I'm really enjoying my new DV888

Just received my DV888 courtesy of @codinghorror.

I was expecting that this would be a terrible yoyo based on his and other’s comments on a recent thread, but… I quite like the yoyo.

Other than the design being rather dated, there really doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with it performance-wise. It has a powerful spin for a yoyo its size and is easy to maneuver.

Thanks, Jeff!

32 Likes

I laughed out loud when I clicked this, lol.

8 Likes

Same! Haha, I’m going to have to get one of these eventually. They are really pretty!

5 Likes

Hi. Are you playing that unresponsive? I am. I like it a lot. Not my favorite but I do enjoy it.

5 Likes

Yeah, I put some slim pads in. Mine has Onedrop 10 ball in it.

6 Likes

It actually feels a bit like the Onedrop Rebirth in play. Nice and solid.

6 Likes

Didn’t I send you another yo-yo with this that’s actually… good?

12 Likes

Yes you did! And I really like it, thank you!

I’m enjoying the DV888 a bit more.

8 Likes

Wait… did you actually say…

4 Likes

@Glenacius_K, what was the other???

2 Likes

I’m sorry but if the dv888 isn’t a bad yoyo then what is? Are the only yoyos that can be considered bad some extreme like the sidekick pro?

To be honest, the people that say the dv888 is a good yoyo will basically say any yoyo is a good yoyo.

I’m with coding on this one for once. I enjoy playing with undersized yoyos such as the dv888 now and then but the dv888 is not a good yoyo.

5 Likes

Ok. Thanks!

5 Likes

An RC X OYY Skater.

3 Likes

I think maybe it depends on your tolerance for Ye Olde Timey Yo-Yos.

I don’t think the DV888 was a particularly great design even in 2009 but it remains firmly anchored in that “early metal designs” area, and it’s undersized as all yo-yos were back then.

3 Likes

I was honestly expecting poo on a string.

I’m as surprised as others here that I like it.

6 Likes

I kinda feel that a similar attitude exists towards the Shutter nowadays. The only people who ought to like it are those nostalgic for outdated, old-timey 2013 designs, or at least that’s the vibe I get. Yet I think it still holds up as a solid throw today, even if nobody is winning contests with it anymore.

4 Likes

The 2013 Shutter was a particularly epic design moment, and it was designed well, unlike the dv888. Radically different situations.

I’d put the Shutter in the “modern classics” category, which is miles away from the department I’d put the DV888 in … :wink:

7 Likes

Obviously the dv888 isn’t utter hot garbage but the fact that the dv888 is probably the worst relevant yoyo on the market today says something. I’d take any relevant $10-$20 plastic that’s on the market nowadays to compete at a contest before the dv888. A few years back when the dv888 wasn’t as old, I would take a $10 YYJ Classic over a dv888 for competition any day.

Like Code said, it wasn’t even particularly great when it was first released. The unique thing about it was it was a $45 metal which was basically unheard of at the time but there were multiple yoyos that were released around the same time that were cheaper but still miles ahead in terms of performance.

2 Likes

To be honest, I am super super bitter that the “real” 888 isn’t kept in production (because it was, and is, awesome) rather than this … thing.

It’s like they named it 888 just to taunt us! :crazy_face:

4 Likes

I’m not surprised that you gave him that…

2 Likes