Show some wooden yoyos you've made

That’s how Pedro Flores did his early versions in the 1920s .

8 Likes

thank you for the link to Flores’ wiki. Interesting read about the early history of our hobby.

kgb

3 Likes

Does anyone know if there is actual documentation to support the idea that Flores’ yoyo was called “unresponsive” because it could sleep?

Not sure if I’ve shown a picture of it yet, but here is the new 6 shooter response I’m using.

Benefits include, smoother spin feel and excellent wall grip for strong spins and regens.

29 Likes

Made a maple Bloodcell.

34 Likes

Made my two finest today in white oak: a KNack and a Bloodcell.

Bloodcell is taken.

21 Likes

If Glen is selling the oak KNack, jump on it! My oak KNack is one of my favorites.

1 Like

@Glenacius_K PM’d :blush:

If I wanted to try turning my own wood yoyo on a lathe, do any of you have recommendations on what sort of equipment would be necessary? I am a complete woodworking novice.

6 Likes

My guess…

1. A Lathe
1 Like

Bench grinder with 80 grit and 120 grit wheels, preferably slow speed.

A 13mm jacobs chuck

A bandsaw

Any basic lathe from a woodworking store

Half inch square end scraper, a 3/8 spindle gouge

A drill press

Various drill bits, specifically bradpoints.

120, 180 and 220 grit sandpaper

Two part epoxy.

Hardwood of your choice

8mm hardwood dowel. quarter inch will also do.

These are the absolute basic tools for making a turned yoyo without it being too long and arduous.

19 Likes

Touché :joy:

1 Like

I think I have most of those items available through my work, but I’ll have to double check. Not sure about the bench grinder. Our shop classes do wood turning projects, but I don’t know the extent of their equipment.

They would definitely have a bench grinder if they do turning in any capacity.

4 Likes

That would make sense.

Ok, tomorrow is the day. I’m going to try to turn a wood yoyo.

8 Likes

The bench grinder is only if you’re using high speed steel tools. If you use carbide you won’t need the grinder.

4 Likes

On my YouTube channel I have videos showing different ways I’ve made yo-yos. I have made some with only a drill press that came out great but takes a bit more time and effort. But now I normally I use a drill press, router and lathe

7 Likes

They have carbide tools, so I decided to go with those for now since they’re already in the shop. I just turned the blades to a sharp side.

1 Like

Yes! I watched all of your videos yesterday as well as this one Glen made a while ago. I also scrolled way back through TMBR’s Instagram to get inspiration. They were all a huge help to wrap my head around this.

8 Likes