Let’s talk 3D printing

Neat if you’re sharing I wouldn’t mind giving that a crack as well. I love the hilbert curve look it does take a while though. I haven’t found anything I’ve been willing to do it on yet. I usually go concentric or ironing on a surface.

I’ve been tinkering with an idea and sorting up a yoyo that’s 3d printed with a wood dowel apparently great minds think alike @TheThrowingGnome

1 Like

For sure, I’ll send it over. I’m planning on making some minor tweaks, then I’ll post a public link to the STL. Just want to perfect it before sharing it with the masses. But I’m happy to share this version in case anyone else wants it. Just let me know.

Btw, I haven’t tried ironing yet but that does look appealing, especially for a yoyo. I may try that on my next print.

1 Like

Ironing is neat it makes the face smooth but you still can see the pattern you chose so I imagine it would look neat ironing a hilbert curve. It’s only really worth doing on flat faces though. Stepped and curved surfaces come out weird if you iron them.

In this you still see the rings a bit in the concentric pattern but it’s smooth to the touch.

I also desperately want a reason to use fuzzy skin but I haven’t found a good use case yet.

3 Likes

Yesss that is exactly the effect I need! Seems like it would smooth out any minor surface defects. Also that white imperial-shaped throw looks mighty fine.

Finally got my configs down and made my first successful print! A bit of stringing, but it still turned out well. (Apologies for the REALLY bad lighting and dust)

On a different note, anyone know how to install different firmware? Tried my hand at it, but it messed up and most controls are now unreadable :confused:

3 Likes

What firmware are you trying to install? Also what printer?

First print looks good though. Exciting to see all the 3d printing popping up.

1 Like

Yesterdays print turned out nice.

6 Likes

So what filament does everyone use? What brands do people like. I imagine filament is like yoyo string more similar than anything between brands within the same type and lots of bias and opinions. Regardless curious what folks are using.

To that effect what types of filament are yall working with.

In my case I’ve only printed pla and my wife got me 2kg worth of creality ender series black and white pla. Seems to work fine for what I’ve been making.

2 Likes

Overture Matte PLA is my favorite. I use the PLA Pro or carbon fiber if structural.

3 Likes

You have to upgrade your nozzle to print pla with carbon fiber right?

You don’t have to. You’ll just burn through nozzles faster. I replace nozzles often anyway.

1 Like

Do you have a good bulk brass nozzle source?

I really like polymaker filament.

2 Likes

Amazon

Personally, I use the base Overture PLA, but I’ve been thinking of branching out into PETG when I have the chance.

It was Alex’s firmware for the Voxelab Aquila, on a Voxelab Aquila. Luckily, finally figured out the problem! (turns out my Mac was adding hidden things on the sd cards, which I had to clean via terminal to get it working)

1 Like

More printing. Have mod 44 butterfly rims now and some failed prints.

4 Likes

Currently I have been using a lot of Inland (micro center brand)PLA+ / pro and PETG because a Micro Center opened a new store here in Indianapolis this past summer ( FINALLY! ) so I’ve been testing out the different variations they have because it’s pretty affordable and it’s freaking local. I LOVE being able to drive and buy filament instead of having to wait on it to get shipped. Granted, I do wish they carried more brand varieties though, but they do have a pretty good selection besides the Inland stuff.

I also kind of dig Capricorn Tubes filament, they are also local. They mostly carry specialty filaments like glow in the dark, thermochromic, and glittery stuff. It prints super well and it’s pretty consistent too. I like quite a bit but it can be on the pricier side. Link

I also really like Protopasta as well, they have TONS of crazy cool filaments but they also come at a cost so it’s not something I print with regularly but I sure do love it.

Cookiecad does some suh-weet glittery and other colorful colors. I just love the tiny particle glitter ones they have. Micro Center sells it too which is pretty cool, but it’s never in stock hahaha!

Eryone PETG is pretty sweet. It prints super well and it’s super affordable. I haven’t ever tried their PLA but definitely would vouch for their PETG I love it.

Sainsmart TPU is the bomb honestly. I have tried a few other TPU brands and so far the Sainsmart has been my favorite. It’s 95A shore hardness and it prints super clean and it’s wicked durable too.

I would avoid 3DHojor and Filacube. Both of them are just absolute junk IMO. They are dirt cheap and perform like pure-arse.

2 Likes

Printed some c and mr85 blanks today

4 Likes

Do you have the files for those??? I’d love to convert my Bastet to a fixie sometime soon!

1 Like