Show some wooden yoyos you've made

Bamboo too?! Let us know how hard that is/was to work.

1 Like

Like I said in an earlier post; if it can be a KNack, it will be a KNack.

This was made from a couple of blanks of deodar cedar I had lying around. Its about 38g.

It features my latest response (drilled hole variant), which is smooth consistent and translates a good amount of power into the throw.

29 Likes

The grain in that throw looks perfect

4 Likes

Had some Walnut and padauk lying around, so I made these two.

28 Likes

No idea if it’d be a good material for yoyos but I just learned about Black Locust wood and thought it was very interesting!

8 Likes

Describe your process, these look great

I call this one the Firewood.

Because that’s what it’s good for.

14 Likes

This Firewood is looking Hot :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Looks at least like a mantlepiece!

1 Like

Messed up an order and made a Button instead of a Bloodcell. :disappointed:

22 Likes

It still looks great though !!! I love the button design :grin:

2 Likes

Finally made it to the wood supply store. I picked up some bocote, yellow heart, and cherry. Hopefully this week I’ll have some time to play in the garage a bit.

18 Likes

I am absolutely giddy. :joy:

1 Like

Got some blank pucks cut out.

16 Likes

TCB! Have you ever gotten any scrap posts or other dowels to work? I got a few large diameter dowels a few years ago and I’m thinking about turning at least one of them into yoyos.

3 Likes

I just picked up a 5/8 or 3/4 inch dowel I’m going to try out.

2 Likes

Cool. I was talking about the body rather the axles though! I got a couple of fat beech or something dowels to use as a mattarello for making pasta a few years ago. One is 3’x3" and is just two thick to use, so I thought about chopping it into slices and turning them. Don’t have a lathe (yet) though. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh. Gotcha. I’ve never seen dowels larger than an inch made out of good wood anyway

2 Likes

Has anyone ever carved a yoyo by hand? Like sitting on the front porch with carving tools? Look! I made a yoyo!

4 Likes

I be keen to try that one day.

5 Likes