Why do people care about nail vibe?

You make an extremely good point.

I assume it’s a minor amount most of the time. But it would be interesting to see experiments done on the same yo-yo with differentiating amounts of vibe.

TO THE LAB!

The main problem with testing…is getting consistent throws.

It’s virtually impossible to throw with the same amount of speed or force twice in a row…let alone tens/hundreds of times.

4 Likes

if any of you have collected trading cards its similar to that. You would like to have a PSA 10. you can’t have that with some vibe.

the grading scale doesn’t matter when your using them to play. Same for vibe. But its always nice to start with a 10/10.

4 Likes

I didn’t say that, we’re arguing the same thing.

Re-reading, I see what you are saying.

I think my point applies to the original topic (aversion to nail vibe). But I see that you were referring to genuinely performance damaging defects.

Its all about the vibes

1 Like

Yea it happens lol.

1 Like

What is does is make it much harder to produce yoyos and results with many being B graded. It harms the industry, it doesn’t drive it forward.

5 Likes

at the risk of sounding like i’m being contrary for the sake of it, I’ve never received a high end bimetal from duncan or yoyofactory that didnt have some level of nail vibe, and they definitely push the industry.

I think boutique yoyo brands that want to be perceived as premium also have a vested interest in minimal vibe just as much as their customer base. otherwise why not just loosen up the QC standards and rubber stamp the majority of the product as A-grade? it’s a bit disingenuous for yoyo brands to say vibe is hyped up for no reason but also aim to cater to that crowd.

again, not being argumentative, just connecting the dots

2 Likes

Because this “crowd” you are speaking of is the consumer, and if consumers view the YoYo brand as a “poor QC” or “they always have vibe” will turn people off no matter what you do.

So brands including myself strive for perfect 10/10 quality every single time. while I myself personally find vibe a confusing argument; the “vibe levels” vary so much from person to person, The reality is I still believe minimal nail vibe on yo-yos that are B graded probably still perform as well as their A grade counterparts

Edit - my wife is an English teacher and would kill me for how poorly I structure sentences :joy:

8 Likes

I have a B grade bimetal that I bought for 30+% below the A grade price. It has the faintest nail vibe on one ring.

Good for me, I guess. But that doesn’t seem sustainable. So bad for me if I want to keep buying nice yo-yos in the future.

4 Likes

Same very few of my b grades have been bad and the cost has always been worth it vs an a grade.

I’m surprised yoyo companies don’t do what storage companies have done and treat the lower grade as the standard consumer grade vs the higher grade pro/enterprise versions. do I need the highest performing yoyo. Nah not really. I’m not rocking long performance sets I can bind and chill and play slow and be content but sure folks not on the contest scene might seek out such pro series.

And for those not aware when your nand storage is manufactured they classify the lower grade wafers as consumer grade and the higher quality as prosumer and enterprise grade and other marketing garbage like that. Very surprised by the more transparent labeling of b grade in yoyo.

2 Likes

The crowd I’m referencing is not just a wide gambit of consumers, I meant the “crowd” as in the ones who want dead smooth yoyos, and you strive for 10/10 because logically you want to capture that market as well. So the first part of your response really just agrees with what I said.

But deviating into personal inquires as to why people prefer smooth yoyos… i still stand by my original reason: because they can! really i’m starting to think people care more about people caring about nail vibe more than people care about nail vibe. lol say that 10 times fast! :joy:

3 Likes

It’s probably more that it’s offered and feels like the expectation but that is set by the companies and the community it doesn’t have to be.

3 Likes

I feel like it’s easier to sell people on buying b grades at a discount than selling people on “prosumer grade” yoyos that are dead smooth with a “markup” but regularly selling nail vibey ones

2 Likes

There is high end Japanese brand that asserts that blemishes should not considered a defect on a $150+ yo-yo and that, on top of “small scratches, stains, uneven coloring, machining marks, etc.”, perfect smoothness should not be expected from a $90 yo-yo.

Presumably, they have decided that it is not worth appealing to the 10/10 market.

2 Likes

Manufacturing wise I imagine it’s less returns more volume less cost overall in the end but either way it’s a marketing thing. B grades and a grades just shows the open honesty the community and those the do business in it hold. I’m not claiming changing things to mimic the hand wavy marketing tactics of tech would be a good thing.

1 Like

Sounds a lot like Sturm Panzer :smiley: And each one I have is very smooth

2 Likes

Under-promise, over-deliver.

1 Like

The only issue would be that some b-grades are because of vibe and others are because of cosmetic issues. I’ve never bought a b-grade because I know that I’m a bit OCD.

When I first got into yoyo I was kind of surprised that high end companies would sell b-grades, reasoning that they would only want best quality in the marketplace, representing their brand.

1 Like