Fixed Axle Friday Throws

Both the SF No Jives and the BC ones went through phases, so it’s a tricky question. But the model definitely hit its stride in the early/mid-80’s and after the move to the east coast it changed subtly. The SF gaps are better imo (at least I’m classic mode) and I agree the wood feels better. The outer hub on BCs flattens out a little lower which gives them a rounder more bulbous feel. I don’t feel that one is really better than the other in terms of butterfly/“camel” mode. Laser etching is typically deeper on the earlier models.

That said I’ve done most of my best No Jive throwing on BC era stuff because it was easy to come by. And you get some from Brad’s time (the unfinished “Chuck Short” model stands out) which really do play phenomenally.

Also remember that regardless of where it came from the axle sleeve can make or break a No Jive. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

9 Likes

Yessir!!!

Work fuel

10 Likes

Still been throwing my Spinworthy Harbinger and PockeHt a lot this week. But today I’m going back in time as I was inspired by this week’s List of TMBRs thread. Watching @colinleland promo videos playing the original Irving is another take on what fixed axle yo-yoing can be. My original Maple TMBR Irving weights in at 42 Grams and there is nothing wrong with light fixed axle yoyos. Wood is just good :+1:

15 Likes

What’s the small hole next to the axle for? Picking knots?

5 Likes

Yep, it’s also one of the four response holes. The knot hole is only on one side of the original Irving . That is why the 2019 Irving also has that little hole, a homage to the original.

8 Likes

This old beauty today

10 Likes

Nice espresso setup! Is there something about fixie players and liking espresso?:

I’m playing a maple PockeHt until my Spectraply one gets delivered. Mainly working on these fakie regens from Bandalores.

15 Likes

That, my friend is an absolutely gorgeous, and, I think by base color, long lived espresso machine! I do believe there is something about manually pulling your shot that is attractive to those of us who enjoy a yoyo without a bearing

That fakie regen is likely to keep me busy for some time. Thank you for bringing that trick to my attention.

5 Likes

PockeHt with TMBR counterweight

PS: anyone know where I can find some 5A fixed axle tutorials?

16 Likes

@DocPop has a 5.0A playlist on the Tube;

8 Likes

Happy Friday fellow throwers!
Putting my cherry PockeHt through its paces as well as its beautiful spectra sibling. Both incredible

16 Likes

Eh, i have to jump on this train.

15 Likes

You’re welcome! I always find something new when looking at the Bandalores account… I’ve landed a couple of the regens and the feel from doing so is that zen we all want. Sooo fun!

I searched for a while before finding this color machine. I think it’s from the mid 80s, it definitely looks the part. It can be hard to dial in, but is worth it when you get that great shot!

Those other Spectra colors make me want more sooooo bad. Dangit!

2 Likes

:honeybee::raised_hands:t3::honeybee::raised_hands:t3::honeybee:

18 Likes

I’m glad you still throw your Harbinger from time to time, @Exmime. I like it as a trusty, solid staple throw.

Juat made a maple one actually.

15 Likes

Clean.

4 Likes

I made this last week for my daughter. I broke my last cotton string, but it is a great looper. IMG_20210111_180252|375x500

5 Likes

Not sure why that Pic did not display.

22 Likes

Throwing the PockeHt. Made a video of a fixed axle trick I came up with. Enjoy.

Edit: just realized I posted this same trick back in October. Anywho here it is again I guess.

12 Likes