String Grind, new trick?

This isn’t a particularly difficult trick, and quite frankly, I discovered it by accident as I was practicing the brother mount. I would sometimes land into this “string grind” by accident and I liked the way it looked and the feel of the trick, so I kept on working on it and have gotten it fairly consistent. I’ve tried researching it but haven’t found anything about anyone else doing it. Perhaps because it’s too easy of a trick, but I find it quite fun to do, and it’s definitely not the easiest of tricks to do (at least consistently). Has anyone done it before? Is there a name for it? Or am I the first? The idea of the trick is that after the trapeze, where it would normally go around and into a brother mount, it instead pops into a “string grind” (think of grinding a handrail down a set of stairs with a skateboard), where the yoyo “grinds” the string downward, and after it “pops off the rail”, I then bind the yoyo, completing the trick. It looks and feels better in real life than it came out in this video, but I just made this video quickly to show the idea.

Also, I’m sorry for the dog hair on my shirt. I was just petting my dog before I took the video and didn’t realize that her fur was still on my shirt (she sheds quite a lot).

Here’s the clip:

P.S. I’m still a beginner, so for me getting this trick consistent is a nice accomplishment :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I have also played with this since starting early this year. I also wondered the same thing. On brother you land in the outside string. With this you land on the inside string or both then drop the loop that just formed around your throw hand pointer finger. I like to try to land it close to my throw hand and the pull my hands apart and make the yo-yo walk across the string. I’ll reluctantly put up a video. Got a kid in the hospital so might be a minute. I say kid but she’s 27. Pretty serious though.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear about your daughter, I hope everything turns out alright and that she’ll be fine.

As for the trick, it would be interesting to see your variation of it when you have a chance to post a clip. No rush, though. Whenever you have time.

1 Like

I’ll need to practice some first as I’ve been focusing on a “proper” Brother and Double or Nothing. It will take me a minute to wrap my mind back into it. :grin:

1 Like

Yeah, when trying to repeat the trick consistently it’s not as easy as it seems haha.

Alright. Here it is. Since I wasn’t sure if this had a name (I’m sure it has to) I’ve just been calling it The Traveling Brother.

2 Likes

I’m thinking someone can guess what that yo-yo is…grand pride is my respect…:cricket::cricket::cricket:

Very nice! Yours grinds upwards and I think that the Travelling Brother is a great name for it. I’ll have to try that one when I get home. Mine is more of a downward grind. If I’d have to name it, the first thought that comes to mind is something like Grind The Rail or Rail Grind, since that’s what inspire the trick for me :slight_smile:

As for the yoyo, I can’t tell which one it is. Which yoyo is it?

That’s just because I raise it up. I can take it straight across or downward but it doesn’t snap back as nice. :grin:

Yeah, the snap back you do is very nice. I think it’s probably impossible to do with an unresponsive yoyo, though, so, I just grind it down, pop it off, and then bind haha.

Yeah. I do it on an unresponsive too but I’ve not found a really cool way finish it or move into something else. I haven’t visited the trick for quite a while though and I’ve learned a bit more since so I’ll be trying other stuff.