Fixed Axle Friday Throws

Does fixed tip count? YYF Short Circuit.

fixed%20friday%20e

10 Likes

It does in my book :slight_smile: Nice pic!

2 Likes

Its fixed and its Friday, so yes

2 Likes

Last few weeks I’ve been throwing some classic plastics. Today I’m back to throwing one of the newest 2019 TMBR releases, the Morrow in Cherry. Definitely one of my favorites of this year so far. Its starting to break in nicely and of course its laced with the best fixed axle100% cotton YYE Type-10 string.

Have a good #fixedaxlefriday YYEF :call_me_hand:let’s see some pics :camera_flash:

12 Likes

My five year old found this Imperial for me at a rummage sale today. I haven’t played with one in thirty years.

10 Likes

So, yeah. This steel axel is not as nice as wood.

2 Likes

Why do you think the steel isn’t as good as wood? Not as responsive? Too slippy?

I’d love to know how people felt on the two different types material.

3 Likes

Probably less about the axle and more about starburst or lack thereof… you need a response area.

5 Likes

I’m sure the starburst is a big part of the overall play, and much of what I’m feeling. But I also really appreciate the feel (and sound) of the yo-yo just spinning on the string. A wood axle just feels distinctive, and I like it more than the steel. I also appreciate a nice smooth bearing, but that’s a different feel too.

3 Likes

It all plays a part in the yoyo response.

3 Likes

Yeah wood, even waxed smoothed wood, has a ton of resistance though, I definitely notice that

4 Likes

@YOHANS said it best back in November

6 Likes

I finally got a batch of cotton strings for my fixie throws, and now im having a bit of an issue with response. Do people normally wax the string at the end for increased grab when the string is neutral tension and doesnt want to respond? Asked another way, how can I improve the response of my wooden yoyos that don’t want to respond at neutral tension? I want to do kickflips and such, but those tricks kind of require neutral tension, and atm none of my fixies want to respond very well at that tension.

edit: apparently so. I used a little bit of my Burt’s Bees lip balm on the loop and the response is perfect in all my throws now. Is this normal tuning?

5 Likes

Burt’s Bees is the way to go! Some people will advise against it but I will always be an advocate.

There’s nothing worse than an unresponsive fixle, and nothing beats the feeling of throwing a kickflip at the end of a long stall combo.

4 Likes

What do other people do to tighten up the response then? I thought I remember seeing people debate using Burts Bees so I figured that I would try it, and it worked perfectly. I can’t imagine wanting to double wrap a fixie, so what else? And yea, doesn’t get much worse than an unresponsive fixie, so annoying.

2 Likes

The control and manipulation of string tension is one of the subtlies of fixed axle play. I don’t use wax. What I do is throw a tightening sidewinder to my left as I’m right handed dominantly. Then I throw a few Planet Hops to heat and break the string in and let it neutralizes itself. Remember response is friction. Then I start jamming, using Sidewinders, Loops and Fence Hops to dial in the string tension. If I want to do flips I get it neutral and stall and flip. If I want longer spin times I loosen the tension and use a Fly Away Dismount and gravity to help the yo come back.

6 Likes

Fixed axle is all about string tension. It’s probably the most important part of fixed axle play. You can go from having a yoyo that is pretty much unresponsive, to having one that is super responsive all via the tension you have.

6 Likes

Yea, I get all that, but since modern fixie play occasionally requires neutral tension, I am going to need the yoyo to respond at neutral tension. I’ve been using poly string on my fixies for a while, so I’m not as familiar with dialing it in with cotton. I guess I now see why some of you are against wax. I’m gonna use it anyways, so much better than having to really crank the torsion to get it to respond.

3 Likes

Dunno if that count as Fixed axle :slight_smile:

I love so much spintops!!

7 Likes

So impressive @paxl13. So people know, that top is solid wood and weighs around a half pound, 225 grams or so!

5 Likes