The 0A Thread (Fixed Axle & Modern Responsive)

I’m curious to see how the response changes with use. Fresh off the lathe it’s working great, but I can understand how it may become too slippery over time.

Recently got this fine little fellow. Only 48mm diameter so makes a nice pocket throw but still plenty of heft at 49g. Very smooth and just plain fun thanks again to @Glenacius_K for the sweet hookup

18 Likes

I have seen some pictures of wood throws with coffee machines… I don’t know why, but it looks so appealing to me… :yo-yo::coffee:

2 Likes

PockeHt + Jura S8 is pretty much perfection for me lol. :coffee: :yo-yo:

17 Likes

13 Likes

Wood yoyos and coffee, that’s makes my mouth water a and hands tremble.
:smiley:

3 Likes

Does anyone know what type of grease @DocPop uses for his responsive bearings? Whatever is in the Weekender works much better than the thick lube I’ve got.

4 Likes

It’s Traxxas silicone grease and it’s absolutely my favorite! I “season” all my responsive yo-yos with it. Just a dab on the inside walls of your yo-yo (where the bearing would sit) and you are good to go. You can also find Brain Lube at some places online and that’s my second favorite. A little less thick than the Traxxas grease and needs more frequent application, but it has its charms.

7 Likes

The Super Lube grease is good too.

2 Likes

Bryan Figueroa level up UFOs Sleeping Beauties

https://www.instagram.com/p/CMdIMnkhs9P/?igshid=1vdfdkp7cbilu

6 Likes

Would yall say there is a “staple” group of tricks and techniques a player should follow to advance more in fixed and responsive play? Or do yall see most of it as choose your own adventure and just bounce around to whatever appeals to you? I know certain tricks build off knowledge gained from specific mounts and stalls even going back to 1a but just was curious if yall see improving as a player as a more rigid path or more flexible

2 Likes

There should be no rules, just have fun, I learn something new every time I watch that @drewtetz Learn These Tricks

6 Likes

Yeah agree while some stuff can be helpful to build into other things the most important part is just have fun and not take it too seriously

Im in an interesting spot myself as far as yoyo progression goes. I’ve been technically throwing since 96 but been on hiatus from the hobby for about 20 years so I only ever developed into an intermediate player at best so I’m still learning a lot of things. I regret missing out on all the interesting developments of the hobby through the years but hindsights 20/20 and the important part is I’m back in now so might as well just dig back in and keep learning

6 Likes

Here too:

especially if you like things broken down and explained. Ed does that with each trick.

This is also becoming an awesome resource!

8 Likes

What is a good fixie metal? Are there some new ones or is my best bet a Tom Kuhn? Wood is fun and all, but I’d like something more comfortable and consistent with the same level of challenge still.

2 Likes

Do you mean responsive metal? Not many choices for fixed metal. You could get a Luftverk blank, but personally, I don’t care for them.

4 Likes

Yeah I mean responsive, how do those play in 0a metals like the Weekender and Alley Cat?

1 Like

Those both use size A, so they wouldn’t work at all.

My experience was that they just stop the yoyo dead in its tracks. You’re doing good to get 6 seconds out of them, and that’s with a heavy yoyo; which aren’t so well-liked for 0a in general. Also, the spin decay is abrupt, so once it starts to die, you have almost no spin time left.

That means they’re only good for stalls and moons and such. Personally, I want the yoyo to spin some too. So many great fixed axles that spin long, and respond well, that I don’t see the point or have any desire to play with the blanks.

For responsive the Weekender and Allycat you mentioned are great! Otherwise, stick with wood and get a Harbinger. They spin long, and respond consistently.

4 Likes

Yeah I didn’t even think about size I’m dumb lol, size C seems way too big for a fixed axle. What’s so great about the Harbinger? It’s bigger than my normal preference

I concur. Great for stalls for sure.

2 Likes