A couple of questions for you wooden yoyo throwers

I’m currently still prototyping (after around 30 attempts) my next model.

I just want to throw out a couple of questions to you wooden yoyo throwers to maybe give me a little guidance/clarity.

1. Would you care about a wooden yoyo that is easier to perform long string tricks on? (I don’t think I do).

2. Do you like heavy exotic woods like purpleheart, wenge and other Australian hard woods, or do you prefer more standard, lighter woods?

3. Is diameter a big deal to you? Would a small diameter fixed axle, say around 53mm be appealing at all?

4. Do you like the idea of the axle being made from the same wood as the yoyo’s halves?

Let me know!

3 Likes

In response to #3. I really like smaller diameter yoyos. I just haven’t ever played a fixed axle small diameter yoyo that worked for me.

3 Likes

Here are my opinions:

1. not really. To me, one of the things I like about fixed axle is the challenge of doing longer tricks (currently still chasing Spirit Bomb). Now, if you are thinking about an unresponsive wooden yoyo, that is a different story, I would definitely have some interest
  2. this is a mixed bag. I do have a purpleheart OUT yoyo that is fun, but, it hits like a brick. However, I do like variety in my wood yoyos, and, different wood gives different play and aesthetics. So again, I would be interested in the exotic wood (although, the exotic price is still somewhat of a deterrant)
  3. I would imagine heavier exotic wood and smaller diameter going hand in hand. My concern with a small, somewhat light wood is the spin time may suffer. This could be a true stall machine, but, also may limit playability and desireability
  4. I’ve not really thought much of this. The YYF legend wing (and imperial) are made from one piece of wood, that works very well. The TMBR take aparts give options for axle wood, also works well (I have a spare axle that hasn’t yet been needed). I think as long as it plays well, different woods don’t matter to me.

So, are you shipping to the USA again, or, are these more market research questions? As I have said many times, the zebrano you made me is top notch.

french

2 Likes

Yes, I’m shipping to the USA again!

3 Likes

I’m asking these questions help steer me in the right direction.

These exotic woods are so heavy, it’s really difficult coming up with a design for them that feels good to use without that brick feeling. I’ve tried reducing the diameter, but it still doesn’t seem quite right.

Perhaps I could just use the exotic woods as caps on the side rather than making the entire yoyo out of it. The process would take much longer, but it would work

3 Likes

I don’t have much of a preference in wooden throws so my opinions might be a bit vague, but I’m happy to share my thoughts anyway.

1. I personally love the idea of long/seemingly impossible tricks on a fixed axle, but wouldn’t consider the ability to do so a priority. When I think of a fixie geared towards long string tricks, I imagine it being less responsive, which I wouldn’t necessarily want. I would much prefer a yoyo with a snappy response that still returns with neutral string tension. In terms of shape, a bit of catch zone never hurts.

2. Any wood is fine by me, as long as it plays well and isn’t super rare or expensive. I guess I would lean more towards standard woods for that reason, I just think it’s more practical. I’m sure lighter, more common wood would be easier to turn/give better results as well.

3. Diameter isn’t too important to me, but I do enjoy over/undersized more than the standard 56mm. I think 53mm sounds like a very appealing diameter!

4. This doesn’t bother me at all. I think an axle should be made from the wood that is best for making axles.

Anyway, you seem to be making all the right decisions so far, keep making them the way you want to, I say.

2 Likes

It might be an interesting to experiment with using the denser wood to distribute weight. You could put the denser wood in the middle to make a butterfly that loops a bit better, or on the outer rings to improve spin and stability for an unresponsive…

1 Like
  1. Not so much but variety is nice.
  2. Generally I like the standard woods and weights. The really heavy ones I have do not perform as well for stalls.
  3. No, diameter is not a big issue with me.
  4. I prefer an axle that gives me the best performance. Does not need to match the yoyo halves.

Personally, I would like something wider, closer to the Legend Wing but with more weight. It may be my imagination but I find the little extra weight on the varnished versions of the Legend Wing really improve performance.

1 Like

1: Not really.
2: I like maple, don’t need or want to pay for exotic wood.
3: I like std. sizing i.e. similar in size to TK or BC yoyos.
4: I think maple is just fine.

1 Like

Maple yields a nice smooth axle for sure.

I want to get more experimental with axles to determine the qualities of different woods. Different woods, I might add than what TMBR have tried before like:

• Australian cypress pine
  • myrtle beech
  • wenge
  • spotted gum
  • karri

to name some.

I’m going to make a merbau Harbinger today with a cypress pine axle to test and maybe sell here. I predict a super smooth feel with good response.

I made the merbau Harbinger with the Cypress pine axle. It’s definitely a good wood to use. It spins smoothly it can barely be felt on a sleeper and gives excellent response. I’ll be using it again.

1 Like

Well, you’ll probably hate me if I say Wenge :wink:

Lol. (make a a cross symbol with fingers).

1 Like

I actually turned that last yoyo I made completely out of Wenge, even the axle. I’m amazed I could get a smooth enough axle out of it because the grain is really open and sharp. It actually worked pretty well. It would be difficult to turn one any smaller than 7mm, though.

one thing i’m trying with a reasonably heavy wood prototype is making the walls thinner than one would on say an oak yoyo. if it turns out good and strong despite the thinner walls, that might work

1. Not important to me. If I am looking for longer spin times, I just switch to a bearing yoyo.

2)Heavy weighted= No. Exotic woods = Yes.

1. No preference on Diameter. Love trying new things.

2. Does not need to match the yoyo halves. This is more of which material gives the best performance and life.

1 Like

I like relatively light and small is cool. Like BC phantom or lightning sizes. I like looking at the exotic woods but my favorite wooden yo-yos are painted anyway. Mostly I’ve used wood for looping and simple stuff so I prefer response over spin time ( but obviously needs to be able to sleep)

This very old stuff people.

No need to reply any longer.