Why do people care about nail vibe?

Lol you don’t have to accept it but I’m giving an actual answer, one which I truly believe to be applicable for most people. I don’t care either way, I play my dinged yo-yos and have brand new duplicates of my favorite ones.

This thread is giving yo-yo elitist snob vibes, made to beat a dead horse in an already niche hobby. Don’t know why you feel the need to marginalize others within the community.

And nary are gold toilets attainable for most people, that’s a straw man argument and you know it

1 Like

Cheap yo-yos can be a smooth as anything. I don’t think that vibe is really a proxy for quality.

1 Like

That’s why I said “perceived” quality, some people see it that way because their base instinct tells them no vibey is gud jojo

1 Like

I do appreciate a dead smooth yoyo, not gonna lie.

But, end of the day, finger nail vibe is absolutely fine by me. :+1:

(Never played a yoyo with heavy vibe but I image that would be a deal breaker)

2 Likes

Hey y’all can send me your viby yo-yos it’s cool I won’t mind.

2 Likes

You know….I shouldn’t write off heavy vibe yo-yos…(especially never trying one)

Heck, everyone can send me their vibey yo-yos too. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I really don’t know. Can someone help?

4 Likes

Vibration so minor it can only be perceived by holding something hard (like a fingernail) within a fraction of a millimeter to the rim.

4 Likes

The nail vibe war is so old and very worthless at this point, I participate thousand times in this kind of discussion with no results, usually people that complain about nail vibe are hardcore collectionist or people that pass 99% of time analysing the yoyo and 1% doing a skin the gerbil.
For the solely matter of playing and doing tricks dead smooth is useless and doesn’t bring any real advantage to the game (obviously we speak about nail vibe not wobbling).
Even at high price point doesn’t really matter for me if a yoyo has a bit of nail vibe because anyway will be dinged playing it in probably days, I have the Klondike from couple of weeks and I had already to put the rims back in place at least 10 times so I am not bothered.
What I think it makes a yoyo a good yoyo or a quality yoyo is how it perform (also in organics) and how it feels while playing, a bit of nail vibe should not affect any judgment

8 Likes

In play I don’t care.

If it doesn’t have nail vibe when I get it it’ll probably hit the floor at some point and have a little vibe after that.

However I’m along the same lines as some other here.

If I pay +/- $100 for a yoyo…it better be good. And part of good is proving that the balance is good at the start by being virtually close to vibe free.

It’ll never stop me buying a secondhand throw that has some vibe…but if I’m paying top dollar to companies direct…they better make sure I get top dollar performance. And part of that performance is a balanced yoyo, and a vibe free yoyo is a balanced yoyo.

After the initial purchase I won’t mind some vibe at all.

7 Likes

I’m not positive if this is a thing but I have read and have experienced first hand companies that seem to use thick ano on the bearings seats to reduce vibe. I seen Tyler from recess mention it before on reddit to someone talking about not being able to get their bearing off of a snack. It also happened to me with my good life valley. It makes getting the bearing off super hard and eventually once that ano wears off it is no longer vibe free. After dealing with that recently it kinda makes me want to avoid yoyos like that. I have other yoyos that don’t seem to use that method and they seem to work a lot better in the long run

2 Likes

I’m not sure if it’s thick ano or just extra tight tolerances, but either way, it’s a thing and it’s a pain!

3 Likes

nail vibe doesn’t effect performance though. it will not change the spin time of the yoyo or how well it does tricks.

This is true to a degree. Realistically I think a manufacturer should put in adequate effort to prevent issues like the Hybrid Fulvia and Outlier 3 issues. A little vibe is fine, but vibe as bad as some of these have had can genuinely impact performance and thus… remove the purpose entirely lol.

In 2023 we know how to design and machine yoyos, these sorts of issues should be (and thankfully are) extremely few and far between.

Related to the topic, I don’t see an issue with people seeing smoothness/lack of vibe as a premium and/or “quality” thing. Matching halves, tuning adequately, etc. are all part of QC from a manufacturer. It takes effort to get a yoyo smooth if it wasn’t already.

Have you tested this? In any reliable way? Because I suspect there is in fact an effect on performance. It’s just not a very big effect that will be difficult to measure.

Take two identical yoyos, one with nail vibe and the other smooth.

Devise a way to throw them both with the exact same amount of force or RPM’s to start with.

Measure spin time some how.

See if there’s a difference.

I suspect the difference will be very small indeed. But I’m also fairly certain there actually WILL be a difference.

1 Like

Alex have to say that probably the performance difference will be so small to be negligible and also something that a “hardcore” player will not care at all, I see people playing and hitting tricks with basically wobbly yoyos that they keep using because it is their fav and can’t be bothered to buy a new one.
I think it’s all as usual in the technique of the player and no one of us really need more than a minute of spin times (considering the combos I see around on insta or contests) and even less if you are a “around the body” player with tons of eli hops and stuff.
I think the legend of the spin time is a refuse of the old days where 20 seconds spin to complete a kamikaze combo seems like you had basically a yoyo with an engine inside, nowadays I do not see it being important, I think everything moved more around the shapes and material and stability (both normal and zontal playing) seems a bigger part.
I go every 2 weeks to a meeting in London where we are all players and no collectors and even trying new yoyos I never seen any of us trying a nail vibe or checking the spin time.
I think nowadays the nail vibe is again a refuse of old days or something more related to collectors/sense of quality but about performance it doesn’t really matter, just to say also the Klondike or the Duncan GTR-JS or the Seiji or other bimetal yoyos I tried come with a very small vibration and it is ok

3 Likes

I’m not saying the difference will be very noticable at all. And I’ve already stated that I don’t mind using them once they develope some vibe.

What I AM saying is there IS a difference. It’ll just be very small…I’ve stated this a couple of times. But a very small difference still IS a difference even if you don’t notice.

What I’m saying is that no vibe shows commitment from the manufacturer to produce the best they can. And when I’m spending $100 or more I appreciate that.

1 Like

One thing this could mean is that the designs that are produced remain within parameters that have very little risk of even negligible vibe, while potentially higher performing designs are left on the shelf due to fear that they will be rejected by a market that would rather have a perfectly smooth yo-yo than a better performing yo-yo.

4 Likes

There’s got to be some difference as you’re losing energy to vibration.

1 Like

Exactly…it’s fairly simple physics.

More vibe == more energy than can’t be used in spin.

Little vibe== little energy that can’t be used in spin.

No vibe == no energy loss to vibe therefore more energy in spin.

5 Likes