish telephone number. Laced with some TK Type-8 Cotton.

20 Likes

Using the fixed configuration of this MiJo 6061

15 Likes

Really enjoying these color-coordinated wood counterweights with my @Glenacius_K throws. The maple KNack feels especially good for fixed 5a.

19 Likes

Throwing a new-to-me Jon Gates Mantra.

I love how the fingerspin dimples in spectraply make their own topographical map!

18 Likes

Oh, is that what this one is called? I have one, but I’ve not seen it named before.

4 Likes

This is what it was listed as by @yoyoretro .

1 Like

Yep! That’s what Jon was calling this model back in 2018. I’m not sure if the name evolved over time.

1 Like

Today’s carry

15 Likes

I love how those begleri look, did you turn all of those yourself?

4 Likes

Thank you! everything is handmade but the brass beads. I purchased those from an online lamp store and slightly modded them to fit the cord.

3 Likes

Urchin👍🏻

Good Friday👋🏻

18 Likes

Feel lucky to have gotten this in the mail today. I’m at work with low drop ceilings so I can’t really go nutz (i.e. shoot the moon), but it feels perfect. I was hoping for the full rainbow version, but love an Unknown also.

25 Likes

Last Friday in May, playing my fixie 5A standard a Purple Duncan ProFly, YYF Bulk Cotton and a Yellow Duncan Bouncy Ball.

I even let the kids give a go during their end of the school year party :partying_face:

18 Likes