Dv888- what’s the go?

That’s a big yoyo for small hands.

-Hans

1 Like

Forgive my ignorance- I’m still new- who are Hans and Ben?

Looks like I’ve kicked the hornets nest with this thread :grimacing:

2 Likes

Ben and Hans are the founders of Yoyofactory.

Ahh gotchya- thanks heaps

1 Like

Wow just saw Hans above and checked his profile… THAT Hans!

Lol I feel like an idiot.

I’m liking how these forums have everyone from newbies like me to company founders! That’s pretty cool!

3 Likes

first, @YOHANS i’d like to express my gratitude to you and ben for the contributions and growth you have made to this industry. second, it is greatly appreciated to have you folks’ presence on the boards. third, i started marinating on improvements to the dv888 and will discuss it with my guy. i apologize for my comment not being as constructive as it could have been.

regarding your quoted comment above, i would like to humbly disagree. i think we are there and have been there for a while… possibly with the prior generation? the current generation (of kids, mind you) is all over ig, fb, etc on binding throws. but i do feel there is a growing opportunity that is being passed over, if not stifled, by the advancement of bind play - modern responsive.

granted you get a couple slim lines here and there, a $300 show stopper, some $50-$60 pieces… in a market that is flooded with $70-$150 unresponsive pieces. tons of them! dropping all the time! spending enough time on the board, you realize cats are interested in responsive… or surely you will end up interested in responsive. why? the same reasons people go to all the other As… something different, it helps with other skills, variety, saw someone else, old skool, etc.

@EOS44 made a comment on here on one day, to summarize, “… if i play responsive i’m just grabbing a wood throw. if i’m playing unresponsive i’m grabbing a metal throw.” and i thought to myself, that is the silliest thing i ever heard on here. we have one of the best modern responsive players in the world on this board, and he can’t get a modern responsive metal that screams at him? and, the latter - considering we have some of the best modders in the world on the board as well? instead, are we just going to put a third or fourth metal onto a ‘performance’ yoyo? people pay $80 for a non-precision (or as much as you can with wood) fixed wood yoyo, how about a precision responsive? is it just me?

how does that all tie into the dv888? that may be a cheap place to start, i don’t know. but, that’s all been bouncing in my head for a bit. and this all culminated here…

this wasn’t a critique on yyf btw. i know yye isn’t a representative sample of the entire yoyo playfield. but, we responsive players are out there. and, we do like other things besides wood… or dropping $300 when something does finally come up.

thanks for everything, including your ear.

2 Likes

Hans and Ben’s Ice Cream. Try the Yoyolicios Strawberry. It’s awesome.

Have you considered that wood may be the perfect material for a responsive yoyo?

Metal isn’t better for everything.

5 Likes

it’s my least favorite yo-yo in a dead tie with every other yo-yo factory

1 Like

without select attributes that you can equally compare and collect empirical data on, that statement can only be made subjectively.

1 Like

As with everything else discussed here.

Certainly my favourite material for responsive is wood.

2 Likes

see… and mine, of all time honestly, is my theodore. i have several other metal responsives (and had), same with wood. but, for me anyway, i enjoy a solid metal responsive. and, what i think is real cool, is cats in here trying to jam those up, seemingly with more frequency as of late, with a bearing blank - of some sort even.

Is it though? I don’t think small hands should be using metal yo-yos in general… let’s see though when comparing the $27 Colossus V versus the $30 DV888:

54mm vs 50mm diameter (-10% diff)
54mm vs 40.5mm width (-25% diff)
65.5g vs 67g weight (+3% diff)

Mostly, it is very narrow is my primary reaction.

Weight… here’s the kicker… SIXTY SEVEN FRICKIN GRAMS for the dv888… maybe that’s why it plays like a rock? It’s small and heavy!

ftr, i am playing my (kiddo’s) dv888 right now, and told him i’d be soliciting feedback from him later…

1 Like

I literally got some old Proyos today and see Han’s face on the back with no clue who he is. Check this thread and realize who he is. Had a chuckle.

2 Likes

Ya don’t say

3 Likes

I have it set up for unresponsive and only use when I’m going somewhere where I don’t want to mess another yoyo up. I personally don’t like it all.

1 Like

Yeah I think so. I tried teaching a couple kids once with my Gnarwhal 2 once, 53mm and they told me right away that it was too big. The next day I brought DV888’s and they thought it was “much better. They were 8 and 10.

But at the same time, I’ve taught with a Butterfly, which is a larger diameter but narrower. And there were no complaints. So it’s probably relative to diameter/width.

In the end, I trust Hans and Ben’s decades of not only playing and teaching experience, but design as well :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

That is an altogether different argument. Teach responsive play using a spinstar, that’s totes fine!

Note that the DV888 doesn’t come set up for unresponsive and has really bizarre 2001 era design characteristics (I mean in addition to its extreme weight, weird shape, narrowness and rock-osity), with pads that stick way the heck out, etc. Have you used one recently? I have. It is an abomination.

I too trust Hans, but only for the recently designed stuff, not for designs that haven’t changed in 20 years and are inexplicably still sold to unsuspecting consumers for … reasons … :wink:

2 Likes

Well it’s a BuzzOn DV8 in metal, so yeah it’s an older design.

Yes, I actually play mine quite a bit. Yesterday was the last time I used it. My main one is unresponsive, but the responsive isn’t horrible. If compared to a DeepState, 650b, weekender yeah it wouldn’t be good. But it’s good as a beginner yo-yo IMO. I’ve used them a lot and have never had a complaint from anyone. Looking at it through the lens as someone that’s played for awhile is different than looking a it through the eyes of a beginner.

Also, if YYF does their B Grade sale next month again, I’ll be picking more DV888’s up :grin:

3 Likes