Homemade yoyo made using 3D printer?

Hey forum, what’s going on? New user here, and just wanted to get everyone’s opinion on making a yoyo using a 3D printer. It’s for a school project, and it’s also my first time making a yoyo myself. I was hoping the someone could maybe give me some guidelines on the dimentions, the size of the bearing seat, and the response system. i still don’t know if it should be a 1a or 2a yoyo yet. any help would be appreciated! :slight_smile:

Oh, and by the way, if i’ve put this post in the wrong spot on the forum, could a moderator be so kind as to toss it in the right section? thanks! :slight_smile:

Welcome to the forum!

I’m not 100% sure what material is used in 3D printers (I’m sure you can get different things) but at least the idea of doing that would work, although it might not be perfect.

You can make up the dimensions you want. If you really want, you could look at some different yoyos.

Theyo had a thread about this not to long ago. Here is what kyo had to say about it.

3d printers suck for yoyos… they aren’t high tolerance, they don’t offer a nice surface finish, they use extremely light weight materials that typically are not anywhere near as durable as most modern injection molded plastics. Feel free to make it of course… just don’t expect it to be very good…

That said… you’re going to need a solid 3d model to use a 3d printer so you’ll need a 3d CAD package that you understand well enough to build the model.

You don’t want to thread the plastic, so you’ll want to create a nut/bolt system… past that you can do pretty much whatever you want.

Kyle

thanks for the replies, everyone. i was thinking of press fitting some nuts on the outside and picking up an axle and bearing from a hardware store. after it’s printed, i was thinking of putting it on a drill press to lathe out the sides to make it smooth. does that sound good? i’m also going to make the sides solid and flush, much like the “pure”. one more thing, does anyone have any ideas for another type of material to work with instead of using 3D printer plastics? Thanks! :slight_smile:

With the printers you are limited to whatever materials they are designed for… usually only a couple unless it’s an extremely high end machine (typically $100k+) and even then it’s relatively limited.

The problem with the finish is that it is built in layers, they run all the way through the part and you’ll be able to see them. They can be minimized, but it’ll never be great.

The balance and tolerance problems could theoretically be minimized by post machining, however if you’re doing that you might as well just machine it to start with… you won’t be saving any time or effort.

Kyle

at the risk of sounding stupud, what is a 3D printer??? ???

Google works wonders buddy ^^ 3D printing - Wikipedia

If that doesn’t answer all your questions on the subject, let me know.

alright, thanks for your help, everyone. i’ll be sure to give it a shot and update as i progress along with the build. school’ll be out for 2 weeks, so i won’t be able to do anything for a while, but when i’m back in i’ll be sure to update everyone. again, i appreciate all the help, thanks :slight_smile:

If the material is an issue you could always print a master and make a mold from it.

Casting yo-yos isn’t a good idea. Injection molding works but to be economical you would need to make and sell a couple thousand of the yo-yo.

i would make a mould, but the thing is that my school doesn’t have a machinery to attempt such a project, and even if i had the mould, i would be able to cast any metal or plastic into it. anyways, i appreciate the effort :smiley:

today’s officially the last day of school for me, so i won’t be doing very much of the project for the next 2 weeks, but as soon as i’m back (jan 4) i’ll be sure to let everyone know how it’s going along :slight_smile:

Happy Holidays!!! ;D

If you have a lathe you could make a yoyo with a chunk of derlin/celcon.

You can get it here:

http://www.yoyoguy.com/PN/DR01/Yo-yo-Tools/Blank-Delrin-Disc

http://www.indplastic.com/index.cfm?id=<!id!>&fuseaction=browse&pageid=42

hey everybody, sorry for the late reply, anyways, i’ve begun to create it on auto-cad. still deciding on how to weigh it down, since 3d printer plastics aren’t very dense. any ideas would be appreciated. also, i’m going to post a few pictures of the cad drawing. i’m only making one half for now and am going to copy it and print the other half. still need to decide on some dimentions, such as the gap size. it’s based upon the 888 design. help and opinions are appreciated! i’d post a pic of how it’s going along, but i don’t seem to be able to ??? :stuck_out_tongue: :frowning:

ps. sorry if this is considered necro-ing a post :stuck_out_tongue: