The 0A Thread (Fixed Axle & Modern Responsive)

I love modding modern responsives to be fixies. I find mr85 is the best and then A bearing also works quite well. Do you have an RBC? That is the #1 fixie for me. :blush:

2 Likes

Do you have any tips for removing shields from MR85 bearings? The pin I’ve used to remove the sheilds from C bearings seems too big.

1 Like

I use a sewing needle to remove the c clips but some of them come press fit in with no clips. They can still be removed but you need to pierce them to leverage out.
I can sell one that I have made with epoxy. Pm me if you would like one. :blush:

I have 20 MR85 bearings to destroy in the process of removing the shields before I declare defeat and buy one.

2 Likes

I think after over a year I finally figured out varials! I’ve landed a couple here and there before, but it was like 1/100 success rate. Now I can land every 1 out of 5! Landed it maybe a dozen times in the past 30min.

My biggest mistake leading up to now was I would pop the yoyo up and then pull my throw hand back, trying to use that string only to rotate the yoyo, trying to leave my non-throw hand in the trapeze the whole time motionless. I’m here to tell ya, you have to pull your non throw hand finger out from the trapeze and the yoyo will rotate! Cant believe how long that trick took me to learn.

12 Likes

I just dropped super glue right onto the shield and it worked great. Mine were press fit so I just put on a drop and spread it out with a toothpick. Tried to make sure I got some into the holes and gaps between the race and the shield.

1 Like

Nice dude! Congrats! Varials we’re one that took me forever too. Definitely one of the best tricks

1 Like

No RBC yet. Waiting for the B/S/T stars to align with my bank account.

2 Likes

I am getting Royce! He will also be named Dr. Teeth.

I wanted a No Jive after seeing Ed’s videos and blog, but was worried that I’m not skilled enough to get it tuned well. So despite declaring to myself a week ago that I wasn’t buying any more yoyos for a while, I caved and got the last unclaimed one.

6 Likes

These should be coming tuned to ed’s skilled standards. However, if you ever want to tinker, this is a good starting place to be aware of the various was to tinker with a No Jive: https://www.sector-y.com/uploads/kinopah/NoJiveTuningGuide.mp4

3 Likes

Awesome, thanks!

1 Like

one handed “Takeshi Rocks” stall

Happy Fixed Axle Friday!

15 Likes

Just sneaking in this quick Father’s Day pullstart DNA on the Button.

19 Likes

Midday 0a break.

19 Likes

Y-flip

11 Likes

Deeper State action several thousand miles away from home, just had to bust out the eiffel tower in front of the Kings Island Eiffel Tower :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Neat sister park to kings dominion down in doswell va which I’ve been to so many times in my life time.

1 Like

Is there a difference between a responsive bearing throw and a fixed axle when it comes to play?

1 Like

Spin time mostly your gonna get maybe 3-5 seconds on a fixed axle vs a bearing going much longer. Also usually response. Both are friction but often a modern responsive with a bearing is going to be a pad while a fixed axle is going to be the gap and inside of the YoYo. Sometimes response holes or even turbo disks or something along those lines.

Play wise they are the same in tricks mostly but it’s a right tool for right job thing. You can do any trick on a fixie but it’s gonna be harder than a bearing.

Play wise your gonna lean allot more into stalls on a fixed axle and more strong tricks on a bearing but that’s a super generalization

2 Likes

But both are capable of all the same tricks, right? Is there an advantage/disadvantage tradeoff? Do those who use fixed axle just like the nostalgic feel of it?

1 Like