Show some wooden yoyos you've made

Yeah, I definitely think it does. It helps more of the string wrap closer to the center, which basically helps stalls be more stable. The yoyo sits lower on the string and is more balanced when stalling.
On flips, the loop retains its shape better too

6 Likes

For example, the red string is closer to the axle (schmoove version) and you can see that the yoyo is going to balance better than with the green string (no schmoove groove).

7 Likes

So you’re who bought it!!! I remember seeing this at the contest and was super tempted but couldn’t swing it with everything else I bought that day.

So awesome to see Eric’s stuff still out there in the wild.

1 Like

My concern is that holes that shape may cause lumpy, messy binding too far from the axle. Give them a try though, I could be wrong.

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s possible that circles are a better shape since there are no parallel edges. I’ll have to try more smaller circles close to the axle.

I also want to try something like this where the hole tapers off as it moves away from the axle

16 Likes

Kinda looks like Ziplines string thing

3 Likes

I wonder how effective small holes like this would be. These are 3.175mm diameter holes.

11 Likes

I quite like this as a response concept.

3 Likes

It seems like the main problem with any hole response system is nasty axle knots when string (probably poor torsion management) gets deep into one or more of them. The Button is cool because hopefully you can push some of those out from the outside. Seems like the smaller holes would be another solution worth trying. Must be fun to make and test these different ideas.

3 Likes

what if this were more tear drop shaped? narrow end is the shallow end.

1 Like

If anyone else is interested in joining the list for a Spinworthy yoyo (or two), you may still join.

I have ordered more maple and white oak to meet the demand.:+1:

Because I no longer make yoyos for the students in my class I should be able to get through the order list much faster. (I now just buy them Spinstars instead)

16 Likes

Glen, the grain on these is incredible. They look like topographical maps.

3 Likes

The teardrop shape could be a good idea. I imagine that the responsiveness might gradually decrease away from the axle since there’s progressively less space for the string to latch onto

Here’s a model of the teardrop response holes. The edges become more curved as they near the point, ideally making it most responsive closer to the axle and preventing string from getting stuck in the point of the teardrop. It’s also pretty shallow - about 1mm max depth. My experience is that it doesn’t take much depth for effective response holes.

16 Likes

Killer man, this CAD + wood thing is so fricken cool!

1 Like

question, what is the depth at about half the length of the teardrop and then again near the point?

1 Like

It’s still 1mm depth at halfway. From there it tapers up, first concave, then convex to meet the level surface. This wireframe shows it a little better.

5 Likes

Hildy Brothers use to do the tight small circles

13 Likes

I’ve never played one of them (although I would love to). Have you ever tried one like that?

1 Like

Yeah, I have a Currier and an Azalea, Hildys play rather slow and soft, primarily due to the larger axle diameter.

2 Likes