General Yoyo Thoughts

Tell me if this topic is stupid or not, but I think it will promote some casual discussion about daily yoyo thoughts.

Just post your experience with the yoyo that you are having today.

For example, today I was playing around with a yoyo that I strung up extra long to be able to do the double or nothing Kwyjibo a week or so back. And im really liking the long string! I usually use the string length that is a full size Zipline (no cutting, make the knot at the end). I dont know how long Lifeline strings are, but I used a full length one of those - I think they are longer than regular Kitty. I find that I am able to nail tricks much easier with the long string, and slack tricks become easier to hit as well. I get not going too long with string when you are a beginner, but once you arent slamming your yoyo into the ground the longer string length is just nice.

25 Likes

Are you taller than normal Eternal?
I’ll have to try a long string out here soon.

I like this topic idea :slight_smile:

Today I received a One Drop Kuntosh 5000QV in the mail.
I’m not blown away with it…but at the same time I know it’s going to become one of my regular goto’s. I played it as is for a solid hour here…but I’m going to replace the flat bearing for a yyf center track.
Also…it’s not nearly as snappy with binds as I like. Think I’ll either silicone it, or try out some YYF pads I have.

4 Likes

Do any of you have a yo in your collection that performs so well in the ways you like…that it makes all of your other throws less exciting? Like nothing quite captures the magic of that one yo in your collection?

I feel like that’s what my Banshee has done lol.

4 Likes

Im 6’0, so kinda (ok, google says average is 5’9", so yes). For me im talking about sternum height with the extra long. Ive seen kids throwing chin height level string, but I don’t know if I could handle that.

3 Likes

I’ll have to make sure to use one of my magicyoyos when I try a longer string. I’m afraid I’ll keep slamming the yo into the ground as I adjust to the increased length haha.

4 Likes

Yea, but it kind of changes based on the feel I want. If I were to name my king all-rounder (I say no to finger spins and thumb grinds, so this is no consideration), it would have to be my MFD Conspiracy. Something intangible about this yoyo just speaks to my regular “practice” style. It is competition-y enough to perform, but has a feel on the string that just resonates with me (im beginning to become organo-obsessed, so im all about them feels). Fits like a glove in my hand.

I have a Banshee btw and I like it a lot. It aint an AL-7, but its a pretty good yoyo. I might need to change the pads on it though, because it binds like a wet noodle. Might be my best performing mono-metal sans the VTWO.

5 Likes

I used to play with long string but have shortened it over the years.

The shorter string is just more accommodating for my style.

6 Likes

Makes sense, you are a speed player right? I play more like @Damb, except less slacks. I like chill play and accentuating movement. Long string is just perfect for it.

4 Likes

A speed player without the speed yes :joy:

I like to do a lot of whips like Damb too but I find that easier with shorter string too

11 Likes

Not just one, no. Several, sure.

For monometals, I measure everything against the VTWO and the Top Deck. For bi-metals, I measure everything against the Hummingbird and the Surveillance. I have many others that come very, very close to those, but don’t quite equal or exceed them.

7 Likes

How short is “short” to you though? My standard length is a full Zipline, and it is barely two inches above my belly button. I got big hands too, so maybe that changes things.

3 Likes

I dont have a Top Deck, but performance-wise the VTWO is as best as they come in my experience. As far as exciting throws go however, I got some organics that feel excellent, but don’t exactly “perform”.

2 Likes

I’m out of fresh zipline so I can’t say exactly but I definitely cut several inches off of those.

I’m 5’6 and use string an inch below my below button

2 Likes

Damn, you really do go short. What makes you do it?

3 Likes

More control, easier to go faster, horizontal is significantly easier

4 Likes

I used to play with a little longer string, but after a couple of bad floor bangs shortened up a little to belly button height. After some time I find I don’t like it, and am going back to a little longer. (And probably more bangs…)

4 Likes

I need to go easy on the yo-yo grind for a little, my right shoulder is suffering

4 Likes

Wow! Just dropped a YYF center track bearing into this beast and switched over to a new zipline string…and it’s a whole new yo!
Same thing happened when I put a concave into my Legendary Terrarian!
I would’ve thought the center track would’ve made binds even slippier…maybe it’s just the string? It’s a LOT more snappy now though and much closer to where I like my yos to be.
Can’t wait to play with this bad boy for the next few days!!

8 Likes

I also had to replace flat bearings in two different yoyos before I realized that putting a centering bearing into any and every yoyo I get (especially One Drops) makes them profoundly better for me. In addition, I don’t use the strings that come with yoyos. I don’t leave these critical things to chance.

10 Likes

The string is really a big difference maker. I think any comparisons someone makes between yo-yos should be using the same string, as well as the same type of bearing.

4 Likes