Fixed Axle Friday Throws

23 Likes

I have one of these and it’s such a nice mix of a solid weight with still a floaty feel

1 Like

Happy Friday.

Throwing the FTYxFallen44 Fixie and the Bitterfly this morning.

I was working on flyaway dismounts when the Bitterfly decided to fly away :flushed:. Luckily it landed on carpet.

20 Likes

@DocPop thanks for sharing that today is National Donut Day. I’m always looking for an excuse to play with my A-RT Jensen Donut :doughnut:, it stalls deliciously.

21 Likes

Fiery Hot Fixie Kweej Friday ™️

Ft. the @RC_yo-yo Bitterfly

17 Likes

Still survivin’

23 Likes

Holy smokes there goes that man!

1 Like

Summer is here, time for some Butterflies. Translucent green made in the USA from the early nineties this Friday in June.

20 Likes

Not merely fixed axle but hewn from just the one piece; ProYo’s Roadster. I am told it is well thought of but not really my style. Had a giggle.

18 Likes

Throwing this laminated Clean Tangerine fixie today. These are some of the best wooden yoyos you can buy right now. Smooth, long spinning (for a fixed axle) and comfy to hold.

18 Likes

21 Likes

El MiJo in fixie mode while waiting…

19 Likes

@RC_yo-yo Purple Zebra (I think, lol). On the lighter side of my preference, but smooth and beautiful. A pleasure to throw.

20 Likes

Is this relic still regarded as one of the mainstream classics ?

20 Likes

New to me survivalist and old faithful butterfly. I’ve played with the survivalist for all of 5 minutes and I’m positively smitten :heart_eyes:

22 Likes

22 Likes

Another Triangle Butterfly from the late eighties/ early nineties made in the USA in translucent blue with silver foil. Working on an outside Magic Drop hop to stall that I saw @drewtetz do last week.

16 Likes

I feel the slippery slope of a rabbit hole of arcane facts and figures opening up before me but…

what are the differences between the various flavours/editions/releases of Duncan Butterfly ? And how to spot them ?

Mine differs - slightly - in labelling from the one above but is it important ?

18 Likes

This is my first stab at listing a chronological order off the top of my head, and will probably need to become its own thread. Weights and plastic hardness and /or softness are also a variable between all the editions. Detailed pictures and descriptions can be found throughout this thread for most of these models. Others with more knowledge please feel free to add.

1958-1966 1st Wooden 1 piece Butterflys typically with sparkle paint and solid colors.

1962- Special Edition 1 piece wooden Butterfly with comic booklet and stickers to customize and personalize

1962- Mardi Gras Butterfly was the 1st Plastic and part of the Disney World of Color series with inlayed gliter starts.

1967- Flambeau buys the Duncan Brand

1968- 1st Flambeau Plastic Butterfly with Small Engraved Butterfly in the center

1970- Large engraved Butterfly on face

1972- First Screened Butterfly on face also referred to as the “Psychedelic Butterfly”

1976- Back to Engraved face with the “Lace Wing Butterfly”

1980- Lace Wing Butterfly with Reslon-coated axle for increased spin times

1982- the introduction of the “Thick Wing” Butterfly still in solid colors.

1983- The European molds are created and “Rainbow Butterflys” are available internationally

1984- The 1st Translucents with “Thick Wing” Butterflys

1986- The Mariposas, these have a slimmer “Thick Wing” with Butterfly on top and Duncan on the bottom with a Made in Mexico stamp, the cards were still printed in the USA.

1989- The “Triangle Butterfly” appears and continues Translucents

1994- The 1st of the Circular Font “The Original Made in the USA”

1998- Mexico production starts along with USA production. Made in the USA is dropped and replaced with " The Original "

2003- Production starts in China along side with Mexico and USA production is phased out.

2004- 75 year Duncan Anniversary, the 1st of the1958 wooden 3 piece reproductions are released in retro packaging.

2008- 2010 Holiday “Sparkle Flys” sold at Toy’s R Us, gliter translucent versions. These were made in Mexico.

2012-2017 the “Contemporary Flys” made in China, these have a smaller circular print with the AGJRK stamps at the bottom as seen on all of today’s Duncan models. These are what are currently at my local Wal-Mart. These tend to be a harder plastic, compared to the rest of the series.

2012- the first ball bearing version Butterfly XT in translucent colors

2016 - Another run of reproductions wooden Butterfly, a three piece version on the 1958 but smaller and rounder.

2019- Second version of Butterfly XT released in solid colors with another gram of weight.

2019- The AL Butterfly is released at Worlds

2021- New mold for the Contemporary Butterfly, these have a 6 letter code compared to the previous 5. Still hunting for one of these. Some special editions from a Japanese store have new version of a Triangle Butterfly graphic in translucent yellow and black.

2022- New throwback editions expected later this year.

2022 / October - New mold Butterflies, a new Psychedelics , a Pink Target and Purple Amazon editions.

2022/ December Pre-release for 2023 of the new AL Butterfly features a small bearing, thin pads, and new Delrin caps

Spring 2023 - New Pastel solids to be released around Easter.

What do you think @bjardin @Danomano ?

26 Likes

Whilst I thank you for this I can also see that my caution was well founded. :flushed:

1 Like