Show some wooden yoyos you've made

Haha, a fresh load for the H shape argument.
Now there’s O, W, V, H and P!

1 Like

Diy spectra will be ready to cut tomorrow. I know it’s going to suck, paulownia is probably the worst timber I’ve ever used and it’s stained with coffee and homemade ink. But as long as the method works I can use better materials.

13 Likes

Sounds very artisanal. :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Plywood Yes - Spectraply Not even close.

This is what I get for cutting 6 days off a 7 day job. The solvent in the ink leached out the colour that was already there (left over panels from a DIY techdeck park, pre graffitied) and the glue took it all to the edge.
While this was drying I came up with a pigment/solvent/epoxy combo for a nice series of permanent stains, I’ll put some pine on to soak this afternoon.

5 Likes

So some of you may know, I’ve made the shift from three-piece fixed axle yoyos (two cross-grain oriented halves glued together with an axle) to one-piece fixed axle yoyos (turned entirely out of a single block of wood in spindle orientation).

I just want to know what your opinions are if you own both. Do you prefer your three-piece Spinworthies or one-piece?

I do believe there are merits to both, but there is definitely one I like more than the other.

What are your thoughts?

6 Likes

Hey Glen! Have a huge question, and hopefully a gracious response. Would you happen to have or be able to sell me a rbc or the new harbinger? If so, please let me know. Im new to forum, so sorry if this is not the place for this. Thank you!

1 Like

I will message you directly about it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So, what would you say to possible having an rbc made? I’d be willing to pay a little extra for that.

1 Like

I have both 3-piece and 1-piece designs, and prefer the 1-piece. The response is perfect on the 1-piece for me. I find that when I tug the string it feels a bit softer and smoother, more fluid. It’s a little hard to put into words since it’s so much about feeling.

Another benefit I’ve found is the lack of insanely knotted snags and shredded string around the response dimples. All in all everything just feels smoother to me and the response is very dependable. I don’t think it’s ever not come up when I tugged the string regardless of string torsion. If I sense it’s getting slightly sloppy, it’s always because the string needs to be changed from wear.

I’ve been trying to decide which wood fixie to bring with me to Japan since I’ll be visiting Rewind and other yoyo related shops, and want to show off some 0A stuff. Pretty sure my 1-piece Harbinger will be the one.

7 Likes

I have both sysyems from you.

Both Play well.

I personally have been gravitating towards the 1 piece more than the 3 piece.

Mr. Charlie described what I couldnt put into words!

6 Likes

i only have the three piece. at some point i would love a knack or button 1 piece as that sounds like a fantastic yoyo to me but timing hasn’t work on my end when you’ve had stuff available.

3 Likes

It’s so hard to put into words since it’s such a subtle feeling. Something about the tiny amount of delay when you tug while still being dependable every time. It allows you to not focus on the yoyo itself and more the movements of your hands and string. You know it’s going to come up and exactly what that feels like every time.

Another cool thing about them that I like is the response can be slightly rough at first, and as you play it smooths out. It feels like the yoyo is breaking in to the person that’s throwing it. Almost like a gold tipped fountain pen contouring over time to the writers unique strokes (for lack of a better analogy).

5 Likes

By spindle orientation do you mean that the two faces of the yoyo would be end grain? I am unsure what I have. Thanks.

In spindle orientation, the grain of the wood runs parallel to the axle.

1 Like

I’ve only got 3 piece models and they’re all great but I already know, without having to try it, that I would like the one piece better. Hole response took some getting used to for me. At first, I got a lot more snags. The string would bunch up in one hole but, eventually I figured out how to throw it so that happened less. I imagine the one piece would eliminate that problem altogether.

2 Likes

I like both, I’m also open to the idea of a 3 piece made from spindle turned halves.

I think timber like blackwood and oak look dull when cut into planks, but my new blackwood BC looks like a piece of art. The spindle turned oak looked insane. I’m only a couple of days in, but the new BC has the best response feel yet

My Button, maple 3 piece, is still running nicely. My hands have polished the whole thing super smooth, it’s hard to tell now that it’s not a 1 piece. I’m not sure if I’d care whether it was 1 or 3 piece as long as it works. While it’s not a real issue (me running my string to death), I do switch out dying string from the Button to other throws.

Took a little while to get it running (using double wrapped fluffy poly to put some extra fibre into the walls), but the Dish is now running like a dream and is fast and agile even compared to other SWs.

1 piece throws also need no glue, I’m happy to cut down your formaldehyde exposure from epoxy use. No need to make/buy axles or need a special gluing bracket, keeping it all on the lathe seems like the way to go.

4 Likes

Tha ks for your comments @GnarlyCharlie, @Pun1sh3R and @Nic_from_Adelaide !

I’d like to add that I also prefer the one piece throws. They juat feel smoother and give that desirable ‘hang time’ feeling on regen elements.

I just love that it is the traditional way of turning yoyos too and no glue or joins anywhere.

Glad you guys are digging them. I enjoy making them!

10 Likes

I wish I could chime in more like the others, but I happen to like them both equally in my opinion, haha. I feel like unconsciously when I reach to the shelf, I will gravitate sometimes to a 3-piece and sometimes to a 1-piece. I can’t exactly place what makes me choose one over the other, and usually it’s more the design itself I might be looking for at that moment (do I want a larger throw, a slimmer one, a wide, heavier, lighter, etc.), but either way, as long as it’s a Spinworthy, I know it’s going to be a fun time regardless. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@Glenacius_K I know you’ve said before how big of a pain the Bloodcell’s are to make, but a one-piece Bloodcell would be such a nice fixie. Even just as an object.

2 Likes

Wasn’t there a one piece bloodcell for sale recently with a few other one piece models? Maybe I’m misremembering…

Found it!

3 Likes