Why do people care about nail vibe?

When I am doing tricks with a yoyo, I don’t tend to touch the yoyo with my hand. I don’t know anyone who does. I would never notice a yoyo has nail vibe if I didn’t specifically check for it either. Why this is something people care about? If you can’t feel it on the string and you can’t feel it when doing tricks, and it only is noticeable when you are specifically checking for it…? Someone illuminate me. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

Standing by for the answer as well, it’s always perplexed me, if you can’t feel it on the string…… I think vibe is hyped up for no reason and most people complaining about vibe probably display their throws on a shelf :man_shrugging:t2:

13 Likes

I personally like a little vibe if it doesn’t effect play. It feels like I’m playing with a mechanical machine. Maybe the people that care about nail vibe are the collectors that need that perfect yo-yo.

5 Likes

The collectors won’t even be throwing it tho why does vibe matter :sob: :sob: :sob:

11 Likes

no idea, even if a yoyo is perfectly “dead smooth” my horrible throws give every yoyo vibe

14 Likes

Nail vibe is fine and almost meaningless to me at this point because like OP mentioned if it’s not felt on the string why does it matter? I’ve actually come to appreciate a little vibe in the sense that if that particular yoyo does have some I feel less obligated to try and keep it pristine and shelf-worthy, I can use it for 5a, I can take it everywhere without being worried etc.

2 Likes

I suppose you could argue that you’re losing some energy that would otherwise have gone into rotation. I don’t know if the loss amounts to anything meaningful. I kind of doubt it.

1 Like

To some collectors it’s not about throwing. It’s about having that perfect yo-yo with no flaws. Perfectionism gets the better of us sometimes.

6 Likes

I like my yo-yos to be glass smooth as a way to double check that my previous bind was perfect. The main reason my yo-yos will vibe is bc I had a bad bind or maybe a bad throw. Just nice to know that I’ve got everything in proper form and the Yoyo is looking like it’s totally still.

It also creates a cooler optical effect in person but also if I wanna film a trick or something like it looks like it’s not moving but a little vibe can mess with that effect. Usually doing tricks will smooth out a vibey throw like how ppl always be pinwheeling and it would be annoying if that didn’t work like it always stayed a bit vibey. Idk though like all my yo-yos are super smooth still.

8 Likes

Different strokes for different folks. Thats why.

Personally relative to play, idc about nail vibe. If it plays good what do I care.

However, if I’m paying triple digits in price for a yoyo, I expect it to have good QC or be tuned to be smooth out of the box. I’m paying a premium price, I expect a premium experience. Eventually yes, it’s more than likely it won’t keep its pristine glass/dead smooth spin, whether I ding it or it loses its smoothness when I take it apart, it’s likely to lose the smoothness eventually. That doesn’t mean I don’t appreciate the extra effort put into a premium/high QC experience.

It’s just something to appreciate lol, some people appreciate it more or less.

16 Likes

I have a pretty realistic view on this subject.

Some people can deal with vibe and some can’t.:joy:

12 Likes

10 Likes

When there is nail vibe in the yoyo I feel like something is wrong and that it effects performance. May not be a big difference for most damage to your yoyo but I have dinged up a yoyo to the point where the yoyo cannot perform (I think I also warped the metal near the axle which makes it vibe like crazy).

As long as it doesn’t effect performance I don’t care for the most part. However I still keep my yoyo’s in mint condition because it never plays the same once its dinged. There is a big difference between a brand new yoyo with top tier manufacturing like the yoyofriends shortcut and a vibey yoyo which hit concrete.

For the most part I don’t mind people taking about vibe,. The problem is that we begin have less innovative yoyo design with higher price tags because every yoyo has to avoid Vibrations. Innovative Yoyo’s like the hybrid fulvia and the outlier 3 are more likely to fail or cost more because it is difficult to control the vibrations.

2 Likes

I ding yo-yos cause I play yoyo. vibe happens I’m content with that

10 Likes

I’m not sure if this is true really like all dings are not the same. As long as the guts don’t get messed up from a hard hit, the Yoyo should still spin vibe free. I have like hella external damage on my barracuda from 5a over concrete and it’s still smooth like no nail vibe at all even(just checked and was kinda surprised tbh). My nucleon also has a bunch of flat spots from hitting door frames and hardwood/tile floors and it’s also perfectly smooth like no nail vibe even. Those are my two most damaged yo-yos bc I try not to be reckless and they’re good still. I’m certain it’s possible to add vibe from a hard hit but I just don’t think it’s like a guaranteed outcome from a single hit like hasn’t been so far in my experience at least.

1 Like

If a yo-yo is glass smooth out of the box, it can only get worse.

If it has a little bit of vibe from the start, there is always a chance that the next ding or bearing swap will make it perfect.

10 Likes

I agree. Though that wasn’t the same story for my canon or for my shutter. Some yoyo’s seem to take it better .I had the idea of trying 4a with my shutter and it bounced several times on hard tile floor. I had an arcade hit the same floor (I wasn’t doing 4a this time) and It isn’t even noticable.

1 Like

For me all it shows is good craftsmanship.

After you take it apart I nearly always get some vibe, I only have one throw that is REALLY bad and I’ve hit it against the tile floor so many times.

Others they may vibe a lot when I check but never really affects play.

I think for me it’s just a quality thing, never really cared too much

9 Likes

Vibe… I enjoy a good vibe session. It has become very irrelevant issue for me.
I have a RSO Steel mini Bowl I had thrown it straight into a hard wood floor with a longer string… ooo that rings in my ears to this day. The steel does not like to be abused. Steel deforms more than aluminum. I try and throw the Bowl regularly.

1. Playing with this throw that has palpable vibe gets me over playing with vibe. My fault have to deal with it. Rarely do I get throws with damage and vibe even if they have been dinged a few times, minimal vibe for the most part.

2. When I play completely smooth high end throws if it is both smooth and silent it can be difficult to know when the spin has decreased and the throw is about to die. Especially when I am doing a short element many times throwing many times in a row off 1 throw. Beef hook, Dum Shot, tension slack.

I do not mind good vibes with my throws.

I also agree my throw discipline is most times the culprit in magically out of nowhere vibe.

5 Likes

Honestly my “smoothest” yoyo I like the least. I feel like your statements ring true for me

1 Like