I'm really enjoying my new DV888

‘Super, super bitter’?

First of all; let’s approach this situation; directly.

You, like in ‘you’ seem to have fallen into a serious rut known as Hyper Focus.

In this instance; your hyper focus is on an inanimate object(a yo-yo).

A yo-yo by definition would be a ‘thing’. But in your bitter state; your use of the word ‘thing’ is being utilized to reduce the yoyos’ potential functionality to an even lower level.

Your efforts to insult the integrity of the DV888 design is misaligned and without merit if you could or would actually recognize the original intent of the design.

When the DV888 was originally released; it sort of shook things up. It was a solid, durable, functional, reasonably priced yoyo; that was intended to appeal to newer players that wanted a metal yoyo. A straight forward and simple design. Two precision discs; an axle and a bearing. Sold with a pad formula resulting in a mildly responsive yoyo.

Basically a utility type learning tool. YYF sold a good number of them. And the people starting their tricks ladder; had a yo-yo that could accomplish what was needed.

Now move ahead several years. Yoyofactory still has the DV888 in their product lineup. And it is just the same yoyo it was. A reasonably priced, mono-metal yoyo that can be just as functional for its’ target buyer. People just new to yoyos and new to metal yoyos and wanting a good playing, solid, not cost a grip; yoyo.

It doesn’t matter how many other Makers are selling ‘higher performance’ yoyos at the same or even lower retail price point.

YYF doesn’t push the sale of DV888’s. They make no Amazing claims about the yoyo.

As I have already mentioned in a previous post; because there are better yoyos at the same or even lower prices; does not demote the yoyo to ‘bad yoyo’.

A very pretty girl you just met; isn’t ugly just because you see several better looking women at the mall later in the day.

…I am not a yo-yo maker. I am a yo-yo modder. But I have made yoyos from scratch just to do it😉. Also; I am not a high level player. And I am not a competitor.

But over the last 20+ years; I have developed a pretty good sense of whether a yo-yo has potential.

I got one of the first DV888 yoyos ever sold. And over time; I have acquired several more. Many yoyos that I have cut up; for example; became experiments because I felt they played ‘funny’. I’ve never even considered carving up a DV888.

And saying you dislike a yo-yo so much; that you would gift it to someone else; does not devalue the yoyo at all. The guy you sent it to; likes it.

Getting wound up about a yo-yo is pointless.

Consider the experienced player has a much better grasp on a yoyos true potential.

And very easy to document. Get a Dead stock DV888. Hand it to me. I will change the bearing and put in different pads to alter the yoyo more unresponsive. And then I will send it to Evan Nagao; and he will shred some tricks with a quickness.

10 Likes

All being said, @codinghorror is still free to dislike the DV888 and state that he dislikes it. I agree with much he has said about it.

I just happen to like it a lot more and enjoy using it. It’s definitely fine for a beginner metal even today.

6 Likes

Sounds reasonable. To have an opinion and exercise the right to speak it.

What I don’t think is reasonable is utilize a degree of negativity in an opinion with the intention of beating down the yoyo to worthless status.

Product bashing is not an opinion.

6 Likes

I guess my feeling is the world would be a bit better place from a yo-yo perspective if the DV888 … the “everyman introductory metal yo-yo”… was a regular 888. Maybe without hubstacks, since those are expensive, I get it. You only need to compare the price of the Confusion GT ($35) and the “888 GT” ($60) to see that – they’re basically identical, except one costs $25 :warning: more and has hubstacks.

The DV888 at its current design, price and positioning does mildly tarnish the YYF brand, in my opinion. Irreparably? No, of course not. It’s a minor detail in the big scheme of things. But details matter :wink:

Just my opinion, of course, but also based on the video by @Tvelto

Number 5. Yoyofactory DV888. That’s right. I’m sorry, I’m gonna get hate for this, but I think the DV888 is … bad. It’s a bad yoyo. I’ll explain why.

I realize it’s outdated, but it’s super outdated and it still costs too much money. The responsive version comes in at $30. It’s small, it’s heavy, and it kinda plays like a rock. And it comes reponsive, which means you’re gonna hurt yourself with it. You’re gonna smash your knuckles, hit yourself in the face, and it’s like hitting yourself in the face with like a 67g piece of lead. It’s just small and dense and responsive, and that’s bad. It’s especially bad because it’s targeted to beginners, and I feel like that’s extra bad for beginners, I feel like you’re pretty likely to hurt yourself with that yoyo as a beginner, and that’s no good. You don’t wanna hurt yourself playing yoyo right off the bat.

