What other hobbies/activities do you guys do?

Ooh, these kinda threads are fun.

Some hobbies I have outside of yoyoing are games and toy collecting with my wifey and general crafts (modding gear, DIY), drums and mechanical keyboards to some point.
Oh, and now 3D design, and machining later this year.
When I have the know-how and machines, maybe toy making.

I also do distance skating (longboard) when I can, but am not capable at the moment. Still, it’s great to have the gear ready, so I do maintenance even if I’m not going to skate to keep 'em up and running.

6 Likes

Sleep.

10 Likes

Tabletop gaming for me too. Savage World’s RPG, Eclipse, & Root are what I’m playing nowadays.

9 Likes

My biggest hobby is fixing things. Doesn’t matter what it is, I will try. What I love about it is that they’re already broken so I know I can’t make it worse. I have people at work that ask me for help. One guy had a cordless margarita maker that stopped working, he gave it to an airplane mechanic who could fix it but I got it fixed. I like to see the smiles on people’s faces.

If I every won the lottery, I would start a repair business that focuses primarily on fixing toys for near cost. Can’t beat that smile on a kids face when you hand them back a fixed toy.

7 Likes

I study/teach aikido & iaido, play bass & ukulele, skate, surf, run, practice yoga, and spend considerable time sitting cross-legged in front of a wall.

9 Likes

I think yoyoing is my main hobby/way of life but I also enjoy:

Playing video games, currently getting through the Witcher 3 and dipping in and out of some classic NES games on my modded mini, also Helldivers on my vita.

I used to teach karate but not for a few years now. Now, I currently practice Wing Chun.

Used to skateboard but gave my deck away a few years back. Recently got a long board and have yet to take it out.

I have been contemplating getting into a table top wargame called Frostgrave but time makes fools of us all!

Yoyoing is by far the easiest hobby to dedicate spare time too.

7 Likes

I just picked up a banjo. Used to play bluegrass.

7 Likes

Nice! I play a little bit of Banjo too! Also enjoy other hobbies like golf, rock/mineral hunting, astronomy, and fishing.

3 Likes

I’m not a collector but I have a fairly modest CD and vinyl collection because I adore music. Listening to music means a lot to me and it has done for a majority of my life, I can’t see that changing anytime soon!

I own a lot of films on DVD and am particularly fond of old horror stuff, from the silent era through to the Universal monster era, Hammer, independant US films from the 60s 70s and early 80s and all the old euro sleaze.

I am an avid reader although I have been going through a bit of a reading slump for a while, not to worry though because I know it is something I will return to,

I play Warhammer 40,000 casualy and enjoy painting miniatures even though my skills are modest at best. It is relaxing and crteative and enjoyable. I play other board games and recently played D&D for the first time, also started a group so can’t wait to get stuck into that!

Traipsing around stone circles and various other megalithic and neolithic sites is also rather enjoyable. It stimulates me intelectually and (to a lesser degree) spiritually. Not in any religious way because I am a heathen and proud.

9 Likes

Yeah me too!

I love miniature, board and trading card games. I’ve dabbled in a lot of card games but enjoy Magic: The Gathering the most.

Me and a few friends got really into Heroclix sometime back…haha one of my friends went WAY overboard and now literally has hundreds of figures (with tons of expensive ones) displayed all over his home!

Several years before my mom passed away (the same time Star Wars The Force Awakens came out)…she and I totally nerded out and got into a game called Star Wars X-Wing…which is taking little hotwheels sized ships and having dogfights. God that’s such an awesome game and we loved it! She collected a ton of the Galactic ships…and I the Rebels. She really got quite good at guessing my moves and out maneuvering me…she was very deadly with her Darth Vader and his Tie Fighter!
Though I still have all the ships, I’ve not played a game since she passed. I have friends that would jump into the game with me…but I don’t really want to play with them. It was me and my mom’s game, you know? /sigh…I miss my mom.

My most current game I got into, is Star Wars Imperial Assault…another awesome game. I like this one though because it can be played as a single player game (both with a phone app, along with some fan made methods). The miniature figures for the game come unpainted, and a big reason I wanted to get into the game is so I could paint them. Got myself some nice paints and brushes and everything. lol Ive only painted 5 figures so far…not sure why I put the game down honestly. It’s okay though…it’s there for when I get bored in the future!

