Fixed Axle Friday Throws

Yeah I recently got a legend wing yo-yo and I can’t stop putting it down !!! I gotta say I really like this style of play it really gets you hooked on those stalls especially trapeze stalls I love experimenting with that trick !!! and I’m actually starting to progress in 0a. Yesterday was the first time I landed that trick where you first land in a trapeze stall and then flip the yo-yo loop attached to your non-throw hand and catch it back again in midair (pls tell me the name of this trick cause I have no idea what it’s called :sweat_smile:). And that felt SUPER satisfying to land !!! I’m really looking forward to buying my first serious fixie or 0a yo-yo in the future.

12 Likes

You landed a Kick Flip. Congrats! That’s very cool element…i can only land it 1 in 20 attempts.

5 Likes

Fantastic! My plane-keeping with a wood is so far down the road what you did seems magical to me.

3 Likes

Thanks I really appreciate it can’t wait to do more tricks in the future :grin: so it’s called a kick flip cool name !!! I can nail one once every 10 tries or so :wink:

4 Likes

I’m no stranger to playing Fixed Axle Blanks. So I had to give @jeduardo 's Zero Gravity El MiJo a go. I just got this one and so far I’ve only played it with the D bearing blank and it can get around the corners without to much push compared to the larger C-bearing blanks. At first I played it on some Kitty Owen Ekblad’s to break in the pads, then I switched to a piece of Zipline [kot-n] for more response before settling into some Yellow Slick-6 50/50 which gives a little more kick too the spin but plenty of grip for on demand response. At 57 grams it weights as much on a scale as the OG Alley Cat, but it’s hollow construction doesn’t make it feel of play that heavy and feels right in the pocket for my style. The Finger Spin Dimples and the blast finish make it one of my better pull start responsive, as this becomes a newer trend I have also been experimenting more with these style of tricks and the profile shape really helps keep the string in check. As far as 0A goes this one if very capable in the Fixed Blank set up and is very comfortable to play. So far I’m really impressed.

21 Likes

I was so pleased in reading this review @Exmime. Thanks for doing that!

Keeping the string in check was indeed one of our main objectives through the design of the walls and the concave shape of the blank bearing.

6 Likes

Nice writeup! Got mine Monday, have been mostly playing with the blank bearing setup and I’m definitely grooving with it. You’re right it’s really suited for pull starts with the finish and concave area around the dimple; after some practice it feels like my fingers just naturally slide into it.

I switched from the Legit string it came with to kitty fat and the response was lacking. Put some thick lube on it fully expecting it to not do anything significant and it perked up right away. Cleaned it today and played without and I can definitely notice a difference.

3 Likes

hey @mistakenbigfoot! Thanks for your note as well. One of the things we loved about El MiJo was the smooth finish and comfortability.

Just for fun, we applied one or two drops of thin lube (rather than think lube) to the slim bearing and we noticed greater spinning time in responsive mode yet still being able to bind easily. Of course, if you use thick lube you will get better response :wink:

6 Likes

Couldnt resist snagging a black Mijo today, cant wait to rip it fixie style

5 Likes

Help me design the best wood fixed axle.

Picked up some cherry and hickory.

What should I make? What would you like? Or, what kind of wood yo-yo have you always wished someone would make?
Maybe I can make it?

7 Likes

I would get excited for a one piece Oak Butterfly Clone that is just a few % larger in diameter

7 Likes

Is the Slick-6 thicker or coarser than the kot-n string? I tried kot-n on mine with the blank bearing and while it’s pretty good, an even quicker response would be nice. I might try double wrapping it

2 Likes

The Yellow is coarser but White Slick-6 is softer than [kot-n]. Slick-6 also has a looser tension so it plays a little more open as well. The Poly strans give it the low friction on the axle and some whippyness, but the cotton let’s it also hook up on the pads. I have found that for these hybrids, a hybrid string usually works well. I also use them on some of my bearing responsives and older unresponsives that use Dif-E-Yo style pads. Compared to [kot-n] they are also really cheap. Only $4.99 for a 25 pack compared to $6 for 3.

3 Likes

I don’t have any Slick-6 around, but I did have some 100% Cotton YoYoExpert string. I cranked up the string tension, and it’s responding more how I prefer, but without a good open loop for flips. I might have to try increased tension with the [kot-n] as well.
Double wrapping the end loop made it too responsive, by the way, unless you want instant return.

3 Likes

Thanks for your support @bheinz63!!! Hope you really like it!

2 Likes

Just tried the slim D bearing on the El Mijo with generous silicone grease, and it’s exactly what I was looking for. I’ll go back and play around with the bearing blank and different string combos, but this greased thin bearing is great!

6 Likes

Glad to hear that @Eric_Newlin ! Hope you also like to play it in the fixed axle mode with the blank bearing.

2 Likes

Another question about ‘what trick did I land’. So, I like kickflips, so what if I were to kickflip from the brother mount? Ive landed it a couple of times, and it is a great added difficulty to a regular kickflip and feels/looks dope. But, what do you call it?

3 Likes

I always call it a brother flip, not sure if I’m right but the kick flip > brother flip combo feels so good

4 Likes

Its a Bro Flip. A Hydrogen Flip if you start from a Hydrogen Stall.

12 Likes