The other problem I have is cost. It starts at $30 for the responsive version, but if you want the “upgrade kit” that’s another $10. So you’re already at $40 to “upgrade” your meh yoyo to an unresponsive yoyo that plays … OK. It plays … meh. It plays outdated. And this would all be fine if it was just an old yoyo that had been discontinued but there were still a ton in stock, but they’re still making new colors. A new color came out this year and it costs 5 more dollars!

So for me, number 5 [worst yo-yo] is the YYF DV888. It’s outdated, it needed to be revamped 2 years ago, but they just decided to pump out more colors and bump up the price an extra $5 because “it’s a fun splash”, and they still target it toward beginners, and it’s a bad beginner yoyo in my opinion.

After transcribing that video text I now realize I might have helped you dodge a bullet @Glenacius_K since I think I sent this to you with an unresponsive wide bearing (a $30 + $10 bearing kit + $5 splash value!!).

Heck, why can’t the “everyman introductory metal yo-yo” be the Confusion? That thing is AWESOME! Just drop the DV888 from their catalog like a bad habit and switch on over to the Confusion! I’d argue the 888 (the real 888, like the real slim shady) is a better historical “classic” choice from the YYF catalog, but either one would be infinitely better than the current status quo.

6 Likes

I’m agreeing with almost all you and @Tvelto are saying about this yoyo.

Perhaps if the one you sent me was unresponsive and I played it that way, my opinion on it would be much different. 67g responsive metal really does sound like a recipe for children to speed up the process of losing baby teeth.

Also, it’s a very valid point you raise @codinghorror, that the confusion may be a better beginner yoyo. Its weight and shape are a lot more conducive to learning. The only downside I can see is that it uses a less standard A sized bearing. This probably isn’t that much of a big deal though, because they will likely soon change over to something like a Shutter.

4 Likes

20190120_064110

I love the dv888, it’s the closest thing I’m guessing to the 888, a friend of mine as that it’s an awesome yoyo, he has the 2007 run, did you upgrade to the bigger bearing? I think all the dv888s come with a slim bearing now

3 Likes

Sadly no, in my opinion the actual 888 is a much better yoyo … I wish they still made that instead :cry:

6 Likes

I know, it’s the only one I feel comes ehhh close, but still completely different

1 Like

Mines has a nice bead blasted, quiet, no vibe, for 25 bucks that’s not too bad

5 Likes

Dude, you just disturbed a hornet’s nest but I am happy you enjoy your DV88. It’d an acquired taste.

6 Likes

It’s nothing at all like an 888 other than its round and is a yo-yo.

4 Likes

It’s an acquired taste.

Like 18 day old sushi. : )

3 Likes

I gotta chime in on this! I remember thinking that the DV888 was a big deal when it came out. I remember getting a green hardcoat DV888 in a trade a long time ago. I think I threw an OG concave bearing it in and it was great. So I can’t hate on it. I miss when you would see more undersized designs. :disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved:

5 Likes

Yes, if you look at the reviews and forums on here from a few years ago, the DV888 got rave reviews and it was considered an essential piece to anyone’s collection alongside the YYJ Dark Magic/Dark Magic 2, Speeder, and Hitman. It’s still one of the only metal throws that comes responsive stock. Until more responsive budget metals show up on the market, the DV888 does still fill a specific niche.

You can learn to do most every trick in Andre’s tutorials from the advanced and some in the expert level down with yoyos that date back to the early 2000s. For example: I sometimes enjoy playing with an old YoyoJam SpinFaktor (1999) that I modified to play unresponsive with a shim and a pair of thinner o rings on the rims that I nabbed from my spent Pur water filters.

@44frostedflakes: It’s interesting that you mention missing undersized throws like the DV888. When I was starting to grow my collection in the late 2000s, I remember feeling a bit sleighted when I would buy a yoyo and find it was undersized, but they really grew on me (no pun intended) and now I miss those days too!

3 Likes

If only we owned a “factory” that made “yo-yos” which could satisfy this CRAZY request in some better way … :thinking:

5 Likes

That would be nice, but I think I would only want that if they are lighter than normal unresponsives. Some of the heavier responsive metals from the past like the Custom Yoyo Reactor had the ability to literally break bone if they snapped back too hard and I can see the DV888 having the potential to do the same.

4 Likes

I can’t see myself investing in a DV888, it seems to be the only yoyo that on the whole is universally disliked which seems to be quite rare with yoyos these days

2 Likes

I say this soberly; don’t buy one. There are much better yoyos from Yoyofactory and other brands out there.

I say this as someone who has one and also kinda likes it.

7 Likes

I am assuming you are being sarcastic?

3 Likes

Yes sir apparently I have… :grimacing:

2 Likes