4 Likes

I’m really into long, hot showers. I also like trying new brands of cereal.

12 Likes

tetris 4 jeff

2 Likes

I used to shoot pool many years ago. However as the season went on, so did the drinking. And then comes the fighting. Really burned me out. So recently, I turned to yoyo and got my interests going again. I’m really enjoying this.

3 Likes

So drinking and fighting while playing yo-yo isn’t typical? Asking for a friend. And that friend is @ThrowButcher

4 Likes

Music: I’ve been playing drums for about 15 years, and have played in various bands in Ohio and California, doing everything from reggae to death metal. It’s nothing I take too seriously anymore, but I’ll always enjoy playing and being on stage. I’ve recently but working on getting into recording, but holy crap if you want to talk about an expensive hobby.

Photography: I’ve always been interested in photography, but have started to take it more seriously over the last couple years. I mostly shoot concerts and nature, but I’ve been getting more into product photography ever since getting into yoyos.

Gaming: PC gaming used to be a massive part of my life. Mainly Starcraft, Warcraft,
and CS:S on CAL teams in my teenage years, then moving into WoW and newer standalone MOBAs into my early 20s. Now it’s just occasional gaming on my Nintendo Switch.

Wood/Leatherworking: my newest hobby/addiction/obsession and I’ve been really enjoying it. It also got me back into drawing and art with learning leather burning, something I quickly realized how much i missed.

Those are my main hobbies, though I do also enjoy binge watching shows on weekend with my wife and cat, reading scifi and fantasy, cooking up amazing breakfast, and, of course, throwing yoyos.

2 Likes

Now that I’m thinking about it I’m surprised I’ve never done either of those things while yoyoing :thinking:

I’ll have to experiment with that over the summer :nerd_face:

4 Likes

So sorry to hear about your mom. But wanted to chime in and say that I share your love for X-Wing. My wife and I play on occasion, though I’m the one who’s really in love with the game (feels like playing with toys as a kid). No competitive play though I hear the community is super nice. Got a bunch of the 2.0 stuff at GenCon last year but we haven’t had much of a chance to play with my wifey working weekends and Eldritch Horror being our current go-to.

4 Likes

My hobbies since I started yoyoing: rollerblading, mma, camping, hiking, four wheelers, dirt bikes, throwing knives, foraging, whittling/carving, crafting, backpacking, rock climbing, ice climbing, mtb and probably more that I can’t think of right now.

3 Likes

Let me also say sorry about your mom, @twitch77 . We also play X-Wing, and a couple of weeks we are playing a Fan Expansion called Defenders of the Empire (based on Heroes of the Aturi Cluster ). It adapts X-Wing into a co-op campaign style game.

Also +1 Eldrich Horror.

5 Likes

hobbies aside from yoyoing, let’s see:

clarinet and bass clarinet- been playing since the 4th grade and am now in a community band since my college doesn’t have a concert band.

photography- I like photos and I’ve gotten better since I’ve started

video production/ video editing- for a while I really wanted to major in it but then I realized the film industry is rough. I haven’t done video stuff in a while but I used to make a ton of yoyo tutorials but right now college is crazy and the room where I usually shoot videos is getting renovated, when I have time more will come but, I want to make a trick dump video soon.

begleri- I really don’t know if I consider this a hobby or not because this is something I usually resort to as a fidget or a thing to do with my hands more than anything else. However most people who I talk to are like “yeah it’s totally a hobby!” so I don’t know.

juggling- trying to work on 5 balls, but i can do 4 balls and 3 clubs, we will see how it goes.

cooking- I love cooking been doing it since I think the 5th grade and I cook absolutely everything now. My family says when I transfer college my roommates will love me.

Magic: The Gathering- one of my friends got me this into game on a college trip, it’s really fun although I’m not very good at it, yet.

rock collecting- turns out I’m a geology major so now I’m always picking up rocks, go figure.

hobbies that I used to do but now don’t have a means to do- competitive air rifle and .22, the only way to do this is if i find a college to do it with but those are hard to find. Not going to lie I miss it a ton.

13 Likes