3D Printing

Does anyone else here have a 3d printer? I just made a “ Yoyoexpert plus cube” and 1x1x2 cube!

12 Likes

OMG this is awesome cc @YoYoExpertGarrett @AndreBoulay

2 Likes

This is awesome! Nice work!! :blush:

3 Likes

Any idea if 3D printing is being utilized in the manufacturing of yoyos, say for making molds for the various Loop2020 components? Or any other plastic yoyos?

Seems like it would be useful and cost effective when prototyping various starburst for example. As opposed to machining small parts for molds.

I haven’t a clue, but am curious if this technology has made an impact on prototyping & manufacturing for our beloved skill toy?

2 Likes

Well I could definitely print the main body and spacers for the loop 2020 with my type of printer. The starbursts are a little harder because of there shape, I probably could get it to work. There are different kinds of 3d printers out there that could print all the plastic parts of a yo-yo but they cost a little more​:dollar::dollar:. I have made a yo-yo before and it did work but it didn’t spin that long. Mostly because I didn’t quit understand the software. With enough time and money it is definitely possible. If you want to check out more on 3d printing go to shapeways.com .

2 Likes

It took all day, but I finally made my first side effect yoyo! @MarkD

5 Likes

How’d yours turn out? And what’s the gap look like?

2 Likes

It’s to light and kinda wobbly. It’s needs a lot more rim weight. The infill is 100% though.

4 Likes

Maybe you can weigh the rims down with hot glue?

1 Like

Good idea! Hadn’t thought of that. Eventually I’m going to print one with more rim weight.

1 Like

Or fill-in all the ugly print gap lines with automotive bondo…sand and paint it afterwards.

There is a new material science and 3D print lab located in Rapid City So.Dakota to keep an eye on. Word is there are concocting a plethora of new material substrates for 3D printing. Will be an exciting future…especially for astronauts yoyoing in space.

2 Likes

The gap lines in the cup or the gap?Speaking of yo-yong in space, https://youtu.be/bpljytIwcaQ

Quick model I tried out on a library printer. Little wobbly but manageable. 100% infill, 0,6mm layer height, 8hrs per half.

4 Likes

A library printer? I’ve never heard of that. Your yo-yo looks like it has a lot finer print than mine. Probably why it took eight hours!:dizzy_face: How is it?

1 Like

It’s alright. Nothing excellent, but defo playable. 3d printing is a great way to proto designs. I’ve a few ones I’d like to machine, so with printing I can make sure I like how it looks and that the proportions are bueno.

Many finnish libraries have makerspaces with lots of stuff free to use. It’s so cool.

3 Likes

image 3D printed yoyo 2.0, heavy weight edition. Less wobbly but one of the halves is a little loose. Spins better but the bearing is rubbing or something so it’s responsive. Inspired by the mvp.image|666x500

4 Likes

very cool!!

1 Like

these look so sweet!!

1 Like

Thingaverse (is this spelled right?) is a great public place to pick up all sorts of components you might want to add to your skill toy. you can also make your creations go public so that others can check out your work, and even print it if they want to.

2 Likes

That’s actually where I got those cubes.

1 Like