Is a DV888, Replay Pro, and Shutter a good well rounded starter kit?

Coming from a Yomega fireball from years ago, my son wanted a yoyo so I am teaching him basic stuff and I’m trying to learn non-responsive yoyo tricks.

I bought a DV888 for Christmas, swapped out bearings to the centertrak yesterday to make it non-responsive, and just bought a replay pro and shutter premium. I have been working on trapeze and binds and finally am getting into a groove on the binds, able to repeat it consistently. But the DV888 has a serious vibe and shorter sleep time, kind of holding me back a little.

I already feel like the DV888 is too small for me, a little difficult to catch, only getting it about 50% of the time. Its noticeably smaller than the old fireball. Is this normal, and I’m just developing a preference, or as I get more skilled will I be fine with the size?

Any other yoyos you guys would recommend a learning thrower should check out for ease of use?

My first metal was the dv888 and i loved it, i still do, but you’re right its a little small if you have big hands. I got a replay pro for Christmas and the thing is awesome. As long as you get your binds down i feel like the replay will take you anywhere you want to go.

The replay pro and shutter are definitely some of the better yoyos to start getting into unresponsive intermediate and advanced tricks. The replay pro in particular is wonderful for learning binds on due to the plastic being less rough on the hands than a fully metal yoyo. Messing up a bind on the replay pro is much more forgiving than on the shutter :P. The shutter is also a good learning yoyo for string tricks due to it’s wide gap, making it easier to land the yoyo on the string when doing hops, or even learning the trapeze. Also because of it’s inner ring, it’s cool to start grinding with it as well. Unless something’s wrong with the bearing, the shutter is also really unresponsive so it has a low chance of biting you unexpectedly when learning tricks as well. is So yes, I think you made a good choice, and if you’re looking for yet another yoyo I would recommend the Dark Magic II, which like the dv888 can use a thin or wide bearing, but is also plastic based with metal rings as a step in between a full plastic or full metal throw.

Due to it’s small size I mainly use my dv888 for 5a but I think it’s still a fun yoyo in general. It is harder to use as a learning/practicing yoyo due to it’s small gap and lower stability, but the dv888 can really move fast and is fun for tricks that maybe you’re more comfortable with.

Hope this helps!

I have never played with a DV888 so I can’t comment on that. But right now, the only yoyos I play with are my Replay Pro and my Shutters. They are great yoyos for anyone (beginners and advanced players) who can consistently bind.

I think your main problem is not that what you have is not Too Hot. It’s what you don’t have that is not Too Hot.

So if you seriously feel not that Hot about what you got. Then I would suggest the next thing you bought will be the best thing you’ve got of the lot.

So if you wanna play hot and so far you don’t like that you’re not… Get a Too Hot.

A Too Hot will fill that slot of something amazing you have not yet got.

The Yoyofactory Too Hot is an Outstanding example of Price/performance/versatility/feels/looks/spin time/etc.

Most of the Serious Yoyo Makers ‘all’ have very good yoyos at a similar price point.

But the YYF Too Hot is an excellent choice and will economically help solve the ‘landing’ problems you are having.

I have yoyos costing up to 12 times more than a Too Hot. They don’t play any better for me

Get a Too Hot.

It will increase your level of Enthusiasm dramatically at your stage of learning.

PS(regardless of what I stated above; you have to consider a relative factor. No matter how wiiiiide or narrow a yoyo is… No matter what shape a yoyo is[classic, v shape, h shape, etc.] the center of the yoyo is Constant. It’s right in the Middle of yoyo. So landing or not being able to land a Trapeze is more a matter of ‘string/gap alignment’ and has little to do with factors other than that. Once both hands synchronize with your mind to facilitate proper alignment; the width or shape or bearing size have little meaning.

…kinda like the old 'extend your arms to your sides. Index fingers extended. Close your eyes. Now with eyes completely closed, bring your index fingers in towards your face in a round sweeping motion. And try to land the very tips of both fingers directly on the tip of your nose. <Sounds easy enough but you would be surprised at how many people completely miss their nose. But your nose hasn’t moved a bit. It is exactly where it usually is. The middle of your face, kinda, lol. You just have to train your mind/fingers to find it consistently.

…just like finding your nose, once you mentally lock in a Trapeze mount; you will have it ‘Wired’ for life.)

Get a Too Hot… The shortest road to Nirvana.

1 Like

Hey yoyodoc, what do you think of the Too Hot???

Thanks guys, excellent info!

The DV888 is a nice yoyo, but as you’ve noticed, it is certainly smaller. I accidentally slammed mine against a tile floor (longer string than I thought) and I also got a lot of vibe. I bought a new axle (really inexpensive) and it fixed that right up.

The Shutter is an excellent yoyo, it was my first metal yoyo.

The replay Pro is so good that it will make you wonder why you spent the money on a Shutter. ;D

As others have mentioned, the TOO H.O.T. is somehow a level above all 3 of these. I love my TOO HOT. But the 3 you have are all incredible yoyos and I don’t think you’ll have any problem learning on any of them. But look into getting a new axle for the DV888.

Well, I will have to give that some serious thought.

I will get back to you before next summer most likely.

No use hastily jumping to conclusions…

1 Like

The dv888 has had a bad vibe since first throw, is it possibly it was wonky when I got it new?

Also, what am I doing wrong to get a lean on my sleepers? Or is that related to the vibe in the dv888?
I bought my son a cheap Duncan for Christmas and out of the box it throws smoother and straighter than the dv888, crazy

If you can throw your Replay Pro and Shutter and they’re spinning just fine without any of the problems the DV888 is having, I’d wonder if the yoyo is the problem, especially since you said you switched out bearings and stuff, just make sure everything is set up properly- like if the bearing is properly seated, if the axle is bent or not. I doubt the yoyo is a fluke though… sometimes it takes some getting used to throwing those undersized yoyos especially if you’re coming from something bigger. One surefire way to test if a yoyo has vibe or not is to throw the yoyo and run your fingernail on the rim- if the vibe continues, even after coming in contact with your finger, it has vibe; if it stops once it comes in contact with your finger, it means the vibe is a result of how you throw. Keep throwing and keep learning and if the problem still persists, contact YYF or YYE about taking steps for a replacement/fix.