Why does dv888 get rereleased so much?

Just a question I’ve always wondered. I threw one once and…… not for me. Do people actually be buying these things on repeat for color ways or what?

2 Likes

It’s a 20 year old design at this point.

Its a good beginners yoyo. Small diameter for small hands, heavy to compensate for a beginners week throw. It allows a new player to just basically drop it and perform a string mount. That is also why they come responsive. Now the hate comes from experience players who try and throw heaters with them and have it come back with some punch unexpectedly. :facepunch:

6 Likes

I guessing, but here I go.

I think it’s a matter of price. For both Yoyofactory and Retailers.

Yoyofactory probably got or had a great deal when manufactured, now with finger spin/DNA being popular, it probably didn’t take much to design the inserts. Rebranding toys is common.

Retailers ( Boutique toy shop ) who try to have a high endish clients, know a Duncan Imperial/Butterfly won’t cut it. But after a search they see more 1A winners using Yoyofactory over Duncan. Then back to the above it might be cheaper to the bottom line to get dv888’s in your toy store.

Right or wrong, it probably has something to do with $$$.

1 Like

To spite @codinghorror

It’s also heavily marketed to new throwers. Myself included. I didn’t know to look anywhere else than the Mart Mart and Momazon so that’s what I wound up with starting out.

1 Like

I’d get an iYoYo Passion over the dv888 any day. Also includes both bearings. I read on here something about it being the only metal yoyo that is some kind of approved safety wise to sell in retail stores or something? I forget the exact details but it’s something like that.

3 Likes

Never thought the rock at end of string thing was a wanted thing but I guess for a beginner it makes sense lol

2 Likes

They look cheap to make that’s for sure lol

I feel bad that was your first metal but maybe it made you a better player lol

Yeah all the beginner options these days are so good in comparison. Imo it doesn’t even have the charm something like the dark magic had. If only those were still around in droves

Sometimes I like to play with a rock on a string …