Bearing Blanks

Just wanted to thank @YoYoExpertGarrett for the Bearing Blanks. I notice @Mystik got a few as well in the mail. For all of you that were getting a few Bearing Blanks to try out, this can be the thread to keep track of our thoughts and share our experiences all in one place. Just searching the forums, Bearing Blanks have been an ongoing topic within threads but does’t have a home.

Here are the ones I just received from @YoYoExpertGarrett;

• 1/2 Spec C Maple
  • 1/2 Spec C Acrylic
  • D size Maple Blank
  • 2 A size Maple Blanks

I also already have a Lufverk Bearing Blank and a Duncan C Blank from a 2016 Wheels

I’m looking forward to hearing everyone’s thoughts and especially your yo-yo choices to experiment with the blanks in. Please share photos of how they fit in the bearing seats. Should be fun…

13 Likes

Excellent! Looks like I’m kitted out the same, minus the D and blank from the Wheels. I’ve mixed emotions on the luftverk blank, but for the most part it does the job. Very much looking forward to playing the new pieces @YoYoExpertGarrett was so cool to drop on us.:sunglasses:

3 Likes

Here’s what I’ve been using the previous blank on:

Duncan Metal Drifter XL
Luftverk bearing blank

Even though it’s organic, it’s oversized state gives it nice high walls I can kickflips from. It feels comical but my gimmicky.:wink: Down side of this blank is how quickly spin reduces in time. Not gonna get a great sleep out of it IMO.

4 Likes

I’ve had the Lufverk Bearing blank ever since I got my XP 55 Alpina last year. It definitely turns that Yo-Yo into an 0A staller, but you have to give it some gas in the throw to get around the corner on Double or Nothing stalls. Threw this set up a bunch last Fixed Axle Friday and at 64 grams my arm needed a break by Saturday.

7 Likes

Looking forward to seeing what you guys are using them on and how you like them! If they turn out to be popular enough we could probably start selling them and make some different thicknesses and wood types.

I’ve found that YoYoJam models are pretty perfect for the C blanks since most of them have a low bearing post to fit a half spec already.

5 Likes

So I’m at work, and there’s this random part here I’ve been holding onto do weeks.

I think it’s a plastic washer for the CO2 canister.
:thinking:

2 Likes

how did you guys score these?

3 Likes

@YoYoExpertGarrett was so kind enough to offer them up last week on Fixed Axle Friday Throws

3 Likes

H O W did I miss that! And I was looking for bearing blanks at the time too, smh

2 Likes

I’m sorry to impose on anyone, but I don’t have a functioning scale at the moment. If you do have a scale, would you mind listing the mass for each bearing blank, along with the mass of the SS bearing you’re replacing with the blank?

Thanks!

2 Likes

I hope mine arrives tomorrow! I believe I’m getting a C blank.

2 Likes

I remember when this was called transaxle technology. Good times.

6 Likes

Kk bearing 1.86 g

Acrylic .28 g

C .23 g (darker)

C .24 g (lighter, no print)

A .12g (darker)

A .13g (darker)

I’m not great at identifying type of materials. Both A blanks appear to be the same material though

4 Likes

Luftverk. .77g

4 Likes

Thanks @Mystik!

1 Like

I thought they were all only wooden, I see that one is alu.
Very nice.

2 Likes

One is acrylic . the luftverk is TI I believe- but could be mistaken

Which wood is which is not my strong suit though.

1 Like

We made widgets like these out of cubic zirconia and garnet, $$$$ good times. Garnet was my fav. Those toys paved the way to the Rocket widget today. You know the only material we didn’t try was plain glass, hmmmm that could work.

2 Likes

A big thanks to @YoYoExpertGarrett for letting me test these out. I’m having a lot of fun in the process! I tried a wood A blank first in a Doc Pop Weekender. As I worked the original ball bearing off the bearing post with a pair of pliers I worried I might have to destroy the blank once I decided to remove it in the future. Fortunately, Garrett made the blanks so that they sit loosely on the post, which was a big relief. The play was so much fun. I’ve been playing the Weekender a lot, and I found I had to tweak my form a bit, but I felt right at home with the new feel in a hurry. There was of course an expected reduction in spin time, but it still spinned slightly longer than my best spinning wood fixie. I believe the A blanks are a natural fit for any of the A bearing responsive yoyos that are out right now. The C blanks need to be more selectively used to get the most out of the yoyo. If you’ve ever had an axle knot in a wide unresponsive yoyo, and continued to play with it doing stalls, etc., you basically know how this feels. It’s interesting at first to do stall based tricks on a really wide unresponsive yoyo, but the yoyo is very unstable when stalled, and the feel is weird to me. I did have fun with an RCS DUCC prototype I have that is only 38 mm wide and on the light side. I don’t have an unresponsive slimline, but I imagine the C blanks would shine in something like the PDX Phidias.

You guys could definitely sell these. Great job Garrett, and thanks again. Please let me know if you have any questions.

5 Likes

Be careful not to over tighten these wooden blanks lol.

11 Likes