Please help me to remember this weird trick

Hello guys,

I have in my mind such a weird trick that I seen ages ago in a video of a meeting or something similar.
Sadly I do not have the video but I do remember the trick, I tried to create my own version but never achieve it as still I do not get how the hell this is possible to do.

Basically in the trick the rim of the cup “grind” on the string, it was like a trapeze but the string was on the rim with the yoyo on rotation, such a weird stuff.
Basically the rim in rotation is balancing on the string.

I tried to draw it using my powerful skills and the advance editing art tool called Paint

Untitled

Do you remember or you have ever seen this stuff?
I am sure I am not imaging it, I remember it was in a video.

2 Likes

Are you sure it was on the rim? It’s hard to tell what’s going on in a lot of those older videos since they’re all like 240p lmao… Unless there is a very specific yoyo that was being used to pull this off, it seems impossible to me that the string wouldn’t go immediately into the catch zone/hit the bearing area. I just don’t see how it would be physically possible unless the design of the yoyo specifically allowed for this sort of thing. Interested and following…

If anyone would know, I feel like it would be @JeiCheetah, they have more video/history knowledge than anyone I’ve ever met.

2 Likes

I am quite sure it was on the rim as it was posted on the italian yoyo forum and there was pages about this trick as it seemed impossible!
At that time there was no nine dragons and similar stuff so it was an unresponsive monometal yoy, sadly the italian yoyo forum is closed and not visible anymore so I cannot find the topic again, I tried for years this trick and as you said the string goes in the bearing immediately or “walk” on the string for a fraction of second.

This has been the biggest mystery that I have seen in yoyo, something that i really never understood

1 Like

It’s a reeeal long shot, but have you tried the Wayback Machine? If you haven’t heard of it, it’s a web archiver and although it doesn’t index EVERY page of obscure sites (like yoyo sites lol). I’ve had luck being able to browse a “snapshot” of YYE forums and even YoYoNation forums back in the day, on whatever specific date you choose (that’s available of course). I’d be absolutely shocked if individual topics within the forum were archived, but maybe it’ll be in the title of a post, or maybe you’ll see something that will jog your memory. If it doesn’t work for this specifically, it’s just a useful tool to know about in general for finding older stuff online that has since disappeared.

3 Likes

Thanks for that, I will try with some words and here on the forum I found this topic:

It seems to speak about the same trick I am talking about

1 Like

Great find! The Noctu definitely seems like one of those few yoyos that are able to pull that trick off. Best of luck my man.

2 Likes

Thanks man, I see that seems like there was a yoyo or two able to do those string grinds, probably in that video it was a modded yoyo or something similar adapt to do this because I don’t find any other explanation!

2 Likes

Yoyos like the Mondial had grooves on the rim if you remove the o rings. Could probably rim grind on it easily.

4 Likes

I thought it was his belly for a second.

5 Likes

@rizki_yoist me too :joy: before reading I thought it was a depiction of Jensen’s Horizontal “belt like” trick and the yoyo was his belly :rofl:

2 Likes

I’ve wondered in the past if a trick like this was possible with a Galactic Goose… though I never tried it.

2 Likes

Honestly guys, I wrote in the “fail” topic that I am the worst at drawing, now you have the actual demonstration of it :rofl: it really looks his belly I am dying laughing, you made my day today!

The trick we discovered it was possible only with certain yoyo still I will be curious to try, do any of you have a yoyo to try it?

4 Likes

I can’t help you on your search, BUT if it makes you feel better, you’re not crazy. I know exactly the trick you’re talking about but i can’t remember the video either. Was a long time ago, but i’ve seen the trick before. Dude def had a certain yoyo to pull this off but it grinded on the string, like a trapeze, and started slowly rotating like it would with a IRG grind but slower.

Oh, my friend has a yoyo called the Dumpster Fire. Rain city skills i think? I did this string grind on accident on that thing. Don’t get one just for this trick though, it’s trash to the point that it’s not even fun. Hold out and find one of the other throws that can do it.

1 Like

It is possible with the Galactic Goose but only for a moment because it makes the yo-yo tilt. You have to pop it off the string quickly before the yo-yo tilts too far if you want to catch it in a trapeze. Sometimes during play the string goes in the groove and causes tilt, throws you off, or ruins your trick(like you’re just cruising on your bicycle and somebody jams a stick in the wheel). Some people found this to be a negative quality, but I thought it made for a fun and interesting yo-yo.

1 Like

I remember this being an issue when it came out. Made me want to try it all the more.

1 Like

Guys thanks so much to help me with this, it was bugging me from years this trick and tried to do it thousand times with “normal” yoyo, at least I know I am not mad, at this point I am not interested to learn the trick, as it need a “special” yoyo to do it, it was cool if it was possible with a modern throw but seems not (or at least in years I have not found the way).

Now I have another question, will be possible to do this trick but with the full side of the cup?

I mean, throwing horizontal and creating a “square” with the string and let the cup in horizontal grind onto this string square, it will not slip away? thinking about the amount of surface maybe should “keep” the yoyo there, this time I can avoid to draw it :laughing:.

I have to try!

1 Like

Are you sure it was on the rim of the yo-yo? I kinda remember seeing someone do this with a pointed hubstack and it rotated like a spin top.