Dv888- what’s the go?

Hey all,

I keep seeing reference to DV888 yo-yos almost with some sarcasm.

What’s the go with this throw? Is it good, bad, ugly?

I just don’t get the references sorry

1 Like

@codinghorror has championed the hatred of this yoyo. People usually use sarcasm in reference to it in order to incite a response from him, because it can be pretty funny.

Its a really old yoyo with an unforgiving setup out of the box. There are also cheaper and far better alternatives. These things make it a pretty undesirable and obsolete yoyo.

2 Likes

Ahhh right… good to see there is some stirring going on… that makes more sense now! Thanks man!

1 Like

If it walks like a rock, and talks like a rock… it’s a rock :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Lol!!!

Here is my story with DV888:

Got it in from Toy Store. Opened the packaging and played the yo-yo right away. 5 minutes later, came back to the store to return it.

Reason:

let’s put this in a nice way:price does not match its performance at all!

1 Like

The dv888 is a unique throw with its own charm. Honestly I’ve always loved it but most people have a love it or hate it relationship. It’s just a metal version of the old dv8 from buzzon and does exactly this.

1 Like

I like it as well too, but I always wanted a DV8 and wasn’t able, and the DV888 was a production version of it basically. I always have one out and about, play it quite a bit. It’s not up to modern “standards”, so to speak, but it’s a fun yo-yo.

2 Likes

I like my DV888 too, including its ‘rock’ feel. It plays pretty nicely with the right setup and has lots of power.

2 Likes

I like it as well. And for what it’s worth it plays a bit better than a dv8. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i have one… it’s my son’s now. i described it somewhere on the site and coding quoted it… but it has a tooth-chipping wrecking ball like quality to it. my son (he’s 8) considers it the snappiest of his yoyos, and i tend to fear for some sort of injury… or cheer for improvement (due to avoidance of an injury)… when he plays with it…

i don’t think it is bad… or as bad as coding thinks… i do think it hates children as much coding thinks though…

3 Likes

It really does hate children. I have no Idea why it is marketed as beginner friendly, the response is brutal.

1 Like

I find this a most fascinating subject with divisive undertones of little merit.

Because Hans and Ben have used the DV888 as a tool for hundreds of kids(and some adults) for successfully learning various tricks.

Since I consider both of them as very good friends. I have gone to various locations and viewed, in person, a number of people spending quality time learning. And zero time whining about the yoyo.
As a matter of fact; I don’t ever remember a single instance of somebody saying they were most likely having equipment related learning difficulties.

I have several of them and they function just fine.

It’s fair to compare the DV888 to other $30 yoyos. I mean, why wouldn’t it be? But I sure would not talk perpetual trash while considering it perhaps doesn’t play as well as ‘more expensive yoyos’.

It’s a good utility yoyo. It has good mono metal functionality. It was Never meant to be a Beast. It was just designed to take a serious beating while learning tricks.

Which it does quite well…

Hans and Ben would be shooting themselves in ‘both feet’ if they intentionally attempted to teach yoyo tricks with a rock. The idea of teaching is to get people into yoyoing. Not to piss them off so they want to quit.

8 Likes

this i will agree with 100%. and was the reason i bought it, and used it… then gave it to my little guy. he could use it responsive, or learn unresponsive… or smash the snot out of it. it is a good utility yoyo. but, we also have a bunch of others too now.

2 Likes

Well written. I have mine set up unresponsive and it’s fine. I have more expensive yoyos that are touted as awesome that I like less. With the exception of some obviously novelty cheapo yoyos I purchased, I tend to not diss any yoyo. If asked for advice by a new yoyoer I may try to steer them towards the yoyos I love the most but…

1 Like

I believe at the time, it would have been the best tool for the job.

Fact: It’s an unbreakable beginner metal yoyo for $30.
The widespread global audience hasn’t caught up to bind return for beginners so the Dv888 is designed for general audience that has an “uncle that knows a few tricks from back in the day.” This current generation will be the pivot to advancing widespread acceptance of bind play…but we’re not quite there yet(soon).
I’ve taught about 10 people to play in my lifetime(per minute). I know exactly what an absolute beginner experience looks like and I have commercialized the best possible solution in the beginner user experience.
Could the Dv888 use an update in the shape or overall design?..We’ll let @codinghorror and @Glenacius_K discuss at their convenience.

12 Likes

Irrefutable facts based on extensive Worldwide experience.

When I speak; I give opinions that could have a basis in fact.

When Hans speaks; he speaks facts that are far removed from general opinion.

It’s his: hobby, his passion, his Business, his livelihood. He doesn’t mess around.

Listen…

6 Likes

Right but there are other $30 metal yo-yos that are superior choices and just as “unbreakable” without playing like a rock … :wink: TopYo comes to mind, even before dipping into the ultra-cheap Shark’s Honor type stuff.

You have indeed @YOHANS, and it’s this.