Fixed Axle Friday Throws

You are probably more knowledgeable about the Duncan archive/history compared to mine. But it looks correct to me. :blush:

For the 80’s - the thick wings are the mariposa right?

7 Likes

Mariposas were “Thick Wings” but still made it the USA just with Spanish packaging as far as I’ve seen

Edit; the Mariposa were released in 1986 with Butterfly on top with a made in Mexico stamp, pic from recent eBay auction

13 Likes

This is a day late, to kick off my “Dad’s Weekend”, I got @Glenacius_K’s newest Survivalist version with the 6-shooter response and nicely rounded edges. I put in a several hours with it last night and a bit more today. It’s REALLY nice. Excellent work on this Glen, it’s super smooth, consistent and yet more versatile than the stepped response version (my favourite up until now). I think this might be my new favourite, but I still want to put some more time into it before I formulate a full opinion. I’m really glad to have the more rounded edges on this one. It feels fantastic in the hand and on the catch.

L to R: The original 4-hole response Rainbow Survivalist, The prototype stepped-response Survivalist, and the 6-shooter response Survivalist.

26 Likes

@Exmime Thank you for the excellent, detailed time-line and breakdown :+1:

2 Likes

That’s padauk and purple heart.

3 Likes

Did you ever name it?

1 Like

I don’t think I did. I just labeled them as multi striped when I listed them.

2 Likes

Pretty in pink.

12 Likes

I found one on Etsy. A little expensive but it looks nice. :wink:

Survivalist today. This thing is an absolute beast.

It actually feels and plays a lot like my Butterfly AL.

17 Likes

how do you play your Butterfly UN? TBH I bought the Unknown version cuz the artwork is incredible, but I had owned a Butterfly AL in the past and didnt like it. I’m having the same experience now. Its just too slippy with the full size bearing, and doesn’t play well unresponsive. Are you using the slim bearing?

4 Likes

Happy Fixie Day! I’ve been throwing the six-shooter Survivalist this past week.
I love it. It exceeded my expectations and is everything I wanted it to be. :heart::yo-yo:

Also fun fact, it weighs exactly 50.00 grams!

Thanks again @Glenacius_K!

17 Likes

I play it fully responsive with the half spec. I don’t recall whether or not I lubed it. It’s pretty snappy and consistent, but it is on the heavy end of my metal responsives. The compact shape (low moment of inertia?) makes it flip reasonably well too.

I don’t imagine I’d enjoy throwing it unresponsive.

2 Likes

I have an older Manta Ray V1 which has been a favorite for years, so when I saw that there was an updated version to Dazzling Dave Schulte Manta Ray, I had to pick up a fresh one. This one is in Clear and doesn’t have starburst and carries a little more weight at 58 grams. It can handle the heat from hard throws and rewards you with rather long spin times for a wooden fixed axle. With steal weight rings inside the caps it also has that similar stability feeling of today’s unresponsive modern Bi-Metals, but it has that classic Butterfly shape that can Shoot the Moon and do Dave’s World Record Trapeze Regen Repeaters .

20 Likes

I just ended picking one of these up to try it out. Got it in blue. :slight_smile: I love the vintage logo.

2 Likes

Got this today. On a Friday no less.

19 Likes

The half-spec turns the Butterfly AL into a whole new animal. I actually agree with you that it plays kinda like the survivalist. The regens especially feel super similar, its kinda surprising.

6 Likes

Happy Friday! Playing a this-a-way, that-a-way with wooden beads counterweight and a confusion with unknown counterweight.

17 Likes

Dracula X and a Purpleheart Currier

17 Likes

I consider myself a tolerant man but I have no tolerance for jive. For me it will always be… No Jive.

24 Likes