Fixed Axle Friday Throws

Some of you purest may call out blasphemy, but I’ve been having to much fun all week with this set up that I had to share it on the this #fixedaxlefriday. Technically this could be considered a Transaxle but it doesn’t behave like a Yomega Fireball requiring a double axle loop. Duncan released a new version of the Wheels Long Spin back in 2016 with a plastic size C bearing sleeve. I happen to have two @docpop Bolt 2s one set up unresponsive and the other responsive with a 1/2 spec C. The Duncan bearing sleave is actually 1mm wider than the 1/2 spec C. I put the bearing sleave into my Bolt 2 giving it a nice 2 dime gap laced up with some @MattB YYSL Type X white string and now this is super stall modern responsive machine. With the halfs tighten the sleeve doesn’t spin and the Bolt is now really quite and super smooth with poly on a plastic axle with just a normal loop. This set up it sheds a gram or so weighing in at 63grams but the weight distribution makes it feel lighter than some of my woods at similar weights. The Duncan plastic axle sleeve also has a recessed groove making the axle diameter smaller by a couple millimeters from 12.7mm down to 10.6mm giving the yoyo a little bit more of a higher wall. Anyone else out there like to use sleeves to convert their ball bearing yoyos for fixed axle play?

Full Flat C / Duncan C Sleeve / 1/2 Spec C

Bolt 2 Gap compared to a Duncan Butterfly

7 Likes

I’m digging the feel of Poly on Plastic. Mlm

3 Likes

Woah! First time I’ve seen/heard of these. Does anyone know if these can be bought separate?

5 Likes

I haven’t seen them as an accessory option. But the Wheels are really cheap. Mine came in a pack with a ProYo from a big box toy store for under $10.
http://www.yoyomuseum.com/museum_view.php?action=view&subaction=exhibit&exhibitid=3073

3 Likes

Axle Sleeves on Fixed Axle Friday

7 Likes

Is that a Proyo axle. Seems like there are two different ones, one like that, and one inside a disk?

1 Like

If the sleeve doesn’t spin, then I don’t see how it would be considered a transaxle anymore than a No-Jive is.

3 Likes

This is a Duncan C bearing sized axle sleeve from the newer Wheels Long Spin model. It is just a rebranded Butterfly XT with Hub Caps and this plastic bearing sleeve instead of a flat bearing like the XT. They are super lightweight at 50 grams. The bearing seat on the Duncan shells makes it behave more like a transaxle.

1 Like

I’m sorry, I was referring to the one Miguel Correa was using. I should have been clearer…

2 Likes

I’m jealous of @gcoomans’ all plastic fixed axle. Wish I had one. Lol!

Poly string on a plastic yoyo is a really nice. Even nicer is the feeling of poly on an all-plastic yoyo (even the axle is plastic).

4 Likes

Yeah, I’ve never heard of these, either. It’s pretty cool.

2 Likes

Someone used to make a delrin sleeve that converted C bearing yoyos to fixed. Mrcnja maybe? I think that was his username, he’s changed it and I can’t remember the new one lol.

3 Likes

So nice! I love pink on green that it has right now too

2 Likes

Haha I could try and make you one, but I doubt it would go over too well

2 Likes

oh wow, a plastic sleeve in a Bol2 is a brilliant idea! It’s funny you mention it, because plastic-sleeve=responsive-goodness is a subject in this month’s PopCast video.

8 Likes

This week here on the forums there was talk about yoyo envy and over the last few Fridays there have been some really nice yoyos shared within this thread. Since next friday will be kicking off Fixed Axle February I thought I would share one of my all time favorites and the one yoyo that has been a constant in my life. The one and only Duncan Butterfly. Everyone knows the Butterfly and everyone should have one in their collection as it is the most affordable and accessible yoyos to get your hands on. If you don’t have one go down to the local convenience store and there should be a few in the toy aisle. Lately I’ve been gravitating to my blue one weighing in around 51 grams and laced up with slick 6 which last for awhile, my green one from the early 2000s weights in at a light 45 grams. Its been considered a beginner throw by some, but to really shred them you need some serious skill. I think that’s why I find them so much fun as it keeps me honest, when you can rip through tricks and combos on a Butterfly you got it down. Show off your well loved Butterflys and happy Fixed Axle Friday.
20190125_043811 20190125_043910
On the shelf of my local corner store
20190122_153346

14 Likes

My local Target has only Butterfly XTs but they’re a mere $3 there so I almost always grab a couple. Not fixed axle, but they’re still pretty good provided you double-wrap the string so the response is more reliable.

4 Likes

70g made me wonder…, but I can STM with it! …like a boss…

Weird pic…

After years and years of trying, I can finally do Roller-coaster to String. :sunglasses:

12 Likes

Is that a cello?

3 Likes

Upright Bass

6 Likes