Fixed Axle Friday Throws

eHknown

18 Likes

Your kid seems to be very used to you yoyoing - barely noticed you! Nice moves!

3 Likes

Solid dad reflexes!

6 Likes

First Fixed Friday 2021

14 Likes

Been playing this maple TMBR PockeHt for most of the week on a Zipline Kot-n. However I regluded this 52g Spinworthy Harbinger last night and its playing great this New Years day on some YYE Type-10. Close to hitting Spirt Bomb, 2021 goals.

15 Likes

Great idea, might try this too!

Good luck!

5 Likes

About a year ago, I discovered the world of 0a modern fixed axle and thought it was really interesting. I really enjoyed watching the videos of Kyle Nations, @edhaponik, @gcoomans, @EOS44, and others especially throughout Fixed-Axle February.

A year later I’ve found I mostly played fixies instead of my 1a yoyos, and I’ve collected quite a few awesome fixie throws. Thanks to awesome craftspeople like @Glenacius_K and Colin at TMBR for the amazing yoyos you’re turning.

27 Likes

One of the sadly small number of good things about 2020 was having this cheery fellow to throw. Figured I’d start 2021 the same way.

14 Likes

14 Likes

Judging by your Spinworthy to TMBR ratio, it looks like I may have a fan! YES!!

That’s one more to me!

Spinworthy fans - 5
TMBR fans - 689,762

I’m catching up!

10 Likes

Beautiful collection :pray::yo-yo:

3 Likes

I’ve always felt that the gap on these is too small making it hard to loop well. Other than that I like the way it feels in the hand and on the string.

9 Likes

@edhaponik probably has the best developed opinion on this, but I’m happy to share my take. I’ve been throwing for 35+ years and got my first No Jive 3-in-1 back in 1987. I’ve always had an affinity for TK throws and over the years I’ve amassed a pretty sizable collection with over 60 3-in-1s; about half of with are SF era and half are BC era. Personally, I prefer the SF era throws (with a few exceptions) because the yo-yo feels better than the BC era throws. The softer transition is only part of the reason; I think that the SF era throws have a better wood supplier. The few BC 3-in-1s I own that are not painted just do not feel as solid in my hand; the wood feels lighter and softer. The painted models don’t have this issue which makes me suspect that the BC wood choices were more about being best for paint rather than being best for feel.

The exceptions to the SF era for me include the laminated 3-in-1s from BC. Those laminated throws are heavier and feel very solid in the hand. However, they often need response stickers, so comparing them to SF era throws isn’t apples to apples.

While the SF era throws are certainly worth the attention they get, both the SF and BC era 3-in-1s are exceptional. The engraving and limited runs of the BC era make those 3-in-1s just as exciting and beautiful.

4 Likes

I only have 3 Spinworthy’s, but just one TMBR (1 No Jive and 1 BC Apollo)

3 Likes

Would you believe thats more Spinworthys than I have? :joy:

4 Likes

The laminated versions always have felt too heavy to me. Never tried the SF era models. BC era only.

2 Likes

That just proves you are disciplined enough to know you need to sell Spinworthys to be able to fund making more…

2 Likes

This is super interesting to read; thanks for sharing your thoughtful observations! I will have to try one of the painted BC 3-in-1s sometime.

Also I feel extraordinarily lucky that I was able to find an SF era 3-in-1 off of eBay in 2020! I haven’t seen one again in months!

2 Likes

There are a few SF era No Jives on eBay currently; a mandala and two A&Fs (maybe the Smo-Bro too). I’ve picked up a few different SF models in the past couple of months including a few in the Patent Pending box, but they’re getting pricy.

3 Likes

Pricey for sure! I also would feel funny buying one in a box just to play with it. The boxed ones feel like they’re more for sitting in a collection

1 Like