I'm really enjoying my new DV888

No, not at all. The dv888 is nothing like the 888.

3 Likes

Oh ok, my bad,you don’t think it has any similar characteristics at all obviously does not have hubstacks, besides the GT that just came out what do you think is the closest to the original?

1 Like

Well said!

1 Like

It’s a very organic hubstacked yoyo. I don’t really think there is a yoyo close to it.

4 Likes

Bring back the OG 888!

3 Likes

Been throwing my DV888 solidly for the past few days. I really like the solid feel of it on the string. For a small yoyo it has a powerful spin, too.

4 Likes

Alright, here I go… the Dark Magic II sucks worse than the dv888.

2 Likes

Maybe, but which one of those is being sold today, right now?

3 Likes

I strongly believe it would still be sold today. It was sold and advertised with the tag “#1 seller” until they shut their doors. There was a 10 year anniversary addition realised. 50$ until sold out. Tricking many new yoyoers (ME!) Into thinking that was the quality 50$ got you. Causing one new yoyoer into buying a couple of 100$+ yoyos thinking that was the only way to get good quality. (Still talking about me her.) But ok. Worse than the Dark magic II. The Yomega oochyo. Still being sold today and to this day remaines my #1 most disliked yoyo in my collection. Extremely unstable, rubber respons and LOUD! The dv888 is way better than that abomination.

3 Likes

What year was that?

Sold out here, but yeah, I think I got a free one of these as a pack-in once…

2 Likes

It would only have been 4 maybe 5 years ago at most. The caps and I think the rims were a bronze color if I recall. I only remember seeing it here. I didn’t really look at it. I also remember it being just before or after jam closed down because it confused me ; either it being sold or them closing down just after it’s sale. It’s all pretty blurry. But I know it happened.

4 Likes

yoyojam-dark-magic-ii-special-gold-show-900x900

4 Likes

Dec 2014?

3 Likes

Yeah, and it’s says " one the most popular and best selling…" Choice words. On reddit last April 1st someone posted a joke " Coming soon the dark magicIII" then came a bunch of “we can only wish” comments. I commented respectfully my thoughts on the dark magic like here and got many down votes. So when I think about the dv888 I’m ok with it. Mine plays better than the the dark magic and I don’t see any mass unjustified admeration. It’s not tricking anyone. I know this is a lot of " it could be worse" stuff, but if the dv888 is the biggest thing to grill right now I say we got it pretty good. The ooch is worse but it was never popular.

2 Likes

I have both a DV888 and a Dark Magic II and I violently disagree that the DV888 “plays better” than the DM2.

It does not.

That said, I do not dispute in any way that if someone tried to sell you a new DM2 right now today they would be doing a gross disservice to you.

3 Likes

shutters at the thought of receiving a Shutter™ on mail day

2 Likes

I got up and thought to myself that maybe I was getting heated and didn’t realize it. I pulled both out and played with them. The dv888 doesn’t quite feel as good as in my head at that moment but still was completely functional. My DM2 though can’t finger grind. It’s extreme high flat walls makes it so that any force on it’s sides by the string starts putting it off axis easily. Also any string force causes a noticeable slow down. Trying to do rejections also causes these same issues and are unpredictable. These are all things I have had no issue with on the dv888. Personal taste is really in debate because most of the issues are caused by the high flat walls and that kind of design has completely been abandoned. But really what got me here was the idea that one feels the need to shame someone for liking the dv888. Again yoyos must be in a damn good place if the dv is considered bad enough to if I recall “declare war on”

2 Likes

What kills the DV888 for me is that it’s just too small and has terrible weight balance being far too center weighted. They should have a picture of the DV888 next to the dictionary definition of “plays like a brick”.

image image

So yeah, the DM II definitely plays better, it is larger and has much better weight balance being properly rim weighted. Should it be sold today now? Heck no. But then I would say that about the DV888 10 times as much.

I put them on the scale and with string, DV888 is 67.12g and the DMII is 69.70g. Only one of these plays like a tiny dense little brick though, and it ain’t the DM2.

Remember too that any brand new DV888 comes responsive, which is terrifying, you have to buy a bearing kit to convert it, plus it has those super-stick-out-y silicone pads installed by default. You’d need to replace the silicone sticker pads with flush ones (I think it comes with pad replacements?) as well to get a proper responsive. And after doing all that… still plays at best meh, and I’d personally call it a straight up brick.

7 Likes

Ok. Let me clear up something so we are still on the same page. I agree the weight distribution is better on the DM2. I also agree that the dv feels like a brick. Stock the DM2 is better out of the box. I put a center track and slim pads in mine. It really shouldn’t be sold as a beginner yoyo at all.

But the weight distribution means nothing to me because force on the walls still easily knocks it off axis. I do a lot of rejections and tricks the there has to be more forgivenes to that. I incorporate a lot of finger grinds so again DM2 is more of a hinderance. I like small and large yoyos so that means nothing to me. I also enjoy that brick feel and bouncy feel and floaty feel. I like yoyos. The Wimsey rival has that same feel and I love it. I also wouldn’t mind if they both were sold today but I would say 15$ for the DM2 and 20$ for an dv888. 15$ because we have better options in plastic for 20$ The DV can handle my tricks better than the DM.

I also want to make clear I don’t necessarily like the DV. I just find the hate for it extremely over blown.

4 Likes

All this could have so easily been avoided had they made the 888 the beginner metal yo-yo … keep the hub stacks for future upgrades, but put a plastic cover on the nubs to keep the cost down.

3 Likes