What other hobbies/activities do you guys do?

I’m also a former geology major and so I collect fossils and minerals too, but the main hobby that competes for the money I might otherwise spend on yoyos is collecting mid century modern decor, particularly anything that looked like it came out of George Jetson’s living room or has a psychedelic look to it, from lucite lamps to Danish modern, to lava lamps like to late 60s aristocrat model I have as my avatar picture.

And like most collecting hobbies, that has since branched and ballooned into other things. Every once in a while I’ll spring for a vintage toy that catches my eye, board games, antique mechanical pencils (because I’ve found that most things, including writing utensils, from those days were made better), vinyl records, and the occasional art deco piece, anything that embodied life from the 1960s and 70s and sometimes before. I started using it as a way to study history, where I’d buy an antique that interested me, but that I knew nothing about, and research it. I’ve used it as a way to learn how to rewire lamps and electronics, repair the mechanisms of record players, mechanical clocks, and occasionally a vacuum tube radio.

4 Likes

I have a lot of stuff, typically dexterity hobbies
Other than yoyoing i do :

Cubing - been doing it for at least a year now (sub 18 if anyone’s curious)

Fingerboards - used to make and sell them myself, pressing wood veneers together as if it where a full sized skateboard

Butterfly knives - started about 2 years ago, just recently got back into flipping as a hobby but ive always passively collected them

As for non dexterity hobbies

Ive been skateboarding for like 4 years
(Along with other board sports)

And finally i enjoy basically everything computers. From casual programming, to building computers. I even collect retro consoles. (nes snes etc) overall i think its my favorite pass time, doesn’t matter what, i just love computers

7 Likes

Well, I drink and sometimes that leads to throwing… possibly a yoyo if its nearby… Which could result in a fight… depending on who or what I throw it at. Out of curiosity, why praytell were you compelled to ask for my sake? Now, Im kinda wondering, is them possibly fightin’ words? :facepunch:

3 Likes

Does lurking and making noise on occasion count? I do that!
I think it best to keep everyone on tenterhooks regarding my other hobbies and interests. Of course if one was really interested and wanted to know, one could possibly do a forum search.

OOOH…oh…oh I’ll share this, I snow ski! Surprise! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::crazy_face:

6 Likes

giphy

7 Likes

I crochet occasionally, play a lot of tabletop RPGs, Magic: The Gathering (and other card games), and I even do some gardening. I also make my own yoyo strings - and I even made a yoyo!

17 Likes

I got into using typeracer a few years ago when I decided to teach myself how to type properly. I used to use a technique that relied mostly on my pointer and middle finger, but would incorporate others based on frequent letter patterns. It was a mess, but I was able to type like 60wpm so it was more than sufficient to get myself through college. But because of my technique, that was my limit. I also wanted to get more adept at typing without looking down, so I took a month and retrained myself how to type properly.

At first I was typing at like 10 wpm, but within a month I was at 40, and now on a good day im upwards of 80. It is so much easier to type now and im glad I took the time. Got a bit involved in keyboards for a while and now mostly use a buckling spring Unicomp, but when im feeling stylish I break out my Realforce 87U 55g with white blank keycaps. Was never able to fall in love with anything Cherry MX-based.

4 Likes

Friend me? My tag is SpyseaRice#1401

5 Likes

SO THIS IS WHY YALL SPAM MY NOTIFICATION FEED WITH LIKES

@JWaugh
@ThrowButcher

12 Likes

A lot of the stuff I do seems to be common enough on here.

I’m pretty OK at cubing, but parody errors beat me up (I try to learn myself and some of the parody errors are just so complicated). I can struggle my way through a Square One and some other deforming cubes. The megaminx is probably one of my favorites.

I’m pretty big on puzzle games, I’ve probably run through the portal franchise at least 10 times by now, but I do play a large variety of other games too.

One of the more peculiar things I do is collecting random writing utensils from the floor. If I can tell that they’re super fancy or great quality, I’ll leave them in the same general area for a few days in case the owner comes looking, but I’ve collected enough to fill a shoe box. At this point, most of them are probably pens, but I’ve managed to get a lot of mechanical pencil lead out of it.

6 Likes

Nah. I mean yeah. Makes you feel good though, right? And… Its a hobby of mine!

2 Likes

I ackchuyally got to 1.1k likes given in 1 week, wish I screenshotted it.

5 Likes

50 daily likes (that’s the default limit) × 7 = 300, however, there is a like bonus for trust level:

• TL2 → 1.5× bonus
  • TL3 → 2× bonus

100 × 7 = 700, so I am not clear how you’d get to 1.1k likes given?

Oh I see the limit is overridden 100 here, so the max possible is 200 × 7. Carry on, wayward son. There’ll be peace when you are done.

7 Likes

I think I preferred it in the past when people gave likes for posts that were actually meaningful instead of giving 1000+ a week :man_shrugging:

Receiving 15 likes today is the equivalent of 2 thank yous 5 years ago

6 Likes

15 Likes

Hmm… I feel like that math is a little fuzzy…

7 Likes

Off by 50 my man (take that computer wizard :kissing_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

By the way, they can’t see that Im not working, right?

5 Likes

All of my hobbies are very casual, nothing at a competitive level.

Airsoft: haven’t gone in a year sadly. The Tokyo Marui hicapa is begging to get used again in this nice weather.

Bicycle: I just ride around for fun, on and off. I used to ride everyday for maybe 10 miles, now just a couple here and there when I feel like it.

Pool: I play quite a bit with friends when we hang out. I’m not overly good but at my best a couple years ago I almost had a perfect game after the other person broke, but I missed the 8 ball on a tiny jump and ended up putting the cue ball in :joy:

8 Likes

Hunting Trophy Bass and Making, Painting and Designing Baits

14 Likes