Fixed Axle Friday Throws

Good eye, that was your old Sullivan you put up on the BST. A fixed axle kwyjibo slayer. How is your year of Fixed Axle going?

3 Likes

What’s that tiny metal top there, Mike?

1 Like

I’ve been throwing a Spinworthy Ballsy I made for myself out of Australia sheoak yesterday.

Sheoak was named that because it was considered to be softer than regular oaks (she-oak). Funny thing is, is that Australian sheoak is a lot harder than any other oak I know of.

20190112_070702

11 Likes

https://shop.yoyoexpert.com/collections/spin-tops/products/micro-spin-top

I get quite a feeling of accomplishment just to hit a boomerang with it! It is not easy, for me at least.

It’s fixed tip, so I count that as fitting in with fixed axle. Fixed Axle and Tip Friday

6 Likes

That’s surprisingly heavy for a maple yoyo with a walnut wood thread axle.

Doesn’t even the big 20 ehteen weigh in at about 50g?

2 Likes

Is that Ballsy stained or is that the natural color for Austrailian sheoak? Beautiful looking finish.

1 Like

I put a natural finish on my yoyos made of citrus and tung nut oils. It’s food safe, so there’s nothing nasty in it.

That’s its natural colour.

5 Likes

I’ll ask anyone who severly allergic to nuts before using it on a yoyo they’ve asked me to make them. It’s possible it could affect them.

If that’s the case, I can just use mineral oil for theirs.

2 Likes

I know this might be a very stupid question but what exactly is fixed axle? Is it like a normal yoyo just without a ball-bearing?

1 Like

Thats basically it. This was how YoYos were originally constructed, ball bearing yoyo weren’t really popular until the mid-nineties.

2 Likes

I’d look at it more like unresponsive yoyoing is like a normal yoyo with a bearing. :smile:

Fixed axle is a solid non moving axle.

2 Likes

Thanks guys! =)

1 Like

Not sure, I’ll try to weigh them when I get a minute. My Gold Currier is 56-58g I believe. It was a weight range that I was looking for.

2 Likes

I’ll be in my garage all day for Fixed axle Friday turning Harbingers for a store order. Made a few puplehearts, now onto Australian sheoak.

20190117_083224

9 Likes

My yoyos:

2018 eH maple - 55g
Maple Sullivan - 63g
Maple take apart Currier - 55g

4 Likes

63g is very heavy for a maple yoyo.

1 Like

I was actually shocked, it doesn’t play that heavy. Thought it was in the mid to upper 50’s. Actually, someone asked me a year or so ago about various weights of my fixed axle collection and most of my maples were mid 50’s or higher.

I’ve got a couple No Jives that are in the upper 40’s, but most of those are low/mid 50’s as well.

3 Likes

I quite like heavier fixed axle yoyos. That Harbinger in the picture above weights about 67g. I was just surprised that an maple yoyo with no metal parts would weigh that much.

3 Likes

Whenever my Ballsy gets here, it will be that next Friday’s fixed axle throw!

3 Likes

Kicking it off with my plastic from @Glenacius_K will probably throw in my Duncan butterfly later today

8 Likes