The Brother mount technique

I’m learning to do the brother mount (i.e. from the Trapeze and his Brother), and while I see most tutorials seem to show that the string needs to wrap around the middle finger after it comes off the trapeze and on its way to the brother, I find it more comfortable to wrap it around the thumb when doing this. Anyone here do it with their thumb?

I also sometimes land the brother mount on the inner string by accident. Is landing on the inner string a valid trick of itself that proves useful with other tricks later on? And if yes, does it have a name? And the same question for landing it on both strings together.

1 Like

From what I know (which is limited) the string leaves the Trapeze and goes quite naturally around the middle finger. My mind can’t picture how you’re getting it around your thumb. However, being able to pull that off could put you in an interesting position to something different. Although I do t k ow what as my knowledge is limited. :grin:

1 Like

when hopping off the trapeze, i usually curl my pointer finger to hold the string.

if you do an element after the brother mount, then that element may benefit from your choice to use your thumb, pointer, or middle.

landing on the back string or both sort gets you back to a trapeze setup. since your learning tricks in this area, you may want to try this green triangle as an alterative to trapeze-to-brother you can also practice trapese-to-gt.

4 Likes

So you’re saying you don’t pinch between pointer and middle finger but curl the pointer into a pinch instead? I may try this to change it up a bit. I’ve been wanting something new to move to and the Green Triangle you mentioned sounds good. However the link didn’t work.

Hey man, awesome that you’re learning!! Taking the right stepping stones and being persistent with practice will get you far throwing. And attention to detail is always going to matter (which finger use and whatnot) so props to you for caring. In this given situation it really just depends on what you plan on doing after the brother mount. Using your thumb is totally legit if it sets you up better for whatever your next move might be. This would be the case with most tricks, and you may even get used to the idea of swapping fingers sometimes in tricks in order to continue flow. I dunno if that makes sense. Second question I believe when you hit the back string (if I’m picturing it right) would probably be referred to as a “sub mount”. A lot of these positioning you will find in the middle of all sorts of different tricks.

Hope any of that made sense or helped lol.
Throw forever :infinity:

4 Likes

So what you’re saying is that they are exactly the same…only completely different. Is that right?? :rofl:.
Oh. And then you deleted your post. :scream:

1 Like

I was just trying to figure out a way to point out that exact irony

2 Likes

Why is my brain like this . My bad just trying to help. Haha

2 Likes

I use that one a lot. Often to the bewildered stares of those for which it was intended. :flushed:

1 Like

I’m starting to get frustrated with this trick. It’s supposed to be an easy trick, but most of the time I keep landing the brother mount either on both strings simultaneously or on the inner string, and only occasionally manage to land it on the outer string as it should be.

1 Like

Don’t give up, you’ll get there. This is a foundational movement and it might take a bit to get it solid. And you’ll still miss it now and then. If you get frustrated, try another trick for a bit then come back to it. If you work passed the frustration you’ll get it and you’ll feel so good about it.

3 Likes

Thanks for the encouragement. There are days when I feel discouraged, but then there are days when I feel more motivated, especially after I get a new trick down consistently. It’s a slow process, at least for me, but rewarding once I make the progress. Have you managed to get good control over your brother mount where you can get either into a standard brother mount or brother sub-mount (inner string) on demand and with good consistency?

1 Like

I am fairly consistent and can switch up Brother and sub-Mount. This was the first new trick I started learning at the beginning of the year so I’ve put some time in on it. It took me a while to get consistent but I still miss. I still miss Trapeze fairly regularly too. But I am throwing this every day.

It sounds like you must be leaving all of your throw hand fingers extended. Try pulling your fingers in, grab the string with your middle-pinky fingers.

7 Likes

We were talking about this basically in another thread ha
Continuing the discussion from Help With Basic Mounts + Basic Unresponsive Tricks!:

2 Likes

Here is some slow mo brothers using the thumb middle and curling the index. The main thing is you want to be pulling the Yoyo onto the string instead of trying to just swing it and land the Yoyo onto the string. Get the yoyo close to your non throw hand index and there will be more space and you will be less likely to miss. Also grip the string with throw hand middle ring and pinky, like in the image above. Let us know if you have any more questions or can’t figure it out or just to vent. We all struggled to figure this out at first. The oldest Yoyo content I have is a screen shot of brother mount bc I couldn’t figure it out.

8 Likes

Im not the OP, but this actually helped a lot! One question, are there any alternatives ways to get into a brother mount? Just curious.

2 Likes

I assume you’re looking for help with unresponsive for this but if you’re looking for help with fixed axle or responsive that I think I could help I have a few videos in my collection on that.
:grinning:

2 Likes

Yeah so if you’re going from more complicated to less complicated there are literally infinite ways to get to brother. Here are three other ways to get there tho. Instant mount off the throw, undercut from trapeze, and lacerate.

8 Likes

Thanks everyone for the tips, picture, and videos. I practiced it a bit more last night and was landing it a bit more consistently. I’ll keep practicing and hopefully I’ll get it down.

@Overtinkering – Yes, I pretty much exclusively prefer unresponsive yoyos and practice on them. The only tricks I ever really do on my responsive yoyos are forward pass and catch, and breakaway and catch :slight_smile:

@GTDropKnot – Thanks for the additional video as well, maybe I’ll try to start practicing those methods as well.

2 Likes